WHY are some people jerks on mfp? (philosophically...)

Options

Replies

• Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    Maybe people just have different types of humor. One man's harsh and mean is another's snarky and sarcastic. That's my take.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I only go full *kitten* when someone posts something that is absolutely false and ignorant on a board where others might use the wrong advice.
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Wow! That is a bit ridiculous, don't ya think? Everyone has a tendency to be a jerk sometimes.

For example:

You calling out people you don't know for being jerks because they responded to your question.

Or you creating a post that is obviously going to create drama.

I'm sure you aren't this jerk-y all the time so I forgive you.

Wait...I'm not calling anyone out? I have been browsing forums this morning and the question arose in my head.

Also I'm not *trying* to create drama...I am genuinely wondering. Promise.

So how exactly weren't you calling out PapaverSomniferum with this:

because they're F^cking HUNGRY

Standard MFP Jerk Response: If you're so hungry, you obviously need more protein in your diet. It's the ONLY way to lose weight.

I was trying to be sarcastic....
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    Because it's the internet. Because you don't have to see these people or deal with the aftermath of being a jerk. You can write whatever thought pops into your head and x out the screen if you so choose and not worry one bit about what others think. Because sometimes it's fun to ruffle feathers without dealing with the consequences. But you knew that, I think, or else you wouldn't have made this post which is bound to get people going.
  • Turtlehurdle
    Options
    Lack of food.
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options

Standard MFP Jerk Response: If you're so hungry, you obviously need more protein in your diet. It's the ONLY way to lose weight.

This is an example. When some one says cause we are f^cking hungry, I find that funny.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    For instance,

Someone posts a thread asking if they overreacted to something. Majority of people reply saying “yes, you overreacted big time”. Original poster gets all defensive and freaks out and starts telling people they are mean and don’t understand his/her situation.

Or, more fitness related, an obese person posts a photo asking if people think they need to lose some weight. Fitness minded people here on a fitness board reply that yes, they do need to lose some weight. Original poster gets their feelings hurt and says everyone is mean and hating on them because of their weight.

Don’t ask questions in a public forum if you don’t want honest answers from a variety of opinions.

^^ This....this is exactly the truth.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Because it's the internet. Because you don't have to see these people or deal with the aftermath of being a jerk. You can write whatever thought pops into your head and x out the screen if you so choose and not worry one bit about what others think. Because sometimes it's fun to ruffle feathers without dealing with the consequences. But you knew that, I think, or else you wouldn't have made this post which is bound to get people going.

This is why we're friends..kindred spirits if you will...I love you, dollface! Let's do lunch!
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    WHY are some people lazy complainers on mfp? (philosophically...)

I'm actually wondering. I'm not questioning their existence, or crying about some person who complained that I was being mean because I was trying to get her up off her couch ...I'm just wondering...Why do ya'll think there are so many?

Is there some kind of gene that we all have that makes people on MFP more likely to be overly passive whiners?....Are they all scared to take control because they use excuses obsessively? Are the ones of us who *don't* use excuses obsessively but use MFP as a general tool but then get a really long badly structured sentence that lost me?

I'M WONDERING! Gimme your theories!

If you took a massive slice of humanity - millions on this site right? And only look for the ones that are behaving a certain way - and you see 75 of them?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

75/1,000,000

yeah - there are way too many mean people on this site.

:drinker:
  • kater8er
    Options

I'm actually wondering. I'm not questioning their existence, or crying about some person who complained that I was being mean because I was trying to get her up off her couch ...I'm just wondering...Why do ya'll think there are so many?

Is there some kind of gene that we all have that makes people on MFP more likely to be overly passive whiners?....Are they all scared to take control because they use excuses obsessively? Are the ones of us who *don't* use excuses obsessively but use MFP as a general tool but then get a really long badly structured sentence that lost me?

If you took a massive slice of humanity - millions on this site right? And only look for the ones that are behaving a certain way - and you see 75 of them?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

75/1,000,000

I can't tell if you're sarcastic or not with your last statement--whether you agree with me or not. If you do agree, ha ha. And sorry about my long sentence....If you don't, I honestly think its more than 75. But okay :)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

75/1,000,000

I :heart: you!

Wait... are you being a jerk? Expressing your opinion in a humorous way makes you a jerk right? (philosophically)

I'm just wondering.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It's a cross section of the population. There's no reason why there shouldn't be jerks here.
  • BigCed77024
    BigCed77024 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Actually i was a jerk BEFORE I came on MFP..but seeing how people treat one another on here..i realized i wasnt really a jerk but kinda "jerkish"..lol

Some good advice: Tell them to f@#$ off and mind their own f###ing business Mother f###ers! lmao
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I could ask the same question about weak people who can't take the honest truth, never mind a little criticism.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    i like beef jerky.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

75/1,000,000

I can't tell if you're sarcastic or not with your last statement--whether you agree with me or not. If you do agree, ha ha. And sorry about my long sentence....If you don't, I honestly think its more than 75. But okay :)
    Oh hun. Just quit the internet. It's too hard for you.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Wow! That is a bit ridiculous, don't ya think? Everyone has a tendency to be a jerk sometimes.

For example:

You calling out people you don't know for being jerks because they responded to your question.

Or you creating a post that is obviously going to create drama.

I'm sure you aren't this jerk-y all the time so I forgive you.

Wait...I'm not calling anyone out? I have been browsing forums this morning and the question arose in my head.

Also I'm not *trying* to create drama...I am genuinely wondering. Promise.

So how exactly weren't you calling out PapaverSomniferum with this:

I was trying to be sarcastic....

And so was she... don't get what the problem is here.

The point is that we each can be perceived as a jerk at any time. That doesn't mean its fair or polite to call anyone names for any reason.
  • kater8er
    Options
    I wasn't trying to get people riled up, honestly. I have been reading the forums this morning (and other mornings) and also seen other numerous threads about people complaining about "bullies" or "jerks" or whatever you want to call them....I'm wondering why people think they're so *common* on MFP.