1360 calories

Options
Is it me or is this amount of calories next to nothing? I feel that if I don't practically eat grass then I'm going to go over my calorie allowance! How can I keep it down?

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    What's your height, weight, age and activity level?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    If you got 1360 from My Fitness Pal - then 1360 is BEFORE exercise. Add exercise, earn more calories.

The key to keeping calories down (for me) is making more of them count. This is something you will get better at over time. You will figure out what food items are filling for you and what items give you good portions.

I tweak most of my recipes - Skinny Taste and Cooking Light have great websites to help you.
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I don't eat any grass and I net 1250. I eat closer to 1500 day, and I get the extra calories from exercise. Feel free to check out my diary.
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I should add, in case you do check out my diary, that I have strep throat so what I've eaten yesterday and today are not typical.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Making smart choices makes it not terrible and exercise makes it pretty simple. That's my net for 1lbs per week loss and on the days I make sure to pack out my meals with veg I have no issues whatsoever with room for treats.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    like others said - if you are doing the MFP NEAT process - then eat some of your calories back, or you can run your stats through a TDEE calculator - which takes activity level into account and use a higher number/not eat calories back
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Is your goal too agressive?
    If you are 50+ lbs overweight a goal of 1.5 - 2 lbs a week could be fine. If you are 50 lbs or less overweight set your goal for 1 lb a week. If you are 20 lbs or less overweight try .5 lb a week. Choose something you can sustain long term.

Get more active and get more calories. You are supposed to eat some of the calories you earn from exercise.

Eat more lower calorie vegetables, leaner meats, smaller portions of: cheese, peanut butter, bread, rice, pasta, creamy sauces, desserts, chips, dressings and condiments. Choose baked or grilled foods instead of fried more often.
    Use less calories on drinks.

Plan your eating. I find pre-logging my day of food helpful.

I have 1200 calories without exercise. With exercise it is more like 1400- 1600. This is how I typically eat.
    Breakfast- Greek yogurt, granola bars, cereal with milk, sandwich, dinner leftovers, fruit, cottage cheese (about 200-300 calories)
    Lunch- sandwich, salad, or dinner leftovers (about 300-500 calories)
    Dinner- something different every night of the month. (about 500-600 calories) I have soup once a week usually.
    Snacks- things like fruit, chips, popcorn, pretzels, chocolate, cookies, granola bar, carrots, celery, broccoli, trail mix, deviled eggs, pickles, cottage cheese (about 100-300 calories)
  • szkodzt
    szkodzt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I find keeping my protein around 100g keeps me satisfied in less calories
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Some days I'm at 1300 or so. MFP gives me 1500 but I'm often a couple hundred calories under.

On 1300 calories usually I eat a light breakfast maybe 200 - 300 calories. This is maybe a Greek yogurt (Yoplait 100 calories), a piece of fruit, and some granola or a granola bar. It also can be two large eggs (120 calories boiled), a piece of fruit, and a serving of turkey sausage or turkey bacon.

Lunch typically will be a little larger. Maybe 400 calories. Typically a sandwich with turkey, spinach, tomato, and a slice of cheese + a serving of chips or a salad or a serving of soup.

This leaves dinner around 500 - 600 calories and the options for it are endless.
  • kkress92
    kkress92 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    If you do all of the above and are still finding 1360 too restrictive, you can always increase your daily calorie goal by 1-200 calories (or even more) and just accept a slower rate of weight loss. MFP allows you to customize as you wish. Once you get a handle on food choices, you can drop it later if you want. Nothing is set in stone and as long as you are in a deficit, you will lose weight.
  • Michelle2622017
    Michelle2622017 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Increase it to 1500 and exercise.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Try lowering the amount of your food that is dense starchy items (bread/rice/potatoes/corn/etc) and increasing protein content. The former, eaten alone, can often leave you feeling hungrier a short time later and craving more.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Adding vegetables to recipes will give you meals with more volume for less calories and will be more satisfying.