Which one do you pay the most attention to? Do you count calories, fat, carbs or sugars?

Options

Replies

• ColoradoChlo
    ColoradoChlo Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I just try to max my protein intake so that its about 20% of my diet for the day, or more. I eat whatever I'd like (within reason) since I'm bulking. when i start cutting, i'll be much more strict about my macros. for now, i just need to get food and protein in my body!
  • bluebell67
    bluebell67 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This is my second day on here and have found it very interesting to read what everyone has said. This is probably a silly question but when I look at my good diary the carb column is showing two figures one with a bracket around it and one without. What do each mean?
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I set a calorie level to help me achieve my goal, whether it is mass gain or fat loss. I then set my macros (protein, fat, carbs) that will optimise my progress/body.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I only track calories. Did that through the weight loss phase and still doing it now in the maintenance phase.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Calories first, protein second. The next thing I probably look at is sodium.
    Carbs, sugar, fats, etc kind of take care of themselves if I am sticking to my calorie goal and meeting my protein goal.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I do LCHF so carbs first, then calories (because if I follow my carb goal, my calories tend to be a bit under so I will eat an extra slice of cheese or some yogurt to bring my calories up high enough). If I'm being less strict with carbs, then calories first!
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    bluebell67 wrote: »
    This is my second day on here and have found it very interesting to read what everyone has said. This is probably a silly question but when I look at my good diary the carb column is showing two figures one with a bracket around it and one without. What do each mean?

HI there...was trying to help answer this question but maybe I'm not looking at the correct page or something. Are you maybe referring to your Totals (what you ate for the day), and your Daily Goal? I don't have brackets around anything, though...you said you're looking at your food diary page?

This is what I'm referring to:

cp8ysmfp92xi.jpg

To answer OP's question, calories are my main concern, though I also tend to look at the protein column occasionally. My protein total is always low, so I like to try to find ways to improve that number.
  • Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Calories first because like people said that's what's important for weight loss, but then I do try to focus on protein and fats and let carbs do what they will, I usually never have a problem getting enough carbs :#
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    Calories->Protein->Fat
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Priority for me:
    1) Calories
    2) Protein (make sure I'm getting enough)
    3) Fibre (same reason, plus I'm old!)
    4) Fats (make sure I'm in range)
    5) Sodium (make sure I'm not getting too much)
    6) Carbs/Sugar (meh, don't care.)

;)
  • HWeatherholt
    HWeatherholt Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I focus on calories, but will pay attention to the others. If I can make a choice with fewer carbs, or sugars I will.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Calories is what controls weight (or more exact, amount of fatty tissue on your body). If you eat too many (more than you burn), over time, you gain weight. If you eat less than you burn, over time, you lose weight.

A healthy diet means getting in sufficient amounts of all the nutrients you need every day, but not too much of anything. Eating a lot of different foods from all the food groups is an easy way to get in the right amounts.

A healthy lifestyle includes a healthy diet, sufficient knowledge, and a healthy mindset. Apart from trans fat, fat and sugar is the same in every food. Different foods contain different amounts and combinations of nutrients, but no foods are "poison" and to be completely avoided (unless you want to). Buzzwords and ideas without the proper context can create fear. "Processed" sounds scary (a little like "possessed"). But if you think about what it means - it can mean a lot of different things. When you cook, or chew, or digest, you "process" your food. What you really should be doing, is eat food you like, and have a healthy diet. Worrying too much about what you eat can paradoxically lead you to take poorer decisions, food-wise. One example is orthorexia, another is the "what the hell"-effect.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Protein-->Fat-->Calories-->Fiber
  • Jalexander33
    Jalexander33 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    1. Calories
    2. Carbs
    3. Sodium
    4. Sugar

Calories and Carbs are main focus. I have a Carb sensitivity so to many will increase weight or prevent weight lose. Which really sucks I miss having potatoes and peanut butter sammiches.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Calories, Protein/Carbs/Fat, sodium. I don't bother tracking sugar. If I'm at/under calorie goal and felt satiated all day, I find I'm usually pretty close to the suggested Carb/Fat/Protein ratio. Sodium, because I feel like crap for at least an extra day If I overdo that.
  • kgmqt
    kgmqt Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Net Carbs. I eat as little carbs as possible. From there I try to get 2X fat calories vs protein.
    While I track everything I eat, I eat how much I want. I stay under my calorie goal without really working at it, because I am not hungry.
  • willnevergiveup
    willnevergiveup Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I eat LCHF. For me, it's carbs, protein, fat and calories. Sugar is from vegetables or dairy (nothing processed) so I don't pay much attention to that one.
  • rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I focus on calories for weight loss. I do also try to keep an eye on protein and iron since I have a history of hypoglycemia and anemia and my doctor has recommended that I try to get more protein and iron.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    1. Calories
    2. Carbs
    3. Sodium
    4. Sugar

Calories and Carbs are main focus. I have a Carb sensitivity so to many will increase weight or prevent weight lose. Which really sucks I miss having potatoes and peanut butter sammiches.

But sugar is a carbohydrate? Also your carbohydrate is not going to increase or stall your weight, it is your overall calorie intake.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,998 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    I have a calorie maximum and minimums for fiber, fat and protein. I don't worry about carbs or sugars.... let them fall where they may.

This is pretty much what I do, except that it is so rare (maybe one day in a month) for me not to be over my fat minimum by a fair bit that in practice I don't really worry about it, or at least I don't have to make any kind of special effort to make sure I hit it. I also glance at my micronutrients (vitamins and minerals) at least a couple of times a week, and will take a supplement if it doesn't look like I'm getting enough.