HOT SAUCE

Options

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Who uses *that* much hot sauce to worry about a lot of sodium from it?

I'd hate to think of the, um, er, um, afterburn.

OP, use hot sauce.

I go through a bottle of Frank's a week. True story.

You use that ish on everything, right? :)

I love hot sauce. The hotter, the better!

I have a tablespoon of it over cottage cheese for breakfast! That's just for starters ;-)

I use a tablespoon of sriracha over cottage cheese for breakfast every day. And I go through a bottle of sriracha every 2 weeks, so I feel you.
  • bexilashious
    bexilashious Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I add tobasco to pretty much everything lol
  • _HK_
    _HK_ Posts: 27 Member
    Options

OP, use hot sauce.

I was wondering that. I love hot sauce but not enough for me to eat soo much that i can't sit down the next day :D
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options

OP, use hot sauce.

My son practically drinks the stuff.

*whispers* I do... sometimes... out of a teaspoon.

He drinks it straight from the jar or out of a small wine glass. A teaspoon seems more reasonable.

I bow to the master!!

x2 Impressive!

I can't live without my Tabasco, crushed red peppers, and hot (or extra hot) salsa!
  • MaybeLed
    MaybeLed Posts: 250 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

OP, use hot sauce.

I go through a bottle of Frank's a week. True story.

I love Frank's, I think I get through a bottle a fortnight.

This is too much though: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2015/jun/30/i-ate-sriracha-hot-sauce-on-everything-for-an-entire-day

OP, unless you have a medical condition where sodium is an issue for you, why does it matter?

ETA: my husband buys loads when it's on sale, so always have a stash for emergencies
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Habernaro and lately Sriracha for me. My morning coffee is the only thing that doesn't get doused in the stuff lol.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    High sodium may cause water retention but it is not stopping fat loss. It is a staple to make bland food edible for me.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    The sodium can be a little high, but salsa and hot sauce can make *meh* foods yummy without a lot of calories added. Salsa is veggies, too.

You can also consider adding red pepper flakes or fresh cut hot peppers to food if sodium is an issue.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Retaining weight due to salty food is NOT the same as gaining fat. Water retention is small, temporary and self-limiting and people worry about it way too much. Hot sauce has hardly any calories, which is what matters.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    They can pry my ghost pepper sauce from my cold dead fingers..

I use hot sauce in place of taco sauce, on eggs, etc..much better than ketchup to me.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Personally, I never worry about sodium too much. I love hot sauce and sodium just causes water retention, so its just temporary. Hot Sauce itself has a minuscule amount of calories. If you like it, eat it!
  • 4homer
    4homer Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Hot sauce is my crack. Omg I got Sriracha ketsup and I fell in love. Never going back to regular ketsup.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I use a ton of hot sauces, but when I had to cut sodium, I bought Alex's ugly sauce. It has 5mg sodium in 5ml.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Hot sauce has helped my fiancé in the past with healthy eating. I'm not much of a spicy eater, personally, but it definitely helps with adding a kick of flavor. Just be smart about it, and enjoy what you like! :)
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I probably have 9 hot sauces in my fridge right now. I use very hot habanero sauce on a lot of meals. A little goes a long way!
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    www.mnn.com/food/healthy-eating/blogs/good-news-hot-heads-hot-sauce-is-good-you

It is good for you, and like others said, you usually don't eat large quantities at one sitting.

Eat it!
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Make your own as a supplement from time to time, it's amazing, and a lot less sodium. But as long as you are drinking plenty of water the sodium shouldn't be a problem. I was just looking it up, and it seems a 12oz bottle of franks would average out to 1900mgs of sodium a day if had a bottle a week.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I love hot sauce. It has zero negative effects for me. My preferred brand is Cholula.
  • mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about it.

I use hot sauce almost daily. When I make cauliflower buffalo wings I use 1/4 to 1/2 cup for the sauce and eat the entire amount that I make. It has never made a difference for me outside of minor water weight gain sometimes.