Can someone help me please?

Options
I am on a restart that isn't working.....here is my issue....i have no clue how much i should be eating or what my activity level should be.

Here are some facts:
I'm 38/f
I'm 5'2"
Weight 158

I walk anywhere from 5k-10k steps a day and have a fit bit that tracks my steps. I haven't started doing any extra exercise yet.

I know MFP has me set at 1200 calories but the more i walk the more calories I get. Should I have my Activity level set as not very active, slightly active or active? I sometimes eat back some of my calorie adjustment from my steps but i don't seem to be losing any weight :(

I'd like to lose about 30 pounds....so 1 pound a week is my goal right now.

I would appreciate anyone that can give me some sort of direction because I'm at a total loss right now....and it's not weight loss lol

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    brentsgurl wrote: »
    I am on a restart that isn't working.....here is my issue....i have no clue how much i should be eating or what my activity level should be.

Here are some facts:
    I'm 38/f
    I'm 5'2"
    Weight 158

I walk anywhere from 5k-10k steps a day and have a fit bit that tracks my steps. I haven't started doing any extra exercise yet.

I know MFP has me set at 1200 calories but the more i walk the more calories I get. Should I have my Activity level set as not very active, slightly active or active? I sometimes eat back some of my calorie adjustment from my steps but i don't seem to be losing any weight :(

I'd like to lose about 30 pounds....so 1 pound a week is my goal right now.

I would appreciate anyone that can give me some sort of direction because I'm at a total loss right now....and it's not weight loss lol

1200 is a default minimum before exercise. It's based on "I want to lose xx pounds per week." If 1200 isn't something you can do consistently then set your calories a bit higher. You will lose slower, but staying the course is most important.

Your FitBit should compare your actual activity to your stated activity. You earn more calories when you go above. Enable negative calories and you will have calories taken away when you are below. I would pick lightly active & then see how it goes. You can always readjust later.

If you are not losing on 1200 check your logging. Are you using a food scale for solids and measuring cups for liquids. Double check your database selections - some are flat out wrong.

Sometimes people expect weight loss to be faster than it is. One pound a week would be good progress for you. That one pound could easily be masked by water weight (time of month, high sodium, sore muscles, waste).

Edited to add: Enable Negative Adjustments - Settings - Diary Settings
  • brentsgurl
    brentsgurl Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much...
    So if I choose Sedentary it will just give me more calories for my exercise and if I'm lightly active it will give less depending on my fitbit steps and exercise logged (starting to hit the gym today).
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    brentsgurl wrote: »
    Thanks so much...
    So if I choose Sedentary it will just give me more calories for my exercise and if I'm lightly active it will give less depending on my fitbit steps and exercise logged (starting to hit the gym today).

Yes. Pick what you are most comfortable with.

Here's a link to the FitBit group

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users