question for those who workout first thing in the morning...?

Options
hi,
i was just wondering how you do your morning.
i usually workout at home after baby has gone to bed (6:30/7pm) and before i've cooked dinner for my husband and i. it's annoying to be honest so i'm thinking of doing it in the morning instead. i'm up at 6:30am so have window to do it before the house wakes up and i leave for work but do you eat or drink beforehand? the thought of exercise at 6:30 on an empty stomach makes wonder ....

thank you

Replies

• slinky_shaz
    slinky_shaz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    sorry meant to add - if you do eat/drink, what do you have and how long before? thanks
  • DavidRocketts
    DavidRocketts Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Definitely drink some water or something as your body dehydrates a bit overnight. I favour something light like half a grapefruit, or an apple, then breakfast after exercise. Working out on an empty stomach makes some feel faint. I'm okay with it but a small drink is important at least I think...
  • robspot
    robspot Posts: 130 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I get up at 5:30 and start workout about 6. Even if I had time to eat I wouldn't want to that early. I drink a glass of water on waking up and then just use water for anything up to an hour's workout. Eat afterwards when it's very welcome! If you struggle without food you could always try upping your evening carbs a bit but I don't find it an issue.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    I do our meal prep the night before while I'm making supper. As far as the mornings go, up @ 4:30am, drink suppliments then pack everyone food for the day. In gym at 5:20. Drink 1 protein shake before I workout and one directly afterwads. Shower @ 7am and at work at 7:45. Then I eat breakfast, which is usually something light.
  • EauRouge1
    EauRouge1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I go running first thing. I don't often eat, but if I do then it's usually something small-ish like a handful of raising or half a banana (I have a 5 year old, my fridge always has a half-eaten banana in there). I also have a couple of buckets of milky coffee. I don't run very long distances though, under 10k at the moment. I hate running on a full stomach so I don't eat a proper breakfast until afterwards.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If I am lifting weights, I get up at 4:45 and have eggs and toast or oats, coffee, and fruit before exercising. If I'm doing cardio I don't eat beforehand.
  • Elegra2006
    Elegra2006 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything before crossfit or lifting in the morning, just drink a little bit on my way to the gym. I find it doesn't make much difference and actually like the 'light' feeling in the morning.

Makes me really appreciate my breakfast after!
  • AuthorNinja
    AuthorNinja Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I just got through with my morning workout, haha! I'm one of those people who can workout on an empty stomach but if I wait too long after waking up, I'll snack a little first. I always make sure that I drink water before my workout! Mine never last more than an hour, and once I'm done I'm good for coffee + breakfast :)

I love morning workouts!
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I always work out in the morning. Usually up at 4:30 - at the gym by 5:30. I have a couple of cups of coffee before I work out and bring water with me. Breakfast afterwards, shower and to work. Voila! Done for the day!
  • sunnysunny88
    sunnysunny88 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My trainer told me that you can do cardio with an empty stomach but if you are doing weights, it's recommended to eat something before. I wake up and 6 to go running some days and I would only drink water but if I'm feeling hungry usually I would eat a bit of nuts or cheese and I'll be fine :)
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I work out fasted in the morning and don't eat until mid afternoon. l have a glass of water and a caffeine pill when I wake up and it's kicked in by the time I get to the gym 15 minutes later.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I usually eat some nuts or fruit. Usually 5-20 minutes before exercising. I cant exercise on a empty stomach. If I'm thirsty I'll have water. Sometimes I'll have coffee before or a bigger meal, but that's usually if I'm exercising later in the morning like on a weekend.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    It's all personal preference. Some people prefer to eat beforehand, others don't. You'll have to see what you respond best to.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before working out. I might drink a diet soda before hand. If no soda, then I'm drinking water during. I workout in the mornings for 2 reasons: 1) get it over with and 2) I prefer to shower only once a day.
  • rubrink
    rubrink Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I just wake up and go usually. Never eat anything unless I'm doing a long run (in which case I'll drink a protein shake with carbs 30 minutes prior). I do take a preworkout on the days when I work out (other than running)
  • guacamole17
    guacamole17 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I work out with an empty stomach at 4:30am or so.

I actually drag my *kitten* out in the cold. It was like 15 degrees this am and felt like 5 with the windchill.

Same thing here, except I'm only out in the cold to get to the gym. Eating so early in the morning upsets my stomach. I jog/walk for an hour at 5AM to be at work at 7:15 or so. Having to use the bathroom during the middle of that is annoying, so I wait to drink water as well. Then I get my Americano and actually eat something several hours later, usually a breakfast sandwich or greek yogurt/fruit/cereal mix.
  • slinky_shaz
    slinky_shaz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    wow, thank you all for your replies.

i definitely prefer the idea of working out first thing. it's not so much fear of death, just curious if it was particularly unbeneficial to train on an empty stomach. when i workout in the evening, it's before i've cooked dinner but obviously i have eaten during the day.

i'll definitely give it a go tomorrow before everyone wakes up. i'll give it a go with water and see how it goes. i love the idea of doing that, showering and being ready for the day without having to worry about squeezing a workout in in the evening when i'd rather be doing something else.

thanks again, very helpful!