Diabetic Diet

Options
Hi, I am trying to work out how the put the percentage of nutrients into my app for a Blood Sugar diet. If it has to add up to 100% I am not sure of the amount ( %) of protein to fat I should choose. I am allowed all full fat, butter, olive oil, milk etc and lots of protein but am not sure of the % of each to enter. I know carbs and sugar should be kept very low.
Has anyone on this type of restricted diet any ideas of the amount each of these that should be used as a guide please.
I am not counting calories at the moment but trying to be sensible around 900 - 1200 cals, I think that once I have got things stabilised then I may look at cals in the future.
Any advice will be gratefully received.

Replies

• Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Are you diabetic?

I have diabetes and I eat 35%C/45%F/20%P. With these percentages I am able to keep my blood sugar stable.

You need more than 900 calories.

I love eating this way. I still eat potatoes, pasta, rice, bread, etc too.

Last night I enjoyed mashing about 6 ounces of russet potatoes with about 50 grams of full-fat sour cream. I also ate roasted pork tenderloin and green beans. For lunch I had a salad with romaine, tomatoes, cucumbers, cabbage, eggs, and full fat mozzarella. Yum!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am trying to work out how the put the percentage of nutrients into my app for a Blood Sugar diet. If it has to add up to 100% I am not sure of the amount ( %) of protein to fat I should choose. I am allowed all full fat, butter, olive oil, milk etc and lots of protein but am not sure of the % of each to enter. I know carbs and sugar should be kept very low.
    Has anyone on this type of restricted diet any ideas of the amount each of these that should be used as a guide please.
    I am not counting calories at the moment but trying to be sensible around 900 - 1200 cals, I think that once I have got things stabilised then I may look at cals in the future.
    Any advice will be gratefully received.

Is this the "8 Week Blood Sugar Diet" it's not necessarily a diabetic diet. It's another money making book for Michael Mosley. His 5:2 book is filled with lots of anecdotal "truths."

900-1200 calories is NOT sensible. 1200 is a default minimum for women. If you are elderly or very petite 1200 (before exercise) is a good number, otherwise you can eat more & still lose weight.
  • sylviawilmot100
    sylviawilmot100 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Many thanks for the answers.
    I am still waiting for the blood test results to see whether I am Pre Diabetes or full, but my doctor wants me on the blood sugar diet as I am showing all the signs of Diabetes, plus I seriously need to loose weight. She has told me to ignore calories at the moment and concentrate on cutting out carbs and sugar, but to be sensible with things like cheese that can cause weight gain.
    I am still at the learning stage, but love lentils and beans and all protein so I am happy with the food but didn't know what to put in the settings for MFP.
    (I have the 5:2 book but mainly for the recipes, I am not doing the 8 week diet) since then I have found a much better recipe book to follow as a guide. I should have all the results by the end of the week so should know more then and how to continue.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Look into low carb, high fat. I'm prediabetic and try to minimize my carbs. Your doc should have given you guidelines but I know when I was pregnant (7 years ago and a gestational diabetic), I was alotted 25 carbs for breakfast, 30 for lunch, and 40 for dinner. It was reasonable considering the amount of carbs I WAS intaking (200+) With the exception of yesterday (pizza for dinner...) and the day before (we've been snowed in. Helloooooo bottle of Sangria), I go "lowe(er)" carb. Feel free to take a look at my diary for ideas.

ETA: you need a minimum of 1200 calories. Don't go lower.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I follow Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. He is a T1D, an MD, basically invented home testing, and has a plan great for any diabetic wanting to reduce insulin and blood glucose levels.

Try aTDEE calculator to determine your macros and caloric intake. You probably want higher than what you've indicated. I was at 1500kcal and I lost 2-3 lbs per week (on a low carb diet) with only 40 lbs to lose.

This is a calculator with a lower carb slant (often beneficial to diabetics). http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

As to your macros, all carbs will raise your blood glucose and trigger an insulin response. Lower GI carbs (non starchy, non root veggies mainly) have a fair amount of fibre to slow it, and less sugars than fruits. Anything with flour and starches turns to sugar (glucose) in the blood very quickly and should be limited or avoided entirely.

Protein will also raise insulin and lead to higher blood glucose. Unless you are exercising hard, and/or lifting heavy weights, you won't need a lot of protein. A woman eating 60+ g of protein (about 240 kcal) will have her protein needs covered with some extra to spare. A diabetic may not want to go beyond a moderate protein diet (usually 15-25% of total calories) in order to avoid raised insulin and glucose levels.

For carbs, often the less the better. Many find if they lower carbs enough, their blood glucose normalizes even before they lose any weight. There is no minimum need for carbs, or sugar, so you can go as low as you wish. Many go ketogenic with lots of success, which is about 5% or around 20-30g of carbs per day, Few diabetics can control BG with a high carb diet. Some can do it with a moderate carb diet (above 150g) up to about 30-40% of their calories. Most can lower, and mostly control BG to normal levels (not just normal diabetic levels) with a low carb diet.

As for fat? Use it to fill in your calories. Fat has almos zero effect on BG, unless you are over eating by a large amount. Somewhere between 40-85% of all calories is a good spot for fat for diabetics. I go with 70-75%, but I eat very low carb.

Good luck.
  • sylviawilmot100
    sylviawilmot100 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Many thanks for advice, hopefully when I see the doc at the end of the week she will know the results and will give me a better idea of what is expected and what I can eat. For the moment she has just suggested that I read the 5:2 book to understand what I can and cannot eat, but should have a better idea by this time next week on amounts. You are all so helpful and really I appreciate the comments - whatever the results I still need to lose weight
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I will say that if you are used to eating a large amount of carbs and cut them cold turkey, you're going to have about a week or so of adjustment. I went from 200+ to 50+/- and got REALLY dizzy if I spaced my meals too far. Keep a quest bar or something for a little pick-me-up if you start feeling gross and can't get to your next meal asap.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, you may get differing opinions on what your macros should be, but 900 cals seems unnecessarily low.

Your profile says you are 74, so if you are short and haven't been exercising, you might be one of the minority who can go a bit under 1200, but even so 900 sounds low.

I don't have any expertise in diabetes, so I'll just wish you the best of luck in reaching your goals!