came to MFP to lose, but now I have a different goal

Options
Jennyisbusy
Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
Where is a reliable place to learn about nutrition and exercise? Someplace that is not trying to sale me something, or get enough internet hits to take over the world.

I want to KNOW what types of nutrients my body needs and the amounts. It's not just a weight loss thing I am trying to build a body that can do amazing things - hike up a mountain, jump up in the bed of a truck, anything my kids can do, etc.

And finally I want to be able to sustain what I am doing (forever).

Replies

• HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    This may seem like an odd suggestion, but my college health textbook gave me a wealth of valuable information. :happy:

ETA: Of course you wouldn't have to buy something like that, just look for something similar in the library at a college nearby, maybe.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Sounds like my goals! I want to kick a** in fitness. I want to be able to run a 10k, hike a mountain, climb a rope, do headstand pushups, see my abs, and be the absolute healthiest I can be.

I use http://nutritiondata.self.com/ to inform myself of what I'm eating and I read a lot of nutrition and health articles.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Books :D

Easy reads:
    In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan
    Real Food by Nina Planck

If you really want to read:
    The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan
    What to Eat by Marion Nestle

Getting more into social matters and food, but still excellent nutrition reading:
    Food Politics by Marion Nestle
    Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser

The Omnivore's Dilemma is the first I read from that list. It was the catalyst that drove me away from fast food joints, Kraft dinners, and all the other junk I used to eat and made me start thinking about what I fed my body (quality, not just quantity), eventually putting me on the path to wellness.
  • alexg94
    alexg94 Posts: 44
    Options
    Go on youtube and search Scooby1961. He helps you in so many ways in exercise. He's also a real nice guy with a big heart who just wants to help you. The best part? All of it can be done at home and he never tries to sell you anything!

Scoobysworkshop.com is his site.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Options
    Books :D

Easy reads:
    In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan
    Real Food by Nina Planck

If you really want to read:
    The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan
    What to Eat by Marion Nestle

Getting more into social matters and food, but still excellent nutrition reading:
    Food Politics by Marion Nestle
    Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser

The Omnivore's Dilemma is the first I read from that list. It was the catalyst that drove me away from fast food joints, Kraft dinners, and all the other junk I used to eat and made me start thinking about what I fed my body (quality, not just quantity), eventually putting me on the path to wellness.

Thanks, I have a list to start off now :) BTW-I love Amelie!
  • Jennyisbusy
    Options
    Go on youtube and search Scooby1961. He helps you in so many ways in exercise. He's also a real nice guy with a big heart who just wants to help you. The best part? All of it can be done at home and he never tries to sell you anything!

Scoobysworkshop.com is his site.

Cool - I thought you might be joking so I went to check it out first. I bookmarked it and will spend some time there tonight.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I have a list to start off now :) BTW-I love Amelie!

My pleasure. They really are excellent books. Be prepared to completely overhaul your diet though :)

Amelie is one of my favorite movies. I really need to watch it again . . . maybe tonight :)
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite motto for nutrition, by Michael Pollan.

Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/28/magazine/28nutritionism.t.html
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    My favorite nutrition book from my nutrition courses in college is Melvin Williams book Nutrition for Health, Fitness, and Sport. I believe you can order it from Amazon and don't have to pay the outrageous prices at a college bookstore.

As for education, I highly recommend going back for college courses in exercise science and nutrition if you have a college nearby and the opportunity. Even if it is only 1 or 2 classes a semester, the education is so much better then just what you learn from a book or even in a certification.
  • MicheleMauldin
    Options
    Bump