juicing

Options
I am very picky eater. I don't eat my fruit and vegetables like I should. I have been looking into juicing to try to get those healthy nutrients in. I know store bought juices aren't as healthy as doing it myself but I was wondering if anyone can recommend a kind that I can try to get use to the flavors before I go buy a expensive juices?!?!?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I think if you find the flavors of fruit and vegetables troublesome, you'll struggle even more with the juice.

I suggest trying one new fruit or vegetable per week. Find something that you want to try. If it's something you can't eat raw, google recipes that includes that item.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    V8 makes a fruit flavored juice that supposedly has vegetable juice in it, though it is pretty high in calories and I prefer not to drink my calories.

Have you not found any vegetables that you like? Have you researched other cooking methods? My kids hate steamed broccoli but like it roasted or in stir-fry. They also hate steamed carrots but like them when I make "carrot fries" in the oven. I would try different types of vegetables and different cooking methods for them before I ran out and started buying sugary juices or buying an expensive juicer.
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Whole fruits and veggies are better so you get the fiber benefit! Juicing is expensive and messy. I tried it for a month before tossing it out the door. The suggestion to introduce something new each week is a good one. And there are lots of ways to bury them into other things you do like.
  • Ashleyfit148
    Ashleyfit148 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone! I will start trying different things and different ways of cooking! I do like a few vegetables but can not stand fruit!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I am very picky eater. I don't eat my fruit and vegetables like I should. I have been looking into juicing to try to get those healthy nutrients in. I know store bought juices aren't as healthy as doing it myself but I was wondering if anyone can recommend a kind that I can try to get use to the flavors before I go buy a expensive juices?!?!?

I have a low sodium V8 pretty much every day...I don't know why it wouldn't be as healthy as doing it myself...I think it's perfectly healthy.
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone! I will start trying different things and different ways of cooking! I do like a few vegetables but can not stand fruit!

I'm asking because I'm insanely curious (LOL), is it the texture? The sweetness? Most people seem to hate veggies if they are going to pick one not to like. Have you ventured outside of the normal apples, bananas, oranges, etc? Again, only asking because I'm kind of fascinated. :)
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    My kids wouldn't eat veggies, so I would puree steamed veggies and put those into ice cube trays. Whenever I made spaghetti, I would toss in some of the frozen cubes to add more veggies to the mix. They never noticed.

Sometimes it's just a matter of finding a really great recipe with the different veggies.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    My kids wouldn't eat veggies, so I would puree steamed veggies and put those into ice cube trays. Whenever I made spaghetti, I would toss in some of the frozen cubes to add more veggies to the mix. They never noticed.

Sometimes it's just a matter of finding a really great recipe with the different veggies.

This^

There are cookbooks out there for people who dislike veggies........

Deceptively Delicious: Simple Secrets to Get Your Kids Eating Good Food

The Sneaky Chef: Simple Strategies for Hiding Healthy Foods in Kids' Favorite Meals

The No-Cry Picky Eater Solution: Gentle Ways to Encourage Your Child to Eat―and Eat Healthy

You don't have to like all fruits & veggies.....just expand your palate a bit more.
  • WayTooHonest
    WayTooHonest Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I think if you find the flavors of fruit and vegetables troublesome, you'll struggle even more with the juice.

I disagree. I don't juice so much as I puree, because I don't want to lose the fiber. And I get a LOT more veggies and fruits since I started. It's a matter of finding the recipes you like. Veggies? Gazpacho is my FAVORITE. I add a jalapeno for the heat.
  • Ashleyfit148
    Options
    Stella3838 wrote: »

I'm asking because I'm insanely curious (LOL), is it the texture? The sweetness? Most people seem to hate veggies if they are going to pick one not to like. Have you ventured outside of the normal apples, bananas, oranges, etc? Again, only asking because I'm kind of fascinated. :)

Its a texture thing. I have tried a lot lately just to see if I can handle it but it still isn't my favorite.
  • Ashleyfit148
    Options
    I bought some V8 juice to try and I am going to look into those cookbook/recipes to find some to try. Thank everyone!
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I personally think that juicing takes out a lot of the good of the fruit/veggies- the fiber! Texture wise- did you grow up with canned veggies? We always had canned beans and the first time I had fresh beans it was like 'wth is this?' Which particular texture so you dislike?
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Put your big girl panties on and just start eating fruit, after awhile you will get used to it
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I have recently started adding spinach/kale and frozen fruits to my protein shakes to get a few more micronutrients. As long as you don't go overboard with the volumes of the stuff, you won't notice the taste.