Net calories from exercise question

Options
Stupid question - But can someone explain how the Net Calories from your exercise works? I went ahead and logged the rest of my meals and I plan to exercise tonight, just going to walk this evening. My goals are 1200cals but I have went over that and they are at 1585 for the day, but MFP shows that I will have burned 596cals total showing a net of 211 remaining calories. Does that mean Im actually not under my calorie intake and I can add a little more to my snacks or just leave it? What do you guys normally do?

Replies

• __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I usually plan to hit my MFP-recommended calories, but when I exercise, I can eat back half of the extra calories it gives me, if I need them. Many people, myself included, think MFP and most exercise machines calculate the calories burned too high, so by eating half, I'm adjusting it to a more realistic level.
  • writer4
    writer4 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have the same question. I didnt eat my calories burned last week and didnt lose a pound (and it was about 350 x4). I am really squeezing in the wxercise and working hard to eat healthy so I want to male the most of my time and do it right. I have lost weight without exercising in the past but I lnow exercising is healthier...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Stupid question - But can someone explain how the Net Calories from your exercise works? I went ahead and logged the rest of my meals and I plan to exercise tonight, just going to walk this evening. My goals are 1200cals but I have went over that and they are at 1585 for the day, but MFP shows that I will have burned 596cals total showing a net of 211 remaining calories. Does that mean Im actually not under my calorie intake and I can add a little more to my snacks or just leave it? What do you guys normally do?

Yes, you are under your calorie goal...personally, I'd just leave it as cushion for estimation error.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Let's say you eat 1200 calories and do 300 calories in (added) exercise. Your NET is 900 (1200- 300 = 900). 900 calories is not enough fuel for the vast majority of adult women.

However.....if you got you calorie burn from a machine or from MFP it's likely "generous." Many people eat back a portion of their exercise calories. So eat more like 1200 + (75% x 300) 225 = 1425 calories.

The reason for added fuel.....large calorie deficits help you lose faster, but the price is a larger % of existing lean muscle mass. Moderate paced weight loss helps you lower your overall body fat %.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    any burn i get from my HR monitor, i go to shape sense and deduct any background calories ( those cals that you would burn still if your lying on the sofa) then i put whats left in the log