Heavy lifting

Options
I am a 42 years old, have lost 10 lbs so far and need to loose about 10-15 more lbs. I only do elliptical right now. I am new at weight lifting, no idea where to start. Any advice.

Replies

• dbkyser
    dbkyser Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I started with the stronglifts 5X5 and love it.

• fatemaa
    fatemaa Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Great, thanks!
  • ColoradoChlo
    ColoradoChlo Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Start with low weight. Nothing to be ashamed of, I promise. You don't want to get hurt by lifting too much weight and straining yourself before you have focused on your form and get comfortable/familiar with lifting. I'd highly recommend following a program for beginners off of BodyBuilding.com. They help tremendously and you will see results. To start, I'd do about 4-5 sets of 10-12 reps. You'll start building muscle and getting stronger when you start lighter but do more reps. Eventually you can work up in weight and lower reps as your form is improved and strength increases. I've been lifting for a while now and trust me, it pays off to start from square one and do things right. :)
  • fatemaa
    Options
    That's a great advice. Thank you so much!
  • christopherpwhitworth
    Options
    Try body weight exercises. Improves strength and work core. Use a fitball for balance
  • ColoradoChlo
    Options
    Also, if you don't mind me replying again lol, I'd highly suggest separating muscle groups by day. For example, work chest one day, legs the next day, back the next day, then an arm day. It'll definitely help growth and definition to work specific groups at a time! I hope this helps! feel free to reach out for any advice as well! I have a quite a bit of knowledge regarding lifting and whatnot!
  • fatemaa
    Options
    You are so helpful, thank you so much. My main focus is core and arms. I need a flatter tummy and thinner and shaped arms. Can't wait to get started.
  • rdl81
    rdl81 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Also, if you don't mind me replying again lol, I'd highly suggest separating muscle groups by day. For example, work chest one day, legs the next day, back the next day, then an arm day. It'll definitely help growth and definition to work specific groups at a time! I hope this helps! feel free to reach out for any advice as well! I have a quite a bit of knowledge regarding lifting and whatnot!

Chlo I thought your first post was spot on......with the above though for a total beginner do you not think a full body rountine say 3-4 times a week might be a better starting point vs a split routine, at least to start with or even a push/pull/legs

• ColoradoChlo
    Options
    Sure thing! In the beginning, I started off doing a little bit of each body part each day... simply to start figuring everything out. A few weeks or couple of months in, I'd suggest the push/pull/leg routine!
    rdl81 wrote: »

Chlo I thought your first post was spot on......with the above though for a total beginner do you not think a full body rountine say 3-4 times a week might be a better starting point vs a split routine, at least to start with or even a push/pull/legs
  • floridamatty
    floridamatty Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    id say before you listen to Chlo, whose advice is the one to listen to, go to the gym with a plan, know exactly what your going to do, how many exercises, how many reps etc etc, figuring out the weight can only be done in the gym but start of light dont go there trying to be all macho or you'll fail or worse hurt yourself. Ive been lifting for 4 years, i carry with me at all times a notebook, that has all my workouts for the day, my reps, my weights, whether its Chest day, or leg day or arm day, I know what im doing for the entire month and I dont deviate unless I think im under or over doin it. good luck
  • trudie_b
    trudie_b Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I do a semi split routine. Two days are primarily upper body, two days lower. But I sprinkle a few little extras in as well, so I might do lunges on my upper body day, and tricep dips on my lower body day, for example. And I try to do compound moves wherever possible, like bridge press, or deadlift with row. I do this to maximise my workout efficiency, and also because I'd run out of gas if I tried to do an hour focusing ONLY on upper or lower.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Stronglifts 5X5, especially if you're new to lifting. Only five lifts to learn. You can go to the website, stronglifts.com, and watch videos to see how the lifts are supposed to be done. You can also download the app that will track your workouts, weights, and progress at the gym.

I <3 Stronglifts!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Absolutely, positively not. As a beginner, that's when the most strength and muscle gains (or muscle retention, as OP is still losing weight) would likely happen. Splitting up body parts wastes valuable training time/opportunity. At worst, an Upper/Lower 4-day split is what I would recommend. But, as a beginner, I'd almost definitely recommend a 3-day Full-Body routine. Of course, goals are important, but I wouldn't recommend a beginner do a typical Bro-Split.
  • ColoradoChlo
    Options
    Obviously there are a lot of varying opinions on here... but I would like to say that what I've done (and suggested) has clearly worked very well for me! I've become a fitness competitor/model and done very well. Maybe other things have worked for other people, too! Find what you love and what works for you :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Obviously there are a lot of varying opinions on here... but I would like to say that what I've done (and suggested) has clearly worked very well for me! I've become a fitness competitor/model and done very well. Maybe other things have worked for other people, too! Find what you love and what works for you :)

Its not to say brosplits dont work because they do, they just arent as effective as full body or splits.
  • ColoradoChlo
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Its not to say brosplits dont work because they do, they just arent as effective as full body or splits.

Oh for sure! Different ways of lifting and whatnot achieve different results! No arguing there :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Oh for sure! Different ways of lifting and whatnot achieve different results! No arguing there :)

If you look at the link there is a guide by greg nuckols that goes through strength training theory. Its really good. But in large, if you want to maximize results and are natty, then i would stay away from brosplits.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Body building, power lifting, physique competitor, etc...for those things I would recommend a split because you need the volume...for most people, and especially beginners I would recommend a full body program. Most fitness junkies and athletes that I know personally who aren't either a body builder, power lifter, or physique competitor don't do splits save for the couple of guys I know who really only like to lift and don't do much else.

As a cycling enthusiast, a split would take up a lot of valuable training time from my bike. I'd say as a matter of general fitness and being an "all arounder", a full body program is suitable for most and most will do very well with it. I've always viewed a split as something to do if you have goals that are almost exclusively with have a competitors physique or you just like spending a ton of time in the weight room.
  • fatemaa
    Options
    Thank you everyone for taking the time out and for all your advice and opinion. I think I have a pretty good idea of how I want to get started.