HELP!!!

Options
I am a beginner

I am 21

Female

I weigh 244 pounds

5'8

I am trying to lose about 50 lbs..

has anyone tried the 21 day fix?? They have told me to eat around 2,300 cals a day.

Is that too much cals?

I am planning to exercise 7 days a week 30 minutes a day.

HELPP!!! :smile:

Replies

• LarryChuYatTung
    LarryChuYatTung Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, let me begin as I have successfully lost 15kg in 5 months straight.

Your plan to exercise 7days / 30mins per week. What type of exercise are you planning in the first place? Brisk wlak, jog or ??? In general, I guess for a 30min exercise / day, you will probably lose around 300-500 / session. So for a week, you are looking at around 2100 - 3500 kCal / week. That is equivalent to a 0.5kg weight loss / week.

Assuming you are targeting a weight loss (through diet ) of 1kg/week, you have to cut ~ 1000cal / day

based on your stat, your BMR is about 2500kcal / day (sedentary lifestyle).

So technically, you cannot eat more than 1500 Kcal / day and whatever you exercise, you should not be eating it back...
  • ramicharowland
    ramicharowland Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi, let me begin as I have successfully lost 15kg in 5 months straight.

Your plan to exercise 7days / 30mins per week. What type of exercise are you planning in the first place? Brisk wlak, jog or ??? In general, I guess for a 30min exercise / day, you will probably lose around 300-500 / session. So for a week, you are looking at around 2100 - 3500 kCal / week. That is equivalent to a 0.5kg weight loss / week.

Assuming you are targeting a weight loss (through diet ) of 1kg/week, you have to cut ~ 1000cal / day

based on your stat, your BMR is about 2500kcal / day (sedentary lifestyle).

So technically, you cannot eat more than 1500 Kcal / day and whatever you exercise, you should not be eating it back...

Thank you for your insight.. how much is "kg" in pounds? I think I am going to stick to 1000 - 1200
  • ConnieT1030
    ConnieT1030 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your insight.. how much is "kg" in pounds? I think I am going to stick to 1000 - 1200

A kilogram is about 2.2 pounds.

if you put your info into mfp, it can calculate for you what the amount is you should eat to meet a weekly loss goal, although it will not advise you to go under 1200 cal/day.

Its best not to look at weight loss as quick fix. Weight quickly lost generally is weight quickly re-added. You also lose more muscle mass that way. The slower you lose the more chance your body has to make an adjustment, especially if you have any stretched skin. You also get more used to the new way of eating and it becomes a permanent habit that you are less likely to drop afterwards, again which leads to going right back where you were.

Good luck on your journey.

• ramicharowland
    ramicharowland Posts: 43 Member
    Options

if you put your info into mfp, it can calculate for you what the amount is you should eat to meet a weekly loss goal, although it will not advise you to go under 1200 cal/day.

Its best not to look at weight loss as quick fix. Weight quickly lost generally is weight quickly re-added. You also lose more muscle mass that way. The slower you lose the more chance your body has to make an adjustment, especially if you have any stretched skin. You also get more used to the new way of eating and it becomes a permanent habit that you are less likely to drop afterwards, again which leads to going right back where you were.

Thanks so much...I have been eating better than usual for about 2 days now exactly. . I have a feeling I am not getting all the nutrients needed.. and I might be starving myself I have been eating almonds like crazy maybe about 24gs protein per day. (3 bags) 2 cups of chicken noodle soup( 130 cals ea.) and water and pop chips about 100 cal per bag 2 bags a day... If I eat the amount of calories I need but not all the nutrients will I still lose and be "healthy"??
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,939 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Do yourself a favour. Do not start with the 1200 silliness at your current weight. Right now you can lose weight more than fast enough and you can probably do it while eating well above 2000Cal if you are actually active

Also losing at a rate that will give you the opportunity to learn will do you a world of wonder.

Read the stickies (first posts at the top of the forum). In particular read the sexypants thread.

I am having trouble with the concept of sending someone to beach body. Yet, even the 21day fix is better than doing 1200 at your current levels.

Yes 2300 will have you losing weight and fast...assuming you are active enough.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above but also you said you only eat 24 grams of protein per day? That's insanely low. Be careful with eating almonds though. They're great, but calorie dense. There's around 160 calories in ~14 almonds. Things like that should be weighed on a food scale.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,939 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Thanks so much...I have been eating better than usual for about 2 days now exactly. . I have a feeling I am not getting all the nutrients needed.. and I might be starving myself I have been eating almonds like crazy maybe about 24gs protein per day. (3 bags) 2 cups of chicken noodle soup( 130 cals ea.) and water and pop chips about 100 cal per bag 2 bags a day... If I eat the amount of calories I need but not all the nutrients will I still lose and be "healthy"??

Wow friend! @Maxematics good catch! Are you eating BAGS of almonds for protein?! STOP

You really need to back track and get yourself some quick food education.

Calories are what you're trying to control. You need them to be accurate. WEIGHT your food on a scale. Use entries that have green check-marks. Down the road make sure that you personally verify entries that you use often or for foods with a lot of calories for the volume.

Eat protein. Aim for 0.8g+ of protein per lb of weight you will be when you hit a BMI of 25. In all probability we're talking 120 to 150g of protein here. if not a bit more. Assuming you don't have any kidney or other health issues that could be affected by eating 2x the RDA of protein. (eating more protein helps you feel satiated and protects your lean mass when you're eating at a deficit)

Good, low calorie sources of protein are egg whites, yogurt in general, 0% greek yogurt even more so, cottage cheese, milk, and similar products, salmon, other fish, lean meats (pork loin, chicken breast) and I am sure you can google sources of lean protein. If you are vegetarian combinations such as lentils with a little bit of rice or oatmeal or crackers or similar will also give you reasonably low calorie proteins. Tofu and mycoprotein may also be options. Again, google is your friend!

healthy fats. from fish, from olive oil, from anything that is unsaturated.

There is nothing wrong with POP chips... if you've eaten a wide assortment of other foods and taken in all the micro and macro-nutrients you need. You CAN eat pop chips during weight loss. And have chocolate or snickers bars.

However, you are much better off eating a variety of foods that help keep you full. And ONLY eating pop chips is not a great idea even if it helps you meet your caloric goal.

Have I done that (eaten only chocolates and met my goal)? Absolutely.

But it really bites when you're sitting there hungry because you've eaten your complete allowance in chips and chocolates that have left you feeling not very full!
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I just used numbers that MFP gives me ,, also lurk on this board you will learn a lot ..

Good luck

21 day fix scares me
  • mou_254
    mou_254 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Read through the forum posts and the stickies. There is a lot of solid information from well educated people, here. If you did not gain the weight in 21 days,you are probably not going to lose it in 21 days. Educate yourself about nutrition, buy a food scale,log honestly. Make some lifestyle changes. Don't make yourself miserable in the process,i.e, enjoy treats in moderation. Being active always helps. But you cannot out-train a bad diet. All the best on your journey!