push up club

Options
Hi All,

I started doing 20 push ups in the morning and 20 in the evening, using the push up handles you might have seen, with correct form, and not too fast, actually kinda slow. I'm now doing 25 in the morning and 25 in the evening. 50 per day. My goal is to get up to 100 per day, and just make it a routine. When I get up to 100 per day, I'll post a video of me doing all 100 with correct form. Anyone else want to join me on a quest to do X number of push ups per day? Whatever your goal, when you reach it, you get to post a vid of you doing all of them with correct form, and I propose tracking everyone's in the club's progress with a shared Google Excel spreadsheet, as well as posting your push ups every day on MFP. Anyone with me?

Replies

• GreenSkinnyJeans
    GreenSkinnyJeans Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    COUNT ME IN!!
    I do 25 push ups everytime i go to the bathroom...And i pee alot, so that's over 100 a day : ).
    Though my goal is only 40 consecutive pushups....
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    You guys are amazing. I can do about 6 push ups before I just can't lift myself anymore. Great job :)
  • rider797
    rider797 Posts: 52
    Options
    my buddy just challenged me to work to try to do 500 proper push ups in a row...i took the challenge and am now working towards it!
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I'm in!

Last time I checked I could do 44 consecutively and I am shooting for 100 consecutively.

I work on push-ups twice every other day. I do four sets of 22 with one minute rest. (so I currently do 176 every other day) If on my fourth set I can do two extra then I drop the rest time by 5 seconds the next time I work on push-ups. When I get down to about 20-25 seconds rest I retest my max and start again at one half my max with one minute rest. I don't use handles right now but am going to look into them.

Don't know if it's a good system. I came up with it myself.

I'm using the same system to do chin-ups. Current max 12, shooting for 20.
  • Fayve
    Fayve Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'd love to do that! Right now I can only do 10-15 at a time with good form, and it's taken me a while to get there. I'm sure I could do them even better (going lower, slower, etc.) before I decide to add more.

So I guess I'll start at 20 a day, and use the best form I can. I'd love to get up to 50 a day total!
  • tkdgirl23
    tkdgirl23 Posts: 36
    Options
    I can do maybe three, real push-ups and about 25 fake ones (on knees) ..I am working on losing weight and getting stronger for my martial arts.. So count me in! :bigsmile:
  • editara13
    editara13 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    My record is 100 consecutively, but for my everyday workout routine is: 3 sets of 50 push ups with the handles.......

3574379.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • eversits
    eversits Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I am in. As of now, I can do 31 male push ups...I would like to go as high as I can go. In two months of doing push ups everyday gave me a natural breast lift (yiippeeee). I am loving how it transforms my body. Good luck to everyone!!!
  • B3Streeter
    B3Streeter Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I love it! I just beat a GUY that I work with in a push-up contest. I did 38 in a row with proper form. beat by a girl. haha. So I'd love to do 50 a day! and breaking it up will be nice.
  • chicago_dad
    chicago_dad Posts: 357
    Options
    Wow-- great response everyone! Thanks!

OK-- I *quickly* created a shared google spreadsheet here:
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0As4YnmTo3HH5dHEySFlyWk95TWJBMTd4M0lXdUp2eHc&hl=en_US

Anyone with the link can edit it, so please edit away. If you want to ADD columns, please do. :-)

Also, everyone on the google doc list should friend everyone else in the club. (Please add me as a friend too)

-Zev
  • kwaters7
    kwaters7 Posts: 129
    Options
    Well done bro!

The 100 push ups challenge is a great way to get there in 6 weeks or so. http://hundredpushups.com I managed 129 after 6 weeks. You have inspired me to try 200 in a row tho.

My end of year goal is 50 good form reverse grip chinups - up to 31 atm... i find that they are pretty brutal after 20 but will try and add 3 a month to my p.b.

As for the dude trying 500, THAT's like running 3 marathons back to back. Would be incredible if he could pull it off...

keep it up!
  • rider797
    rider797 Posts: 52
    Options
    i just pulled off my first marathon...and triatolone....so this was a welcomed challenge!
  • mark03264
    Options
    Thanks Zev!

I have added myself to the spreadsheet and added a couple columns.
  • Fayve
    Fayve Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Added myself to the spreadsheet, thanks! Hope I can stay accountable to this- as easy as it is to get down and do 10-15 pushups time-wise, it's just as easy to find something else to do and pretend to forget about it :)

I would love to be able to do pull-ups as well (on this train of thought). My dad owns a pull-up bar, and I can't do a single one unassisted. This kind of training might get me closer to being able to do one or two though!
  • eversits
    Options
    I added myself!!! Yippe...
  • JHunter75
    JHunter75 Posts: 14
    Options
    Sounds cool. I'm in!
  • spiritcrusher
    spiritcrusher Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    No pushups here but I'm trying to benchpress double my body weight. :'(
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Good little challenge. I don't do them too often, more as part of circuits. My most consecutive was 65. Most consecutive one arm pushups alternating every 15 was 120.

Just a note, don't forget to do some inverted rows/pullups to work the upper back/shoulders as you don't want to create muscular imbalances from too many pressing motions.
  • mark03264
    Options
    I alternate days. Push-ups one day, Chin-ups the next. I also do some pull-ups on chin-up day.
  • eversits
    Options
    Okay, I have pretty much done 70 or over push ups. I also added weights to my push ups. ;-)