To Glove Or Not to Glove during lifts?

Options
What are your thoughts?
I personally don't.

Replies

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    No gloves. I don't even use straps. Just use chalk If you're worried about grip.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I've tried them several times due to having extremely sensitive skin. There are more drawbacks than advantages I think, I haven't used them in a couple years now.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Just chalk for me but I'm not very heavy yet. 200lb Deadlift so I haven't seen the need for something like straps.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Just chalk.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I've never worn gloves. I'm not sure what the purpose is.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    sometimes when the bar is about 30 degrees I'll wish I had them. Outside of that, nah.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    No...tried long ago and they screwed with my grip on deadlifts. Just calluses for me now.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    The only reason to wear gloves is if you have a skin tear on your hand. We don't want your DNA on the barbell.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    i wear them and i like them
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    no gloves for me
  • ColoradoChlo
    ColoradoChlo Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    No way. I love my calluses
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Nope, chalk
  • WayTooHonest
    WayTooHonest Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Do what works best for you and tell those who think otherwise to kitten off. >:)
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Do what works best for you and tell those who think otherwise to kitten off. >:)

You would tell somebody that for having a different opinion?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I didn't like how they messed with my grip. Solely chalk for now. I'm willing to try straps if I get to the point my grip (or lack thereof) is killing my deads. So far, I've made it to 315 1RM without.
  • WayTooHonest
    edited January 2017
    Options

Only if they are being a judgmental jerk because I am using XXX instead of YYY. I feel like people should do what they like best and are going to stick to. It's really that simple.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Only if they are being a judgmental jerk because I am using XXX instead of YYY. I feel like people should do what they like best and are going to stick to. It's really that simple.

Oh, it just seemed kind of random to me.

For the record, I don't wear gloves. I don't like callouses either though, so I file them off and then buff them out for silky smooth hands. It's almost a nightly routine.
  • trudie_b
    trudie_b Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I go back and forth. Literally. I put them on and take them off, depending on what I'm doing. I have very sweaty hands, and sometimes the gloves,are,essential, but between times I take them off because I hate wearing them.
  • WayTooHonest
    Options

Oh, it just seemed kind of random to me.

For the record, I don't wear gloves. I don't like callouses either though, so I file them off and then buff them out for silky smooth hands. It's almost a nightly routine.

I think I have tried them all. Started with gloves because I didn't want "man hands". Got over that. Used straps for a while when doing deads, especially once I crossed 225#. Then we got a hex bar. <3<3<3 Realized that neither is practical over the long term. Am I going to glove up to do yard work? So, now my bag is full of chalk. When I remember to pack it.
  • Whitbygramgirl
    Whitbygramgirl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    the most I've done so far is 80 lbs. - my trainer (at the time) said toughen up those hands, and no gloves!