I want to start strength training. Advice needed

Options
Hi everyone,

So I've started on my weight loss journey, i have over 50 pounds to lose. I would really like to incorporate resistance training into my schedule as I want to feel fit and strong. As a beginner female are there any strength training programmes/books/exercises anyone could recommend? I am initially planning on working out at home (dumbbells/free weights). Any advice is highly appreciated.

Replies

• HeyJude007
    HeyJude007 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Me too, Advice
  • sfdeva
    sfdeva Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You're really smart to think about adding strength training into your fitness routine. I really like Fitness Blender (.com). I'm getting ready to do one of their free videos right now. The creators, a couple Kelly and Daniel, really promote strength training as a component of your exercise routine. I finally got a nice set of dumbbells last xmas, but before that I did their body weight only strength training videos (or used my 5 lb weights). I've been (more or less) maintaining my weight with them for about three years now (I also do their HIIT videos). They are smart, motivational, and have a ton of free videos to choose from. Anything from 5 minutes to 90 minutes. These videos are a great option if you can motivate yourself to workout at home. Good luck!! I think you'll need to give yourself about 3 - 5 weeks of consistent strength training before you'll really see the results. I'm starting over from a couple months of doing nothing, so I know how hard those first few weeks can be. Stick with it!!
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    for home based work out I'd +1 @sfdeva and recommend fitnessblender for some introductory strength training.

I'd all so add in Mark Lauren's You Are Your own Gym book/app which uses mainly body weight for strength work and has progressive (increasingly difficult) work outs for you to use as you get stronger.

For gym based work outs check out this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you#latest
  • carlavaughan
    carlavaughan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    @sfdeva @StealthHealth Thank you both so much for your advice. I'm going straight over to check these out now.
  • gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Best thing I did was invest in a personal trainer. Ok its not cheap but if you only do it for a short while they will give you good advice on nutrition and proper form. And before you ask - no I'm not a trainer I'm just like you I wanted to get stronger.
  • FlufferCat
    FlufferCat Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Have a look at the Starting Strength channel on YouTube.It's all about beginning weightlifting.They also have a book out.
    There are a number of good lifters on YouTube.Alan Thrall,Megsquats,Athlene-X.
    I've been lifting for ages so I do enjoy watching good lifters.But I can hardly remember starting.It must have been learning from magazines back then.
  • carlavaughan
    carlavaughan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    @FlufferCat Thanks a lot.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    As far as books go, I'd recommend Strong Curves (Bret Contreras) and Starting Strength (Mark Rippetoe). New Rules of Lifting seems like another good one, but I admit I only flipped through it at the book store. Wendler 5/3/1 is a good book, but I wouldn't really recommend the program to a beginner. If you're training at home, You Are Your Own Gym would be worth a look too.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i knew nothing when i got into it. i did stronglifts 5x5 and used starting strength as my main reference wrt the form.

i didn't find trainer time productive until i had been doing it long enough to know what my questions and challenges were. but that's me. i can overthink a glass of water quite legitimately, so in my case instruction justjust spawned a zillion more questions and 'misinterpretations' that i would not have thought up on my own.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    For those recommending 5x5 SL and Starting Strength note that OP works out at home and has access to dumbbells/free weights (which is unlikely to mean an Olympic bar, stands, and bench that is required for these programs).

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    For those recommending 5x5 SL and Starting Strength note that OP works out at home and has access to dumbbells/free weights (which is unlikely to mean an Olympic bar, stands, and bench that is required for these programs).

Understood, but the Starting Strength book is still a good read in itself. Just because she only has dumbbells now, doesn't mean that will be the case forever.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I would recommend a site called aworkoutroutine.com

It is comprehensive in explaining everything about lifting routines and even includes a very good beginner routine for free. He also has a book of several workout routines that I would also recommend.
  • gmjr44
    gmjr44 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know what I would log HIIT under?
  • FlufferCat
    Options
    Just to give a basic idea of what you can do at home.Dumbbells,or other simple weights can be used.You could do squats with a 20-30lb pound of sand,or cat litter.
    The most basic split will be Legs,The upper body Pushing Muscles,The upper body Pulling Muscles.
    You can do the whole upper body in one day if you don't have the time for three days a week.
    Otherwise you can do Legs/Push/Pull three days on one off,or one day on one off.Whatever works for your schedule.
    Start with a warm up to get your blood going.Walk around,shadow box.Just get moving.
    Start with compound movements.That means multiple joint exercises.Hips,and knees.Shoulders,and elbows.

Legs-Squats unweighted,squats with dumbbells,Lunges,Step-ups on a step block,calves raises.
    Push - Push ups,against a wall,or from your knees if you're not strong enough to do full push ups.Dumbbell presses from the floor,shoulder presses,triceps extensions.
    Pull-Dumbbell rows,bicep curls,forearm curls.You can do abs on this day too.Sit-ups or leg lifts.

The more equipment you have the more you can do.A bench helps.A barbell.You can do a lot at home.
    I started using home equipment when I was pretty young.I did go to a gym for awhile.But it's so convenient to have a home gym.I have a power rack,and pulley system.Bars.Dumbbells.Plates.And of course a plate tree,and dumbbell rack.I've just added to it over the years.
    Weight training is not really intimidating.Some people just like to make it look that way.The idea of resistance training is as straight forward as it gets.And it's tremendously adaptable to the individual.
  • FlufferCat
    Options
    gmjr44 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what I would log HIIT under?

You could enter it under Circuit Training,General under Cardio.That would be a good approximation of HIT.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    This was so helpful to me when I was getting started and working out at home with dumbbells: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/902569/barbell-routines-when-you-only-have-dumbbells/p1 Eventually I joined a gym and switched to barbell, but you can go a long way with dumbbells and don't ever need to switch if you don't want to.
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have been using the You are your own gym DVD and so far they have been great. There are 3 progression levels and when I peak at those I will reassess my goals to determine if Lifting is in my future to continue to progress. For now bodyweight is sufficient for my cardio (running) body.