WHY are some people jerks on mfp? (philosophically...)

Options
kater8er
kater8er Posts: 364 Member
I'm actually wondering. I'm not questioning their existence, or crying about some jerk who bullied me...I'm just wondering...Why do ya'll think there are so many?

Is there some kind of gene that we all have that makes people on MFP more likely to be overly assertive DBs?....Are we all control freaks because we count calories obsessively? Are the ones of us who *don't* count calories obsessively but use MFP as a general tool but then get riled up to be lumped into the same category as the rest of us just defensive naturally?

I'M WONDERING! Gimme your theories!

Replies

• PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    They're cranky.

because they're unhappy with their bodies

because they're sore from working out

because they're F^cking HUNGRY
  • kater8er
    Options

Standard MFP Jerk Response: If you're so hungry, you obviously need more protein in your diet. It's the ONLY way to lose weight.
  • LadyIvysMom
    LadyIvysMom Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone on here is a jerk. I just think some people are oversensitive and probably shouldn't ask questions if they don't want opinions or harsh realities.
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone on here is a jerk. I just think some people are oversensitive and probably shouldn't ask questions if they don't want opinions or harsh realities.

this
  • kater8er
    Options

this

Interesting thought....More detail perhaps? What do you mean by "harsh realities"?
  • Fatal1ty2k5
    Fatal1ty2k5 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    welcome-to-the-internet-ill-be-your-guide-13996.jpg
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    Humans are just like that.
  • kater8er
    Options
    love it.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Wow! That is a bit ridiculous, don't ya think? Everyone has a tendency to be a jerk sometimes.

For example:

You calling out people you don't know for being jerks because they responded to your question.

Or you creating a post that is obviously going to create drama.

I'm sure you aren't this jerk-y all the time so I forgive you.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    *girds self
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    *girds self
    Let the snarky flow from you. Let it be free.
  • kater8er
    Options
    Wow! That is a bit ridiculous, don't ya think? Everyone has a tendency to be a jerk sometimes.

For example:

You calling out people you don't know for being jerks because they responded to your question.

Wait...I'm not calling anyone out? I have been browsing forums this morning and the question arose in my head.

Also I'm not *trying* to create drama...I am genuinely wondering. Promise.
  • LadyIvysMom
    LadyIvysMom Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    For instance,

Someone posts a thread asking if they overreacted to something. Majority of people reply saying “yes, you overreacted big time”. Original poster gets all defensive and freaks out and starts telling people they are mean and don’t understand his/her situation.

Or, more fitness related, an obese person posts a photo asking if people think they need to lose some weight. Fitness minded people here on a fitness board reply that yes, they do need to lose some weight. Original poster gets their feelings hurt and says everyone is mean and hating on them because of their weight.

Don’t ask questions in a public forum if you don’t want honest answers from a variety of opinions.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

For example:

Wait...I'm not calling anyone out? I have been browsing forums this morning and the question arose in my head.

If I had a nickel for every "genuinely curious" oompa loompa.....
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

For example:

So how exactly weren't you calling out PapaverSomniferum with this:

Standard MFP Jerk Response: If you're so hungry, you obviously need more protein in your diet. It's the ONLY way to lose weight.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    There are jerks everywhere. On MFP and off MFP. If you spend a lot of time on the forums, you can find a lot of posts by them, because the jerkiest like to hear themselves talk. You will also notice that in real life as well.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Because there's totally no jerks off the internet. For surez.
  • kater8er
    Options
    For instance,

Someone posts a thread asking if they overreacted to something. Majority of people reply saying “yes, you overreacted big time”. Original poster gets all defensive and freaks out and starts telling people they are mean and don’t understand his/her situation.

Or, more fitness related, an obese person posts a photo asking if people think they need to lose some weight. Fitness minded people here on a fitness board reply that yes, they do need to lose some weight. Original poster gets their feelings hurt and says everyone is mean and hating on them because of their weight.

Don’t ask questions in a public forum if you don’t want honest answers from a variety of opinions.

Those examples, I agree, people overreacted.

Question though--do you think the way people say certain *realities* can be more or less jerk-ish?

Also, do you think most *jerk* examples on MFP are like this? I'm truly wondering! :)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    WHY are some people lazy complainers on mfp? (philosophically...)

I'm actually wondering. I'm not questioning their existence, or crying about some person who complained that I was being mean because I was trying to get her up off her couch ...I'm just wondering...Why do ya'll think there are so many?

Is there some kind of gene that we all have that makes people on MFP more likely to be overly passive whiners?....Are they all scared to take control because they use excuses obsessively? Are the ones of us who *don't* use excuses obsessively but use MFP as a general tool but then get a really long badly structured sentence that lost me?

I'M WONDERING! Gimme your theories!

If you took a massive slice of humanity - millions on this site right? And only look for the ones that are behaving a certain way - and you see 75 of them?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

75/1,000,000

yeah - there are way too many mean people on this site.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

For example:

So how exactly weren't you calling out PapaverSomniferum with this:

No, she wasn't. She was saying what she believes an "MFP jerk" would say to "f'ing hungry" statement.