Muscle does not weight more then fat

Options

Replies

• donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    lemur, what if that person in your office was not a football fan, had just attended their first game ever, and had just recently learned on their own that the Bears were actually an NFL team? Maybe he was just proud to let you know that he was now more knowledgeable in an area he was not schooled in before? Your attitude towards that person is pretty severe and harsh.

Do you know that thing about assuming? I think you are doing this. Not everyone who does not think like you are "uneducated", but your last comment certainly said a lot of what you think about yourself and others who do not participate on your same level of intelligence, whatever that might be.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    lemur cat: CattofTheGa wrote

"Because it is not true. Muscle DOES weigh more than fat." Or takes up less space. Tomato tomahto.

Anyway, the other question is one I would like a good answer to. It's often said on here that it's completely impossible to gain muscle mass while on a deficit, but other sources say that some beginner gains are possible, though after that first stage it flattens out. What is the truth?

Also, what is the story with gaining strength on a deficit? It's clearly possible to gain a lot of strength and muscle endurance while in a deficit, I've done it myself. How is that actually possible without gaining muscle mass? And if you can get stronger without gaining mass, why does bulking matter? Is it purely an aesthetic thing, or is there a ceiling to how strong you can get without adding mass?

strength gains does not equal muscle gains..

you are just training your muscles to work more efficiently with same amount of muscle mass ...

its like getting more productivity out of your workers without hiring any more staff.
  • donjtomasco
    Options
    lemur, I simply did you a favor by pointing out a particular post that said just what I told you a post (probably more) said. And yes, you are welcome. Your comment is probably the closest you will ever come to saying thank you to anyone. Oh, and it appears that you are never wrong either. These threads seem to expose who people really are.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    TR0berts is a perfect example to your last comment Lemurcat. Did you read what he said? lol.

Which one? Because at this point I am positive you are misreading.

Serious question: do you not know how to quote someone?

I have to assume he does not know how to quote, and I am starting to lean towards willful misreading.
  • ndj1979
    edited January 2017
    Options
    lemur, I simply did you a favor by pointing out a particular post that said just what I told you a post (probably more) said. And yes, you are welcome. Your comment is probably the closest you will ever come to saying thank you to anyone. Oh, and it appears that you are never wrong either. These threads seem to expose who people really are.

internet-serious-business.jpg
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    lemur, what if that person in your office was not a football fan, had just attended their first game ever, and had just recently learned on their own that the Bears were actually an NFL team?

This is Chicago. Seems implausible. No matter how bad they are.
    Maybe he was just proud to let you know that he was now more knowledgeable in an area he was not schooled in before? Your attitude towards that person is pretty severe and harsh.

This is a pretend situation, so I know 100% that he was assuming that I would not know who the Bears are in the context of "going to a Bears game."
    Do you know that thing about assuming? I think you are doing this. Not everyone who does not think like you are "uneducated", but your last comment certainly said a lot of what you think about yourself and others who do not participate on your same level of intelligence, whatever that might be.

Huh? I said I was probably overly sensitive to this, that it's a pet peeve.

But yeah, I think it's rude to explain something really obvious to someone else as if they wouldn't know it. I think it's better to wait for them to ask, and I tend to err on the side of them knowing, unless the context indicates otherwise. I am sure that despite this being what I think I do that I sometimes don't.

I did not say that anyone was uneducated for not thinking like me.

I believe that the POINT of my comment was that it's more polite to assume that others know things that you do unless you have reason to believe they wouldn't be common knowledge. I think that's treating them with respect and not assuming (with no reason) that I am way smarter or more educated than they are. Or that they don't know local sports teams.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Since we're being pedantic, a pint of water does not weigh a pound. Not even that close.

?? I just weighed a pint of water (U.S. pint of 16 fl. oz. or approximately 480 ml) on my kitchen scale and got 1 lb, 3/4 oz. I was assuming some combination of inaccuracy in my eye-balling of the measurement, the cup itself, or the scale accounted for the extra 3/4 oz.

480ml of fresh water weighs 480g. A pound is 454g. Granted it's not a million miles off but it's quite far from being the same (about an ounce of difference).

An Imperial pint like we use in the UK is approx 570ml, so an Imperial pint of fresh water weighs 570g, which is miles off.

Depends on the temperature of the water. Water density changes with temperature, which will change the weight of a given volume.
  • donjtomasco
    Options
    Thanks Kimmy! I have not mastered the in's and out's of quoting people but the copy paste was actually delivering the same comment just in a different way. I like that there are a few hall monitors in MFP, I just hope that I don't start getting fined by you and the others.
  • donjtomasco
    Options
    lemur, I give up. You are being defensive again about your assuming. I realize you have to be right about everything.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    How to quote:

Go to the post you want to quote and look at the bottom and hit the quote button.

The quoted bit will show up between something with the person's name and quote and a number, surrounded by square brackets and [ / quote ] at the end, without the spaces.

You can edit it to remove the parts you are not responding to or to bold part of it.

Then after it you can type a response.

Hope that helps!
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    lemur, I simply did you a favor by pointing out a particular post that said just what I told you a post (probably more) said.

But it doesn't. As I suspected. Do you have a response to my post?
    Your comment is probably the closest you will ever come to saying thank you to anyone.

Why don't you search for posts by me and the words "thank" or "thanks"?
    Oh, and it appears that you are never wrong either.

Thanks! I appreciate that. You are too kind, though, as I am most certainly sometimes wrong.
    These threads seem to expose who people really are.

Agreed! I insightful-ed you for this.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    lemur, I give up. You are being defensive again about your assuming. I realize you have to be right about everything.

Anyone that says the statement "muscle weighs more than fat" is incorrect has made an assumption. You are assuming they have equal weights of muscle of fat and are either lying about it or are too stupid to realize it.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    this thread is now a black hole of misquotations...
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    This is my favorite thread of the day.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Can I just say I'm not liking the word pedantic?

It angers me for some reason:).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Could someone link the thread?

Found it! Here, @lemurcat12 , 7th reply.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/36640231#Comment_36640231

Yay! Yes, that's it: Not imaginary, I knew I'd read something like that somewhere, someone really said a pound of muscle weighs the same as 6 pounds of fat. Just wow.
  • donjtomasco
    Options
    "What"?" '
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I can't believe I just read through this entire post. In, to find out how lemurcat is rude and presumptive and always has to be right about everything. Maybe in the Twilight Zone, 1 lb of muscle weighs more than 1 lb of fat?

• donjtomasco
    Options
    THANK YOU ANNPT77 and BLESS YOU!!! There is another one lemurcat. Do you need more? How many more will it take? Or will you somehow say that the comment is not saying what it is saying.....?
This discussion has been closed.