2»

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,172 Member
    Options

We don't get that amount of snow around here, but good to know.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    There's also this from the City of Madison. I thought it was interesting and haven't seen this on any of the snowshoeing pages I've visited:

- Our trail systems are designed to facilitate controlled public access while protecting environmentally sensitive areas, and providing quiet refuges for wildlife away from people. Disruption of wildlife by human activity during the winter puts additional stress on them during a challenging time for their survival.

- Snowshoeing, hiking, and skiing off trail destroys snow tunnels used by native small rodents (deer mice, shrews) by the trampling effect. These small mammals are an important part of the wetland and grassland ecology in our conservation parks. Destruction of these tunnel networks make the small mammals more vulnerable to predation.
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    The last time I remember snowshoeing was in junior high during gym class in the winter time. It ended up being fun but I recall it was a bit of a pain in the *kitten* to get going

Lol! Yes... pain in the *kitten* for sure.. and after as well until your body gets used to the movement!
  • kat00_ca
    kat00_ca Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I snowshoe every chance I get when we have enough snow. It's a real heart-pumping exercise when breaking new trails and boy, does your butt feel it the next day! lol.
    It's also a form of exercise where you can adjust your own pace for whatever your goal is.
  • RWayne48
    RWayne48 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I love to snowshoe, but haven't been in ages...which is sad considering I live in Colorado. Has anyone ever purchased the Costco snowshoes? I'd love to do this more regularly, but don't own any equipment

I got mine last year and love them! Although I don't spend much time on roads, I've been really good about rinsing them off since we have a lot of garbage that gets put on the roads etc and it tends to be corrosive to other equipment
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    DH and I are planning a trip to RMNP/Estes Park, Colorado in early March and we fully intend on snowshoeing while we are there! So excited!
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I love to snowshoe, but I haven't been since I got a fat bike. Why walk when you can ride, I guess.

Also, despite being in Colorado, there is rarely enough snow locally to do any snow sport.
  • Gots2Bfitter
    Gots2Bfitter Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Love snowshoeing and Ohio has the weather to do it!
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

Good of you to post. We usually have a couple of deaths a year at ski resorts because of tree wells. Avalanche season is upon us as well and we've already had a few fatalities. Know what's going on out there!
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    When it's flat, I prefer Nordic skiing :D .
    In the mountains, I snowshoe. Luckily, I have both around me.