Top 3 Workout Equipment(s)

Options
Since I rarely have time to go to a gym due to my work/school/mommy schedule, what machines would you all recommend to help with my weight loss. I am looking at transforming a spare bedroom into a home gym. I definitely want a treadmill and eliptical, but wondering if those are even the best equipment to go with. TIA!

Replies

• her4g63
    her4g63 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    In order
    1. Olympic Bar and weights
    2. Squat rack
    3. Bench

Best investment I made were these three. The elliptical helped me feel better with clothes on, the three above have helped me feel better naked.
    TMI, whatever. (:
    Good luck, OP!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Agree with @StealthHealth . Also recommend WOSS or TRX bands and adjustable dumbbells. Also don't discount bodyweight training which does not require any equipment. Check out You Are Your Own Gym and Convict Conditioning.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    If weight loss is your goal, then focus on your diet/intake first, then use exercise to supplement what is already a proper eating program.

That said, the best equipment is equipment that, A: you'll actually use, and B: will help you reach your goals.

But to your question specifically...
    IMO, there is too much similarity between a treadmill and an elliptical... too much redundancy. What is one doing for you that the other isn't? Not much. I'd suggest 1 piece of standard cardio equipment - a treadmill, bike, elliptical, stepper... whatever you like. I'd also suggest a rowing machine. Lastly, I'd suggest a TRX or similar suspension trainer. People with strength/physique goals would be better served with a true strength training setup, but based on your post, that doesn't seem to be your priority.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    1. Dumbbell handles and plates
    2. Standard bar plus a set of 25 lb plates
    3. Treadmill or elliptical or bike
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Running / walking shoes are far less expensive than a treadmill or elliptical and depending on how old your kids are they can join you for some of your walks / runs.

I do agree with the above that weights, a rack and bench would be a great investment too however, if I was going to buy one machine it would probably be a rower, I use mine more for x-training (my main activities are running & cycling with a little swimming thrown in for comic relief) and find that it's a great workout, especially on days when I'm stressed for time (doesn't burn as many calories as running does but it's a full body workout)
  • BwnEyedWifey
    BwnEyedWifey Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Running / walking shoes are far less expensive than a treadmill or elliptical and depending on how old your kids are they can join you for some of your walks / runs.

I do agree with the above that weights, a rack and bench would be a great investment too however, if I was going to buy one machine it would probably be a rower, I use mine more for x-training (my main activities are running & cycling with a little swimming thrown in for comic relief) and find that it's a great workout, especially on days when I'm stressed for time (doesn't burn as many calories as running does but it's a full body workout)

my daughter just turned 3. I have tried letting her ride her tri-cycle while I walked/jog, but it was more stressful lol, and quite slow. I do have a weight bench with a bar and a few weights (the bar is heavy enough IMO), just not sure what to really do with it. I guess I am more of a cardio type of girl. I may have to dust that bad boy off and give him a whirl :smiley:
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

my daughter just turned 3. I have tried letting her ride her tri-cycle while I walked/jog, but it was more stressful lol, and quite slow. I do have a weight bench with a bar and a few weights (the bar is heavy enough IMO), just not sure what to really do with it. I guess I am more of a cardio type of girl. I may have to dust that bad boy off and give him a whirl :smiley:

In light of the above info, I will revise my answer to:

2. Strong Curves by Bret Contreras

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options

Perhaps a book or similar on the basics of lifting and getting started with free weights would be a good "piece of equipment"?
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I think that, with the extra information this is spot on and I hear ya' with cardio and young children! it's difficult to impossible at that age. The most exercise I ever got with mine was carrying the bike or scooter under one arm and my daughter in the other as we walked home!

Note on cardio machines: given no disabilities or physical limitations the benefits from one piece of equipment to the next (the difference between rowing and treadmill for example) are small. It's nice to have the variety of several pieces of equipment but for pure cardiovascular training once bit of kit is probably as good as another so pick what fits your space, budget, and preferences.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    TRX
  • BwnEyedWifey
    BwnEyedWifey Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I think that, with the extra information this is spot on and I hear ya' with cardio and young children! it's difficult to impossible at that age. The most exercise I ever got with mine was carrying the bike or scooter under one arm and my daughter in the other as we walked home!

Note on cardio machines: given no disabilities or physical limitations the benefits from one piece of equipment to the next (the difference between rowing and treadmill for example) are small. It's nice to have the variety of several pieces of equipment but for pure cardiovascular training once bit of kit is probably as good as another so pick what fits your space, budget, and preferences.

Thank you.. and yes with a 3 year old it is tough, but not impossible, and I know this. Sometimes I have used her as an excuse, but I know it's just that... an excuse. I have had to carry her bike home several occassions, as well as push her along and over bumps on the side walks... it was indeed a workout, but not the kind I was invisioning. :)

I just need to get focused, and do what I can, when I can and know it will not be overnight in seeing results.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Since I rarely have time to go to a gym due to my work/school/mommy schedule, what machines would you all recommend to help with my weight loss. I am looking at transforming a spare bedroom into a home gym. I definitely want a treadmill and eliptical, but wondering if those are even the best equipment to go with. TIA!

There is no need to get 2 cardio machines...many would argue (myself included) there is really no need for one cardio machine, but I realize people like them and often times don't want to go outside.

My list of home equipment based on my preference for simplicity and versatility
    DVRT ultimate sandbag
    TRX
    Kettlebell
    jump rope
    pull up bar
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    ^I agree, no need to get a treadmill and an elliptical. If I was going to purchase a piece of equipment for cardio I would get a Concept2 Rower. MUCH better full body workout then you'll ever get from a treadmill or an elliptical.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    If the question was just what are the three best pieces of workout equipment, I'd say a bike, a power meter, and good bike shoes. But your situation is different.

I want to highly recommend a set of resistance bands. These are the ones I use but another set is just as good, I picked these because they were the least expensive. You can mimic a lot of weight lifting with them. They don't take up much space when you're not using them. Resistance training won't burn many calories and that means it won't help you lose a bunch of fat. But when you're losing weight, you'll inevitably lose some muscle with it, and the more you use your muscles, the less of them you'll lose. Which means you'll look and feel better at the end of your journey.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Cardio machine of your choice (elliptical, treadmill, rower, stationary bike) {Good ones get expensive, I found a gym membership to be cost effective}
    Adjustable dumbbells (PowerBlocks or BowFlex)
    Adjustable bench.
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I have an Octane elliptical type machine, treadmill, concept2 rower and stationary bike. I go through phases with which one I like the best, at the moment it's doing GCN spin workouts on the bike. I have tried to get into the rower but I barely it use these days because I just find it hard to get an effective workout. The octane elliptical provides the best all over workout for me. I'm a runner, but a bit burnt out on running these days so haven't used the treadmill more than once a week. I also have a child (one year old) so if I'm going outside it's with the little one in a stroller. With the massive amount of snow and ice right now, not an easy task.

All that being said, my absolute favourite piece of workout equipment are my kettlebells. I do about 2-3 kettlebell workout a week and they destroy me and give me the best results!