How accurate is MFP?

Options
TinaS88
TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
For calories burned that is. How would you compare the accuracy to the actual number burned?

And yes, I am aware I should get a HRM but I don't have the extra money for it now, so I am making due with what I got.

Replies

• maryd4love
    maryd4love Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    - I have read from others along with myself belive you should not eat back all the exercise calories you burn. Eat half or less. That should make up the difference. I have lost 16lbs in 2 months.
  • casirdms
    casirdms Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    The only time I compared what MFP and my HRM said it was like a 40 calorie difference with MFP saying I burned higher than what I did.
  • nurse_carolyn
    Options
    I find it pretty accurate. I use a HRM and I also compare with the number that either the treadmill or eliptical say.
  • webdiva1
    webdiva1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    For me, MFP is pretty high. I invested in an HRM a couple months ago and my calories burned for walking (my primary exercise) was about 3X higher on MFP than on the HRM.

BUT -- I have loads more weight to lose than you do. As I've lost more pounds, the numbers are getting a bit closer. So, given the fact that you don't have much to lose, it may be pretty close.

Do you have a friend who has one? Maybe you could talk them into letting you test drive theirs. :)