I don't know where to begin at the gym

Options
nella41
nella41 Posts: 7 Member
Hi everyone,

This year is the year i finally want to lose the extra weight I am carrying.

I currently weigh 11 stone and I want to lose 1 and a half stone by summer.

I have a gym membership but keep on putting off going because I don't know what I should be doing when i go. I end up going on the treadmill for 15 minutes, walking fast on an uphill incline, getting out of breath then going home because i feel unfit and dont know what else to do.

i really want this routine to change, but could anyone give me any advice on what sort of workout etc to do at the gym? Just for getting started while I am still in this un-confident unfit stage.

Thanks for any help! :)

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for a strength training program?

My favorite beginner program is Stronglifts 5X5. Only 5 lifts to learn, only three days a week, about 45 minutes per session. You can check it out at stronglifts.com. You can also download the app which will track your workout, weights and progress. I found it much easier to walk into the weight room when I already knew what I was going to be doing.

I <3 Stronglifts! ;)
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Ben_there_done_that Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Incline treadmill is a pretty good workout, especially if it's winding you. If that's what you like to do, I'd suggest gradually increasing the duration. Play around with the intervals, so you can mix in some jogging or something. The gym is your oyster!
  • rks581
    rks581 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Uphill inclines are hard -- they're the equivalent of walking into the wind and some runners use them to compensate for the wind's effect when you run outside. Fifteen minutes isn't bad, really. If you can do ten minutes or so of anything, that's a good start before strength training.

Does the gym offer a personal trainer, free or otherwise? If you don't know what to do, having someone show you is really the best way to go. Almost all gyms will have a trainer who can set you up with a basic workout you can follow for several months. By then you should have a good idea of what to do.

If you don't want to go that route (although I think it is best) then at least the machines will have instructions on them, and major manufacturers have videos online. My gym has Cybex equipment, their videos are here http://www.cybexintl.com/videogallery/ and they also have an app, Cybex Strength, that shows you how to use the machines. Even if you don't have Cybex equipment those videos might be useful.

Start with some of the easier machines: arm curl, chest press, leg press and one or two others that look interesting to you. Start with a low weight and work up to a weight you're comfortable lifting 15 times (15 reps). Then do 3 sets of 15 reps on each machine. That should be a good start.

Don't be intimidated. Everyone starts somewhere, and, to be honest with you, everyone at the gym is focused on their own workouts and either won't notice a newcomer or will want to welcome you. Best wishes to you.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    1. get a food scale and weigh all your solid food
    2. log everything you eat into MFP diary
    3. make sure you use correct MFP database entries.
    4. make sure that you get adquate protein to maintain existing muscle mass.
    5. get adquate hydration and nutrtion.
    6. get on a structured lifting program like strong lifts, all pro beginner routine, etc and follow it for three to four months.
    7. re-assess when you get to goal weight.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    try talking to a personal trainer and let him or her know what you goals are. They can help you put a plan together. I use the elliptical, treadmill and the weight machines. I also take zumba, spin, kickboxing and pound classes.
  • dfc4
    dfc4 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hi, start off with Bike for 10 - 15 minutes, low intensity but fast enough so you are getting out of breath toward the end, then go onto the treadmill for 15 minutes, incline is ok but you are goung a bit too fast if you are whacked by the end of 15 minutes.
    You need to slow down your training so you get al least half an hour cardio done.
    Best way is to get a PT to help you
  • LazyDragonAR
    LazyDragonAR Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree, stronglifts is a good way to get going, they have a great app that makes it very simple to follow the plan and the easy progression (starting with just the bar) helps prepare your body without crippling muscle soreness.

However! I would maybe get a trainer for one session to confirm your form is correct the handful of exercises so that you don't develop bad lifting habits that could hurt when you up the weight in a couple months.

It's smart to mix weight training with your weight loss so that your body doesn't try to eat up your existing muscles for calories instead of fat. As a beginner you will still get to enjoy building strength but you might not build muscles until you start eating enough to maintain your goal weight (or of course gain weight).
  • HollyMarie0595
    HollyMarie0595 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with a personal trainer. When I first started going to the gym the only machine I knew how to use properly was the treadmill. A personal trainer will show you how to use each machine properly and how much weight to use for each one. And they will show you other exercises you can do using your own body weight. It may cost more for a personal trainer but I believe it's well worth it. Now when I go I'm confident in what I'm doing and I am completely in the zone. Good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Start by focusing on your diet and moving a bit more...walking is a good way to do that...walk at a pace that you can sustain for at least 30 minutes and go up from there...just get your body used to actually moving more.