WHY are some people jerks on mfp? (philosophically...)

Options

Replies

• sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I DO agree that they are some jerks on here. Many who come off as if they know the only way, their way. This is a support group, in my opinion. If someone asks a question - offer your opinion, but there is NO NEED to put anyone down, or talk to them like they are ridiculous or ignorant. Be respectful. This journey is going to be different for EVERYONE! No one idea is going to work for each and everyone of us. Getting real tired of seeing repetitive names being JERKS and acting like they know it all!

Sorry for the rant - but have had quite a few lately tainting my opinion of this site.
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options

I'm just going to walk away at this point...

Apparently, you just want to gloss over my views and just wag your finger at all the "jerks" on MFP rather than having a real discussion on your topic.

I do want to have a real discussion! I misunderstand, though, how I was calling her out.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    can someone say microcosm? :laugh:
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    The world would be so super boring if we all reacted the same way to things. I'm pretty sure we'd all be dead, too, since everyone thought the same and there was never any innovation.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Wow! That is a bit ridiculous, don't ya think? Everyone has a tendency to be a jerk sometimes.

For example:

You calling out people you don't know for being jerks because they responded to your question.

Or you creating a post that is obviously going to create drama.

I'm sure you aren't this jerk-y all the time so I forgive you.

Wait...I'm not calling anyone out? I have been browsing forums this morning and the question arose in my head.

Also I'm not *trying* to create drama...I am genuinely wondering. Promise.

So how exactly weren't you calling out PapaverSomniferum with this:

because they're F^cking HUNGRY

Standard MFP Jerk Response: If you're so hungry, you obviously need more protein in your diet. It's the ONLY way to lose weight.

I was trying to be sarcastic....

And so was she... don't get what the problem is here.

The point is that we each can be perceived as a jerk at any time. That doesn't mean its fair or polite to call anyone names for any reason.

You're just looking for a fight. The two of them were being snarky to each other and you're trying to start something.

No... I was actually defending my friend, the jerk, because I personally don't find her to be a jerk. But I'm done with this thread. I'm just talking in circles to someone who has no real interest in my opinion in the first place.
  • kater8er
    Options
    I DO agree that they are some jerks on here. Many who come off as if they know the only way, their way. This is a support group, in my opinion. If someone asks a question - offer your opinion, but there is NO NEED to put anyone down, or talk to them like they are ridiculous or ignorant. Be respectful. This journey is going to be different for EVERYONE! No one idea is going to work for each and everyone of us. Getting real tired of seeing repetitive names being JERKS and acting like they know it all!

Sorry for the rant - but have had quite a few lately tainting my opinion of this site.

I agree with what you're saying---a lot of people need a definite reality check, but maybe in a nicer way? Can you give nice reality checks?
  • kater8er
    Options

No... I was actually defending my friend, the jerk, because I personally don't find her to be a jerk. But I'm done with this thread. I'm just talking in circles to someone who has no real interest in my opinion in the first place.

I do want your opinion! Why do you think there are jerks on MFP?
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    God bless it.

People, if you're going to troll, pick a new topic. This one was played out 5 years ago...

Take a cue from the cray cray whining about her sister handing out her phone number. That was some pro trolling.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Wow! That is a bit ridiculous, don't ya think? Everyone has a tendency to be a jerk sometimes.

For example:

You calling out people you don't know for being jerks because they responded to your question.

Or you creating a post that is obviously going to create drama.

I'm sure you aren't this jerk-y all the time so I forgive you.

Wait...I'm not calling anyone out? I have been browsing forums this morning and the question arose in my head.

Also I'm not *trying* to create drama...I am genuinely wondering. Promise.

So how exactly weren't you calling out PapaverSomniferum with this:

because they're F^cking HUNGRY

Standard MFP Jerk Response: If you're so hungry, you obviously need more protein in your diet. It's the ONLY way to lose weight.

I was trying to be sarcastic....

And so was she... don't get what the problem is here.

The point is that we each can be perceived as a jerk at any time. That doesn't mean its fair or polite to call anyone names for any reason.

You're just looking for a fight. The two of them were being snarky to each other and you're trying to start something.

You weren't defending anyone. Neither was being a jerk--only you.
  • surlydave
    surlydave Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Usually I'm a jerk because I need to get laid.

Just curious but how many friend requests have you gotten since posting this?
  • kater8er
    Options
    Anonymity and hiding behind a computer screen makes it easier for people to randomly spout information or feelings without thinking. Critical feedback and honesty are different than what I see on the boards a lot ... there seems to be a lack of original thought and critical thinking.

However, without actual research, I wonder if it's just a loud minority while the respectful majority stay out of the bickering more often.

But anyway ... hiding behind the curtain ("profile or not") is a lot easier to let loose on people than sitting across from someone at a coffee house. Once you are looking at someone in the eye, you realize one important factor ... they are a human being just like you.

We all have a story ...

That's true--the whole "anonymity" thing seems to be a factor, for sure....
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    More money is spent on health and beauty than anything else. People are emotionally invested in it. As a result, each person is likely to jealously guard their biases.
  • sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Usually I'm a jerk because I need to get laid.

Just curious but how many friend requests have you gotten since posting this?

:laugh:
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    This is a support group, in my opinion.

I disagree. This is a "help me lose weight/get healthy/get stronger" (depending on your goals) site. If you're doing something wrong I'm going to call you out on it based on what I believe, and I'm going to explain why/support my advice. I'm not going to pat you on the back and say, "that's ok... at least you're trying."

Am I trying to be an *kitten* about it? No, but by the same token, some people don't want to hear anything that doesn't agree with what they think or what they are doing, and thus, to them, I end up being an *kitten*.
  • stephanieb72
    stephanieb72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    @kater8er.... just block them. They are really easy to spot.... they show up in every thread just to hear themselves talk. They know everything about everything. They like to point out typos and errors in sentence structure. They are very high and mighty sitting in front of their computer trying to make themselves feel better. Several of them popped up here already. Just block em :)
    I am all for a debate and I am open to what other people say. I wouldn't ask a question I don't want the answer to. That being said I also do not need to see the same people attack everybody that says something they find stupid, whiny, or wrong.
    Too bad I won't see their responses since I will be blocking them.
  • kater8er
    Options
    This is a support group, in my opinion.

I disagree. This is a "help me lose weight/get healthy/get stronger" (depending on your goals) site. If you're doing something wrong I'm going to call you out on it based on what I believe, and I'm going to explain why/support my advice. I'm not going to pat you on the back and say, "that's ok... at least you're trying."

Am I trying to be an *kitten* about it? No, but by the same token, some people don't want to hear anything that doesn't agree with what they think or what they are doing, and thus, to them, I end up being an *kitten*.

I don't think you have to say "that's okay, at least you're trying..." but maybe say: "Hey I noticed you're over on calories every single day...That could have an effect on your weight loss! I know it's really hard but you can do this!" That way it's kind of a support group AND a "help me lose weight/get healthy/get stronger" site?
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    It's a cross section of the population. There's no reason why there shouldn't be jerks here.

This.

And perhaps more importantly, any individual post is just a snapshot, a teensy little fragment of a person's full range of response. For instance, I know I can be an utter *kitten* on here - particularly when I get revved up about something. But a lot of the time, I'm pretty nice, I'm supportive and thoughtful and kind. If you only judge people based on the odd twattish response, it's a bit like judging the person who has a brief moment of exasperation at the driver in front of them, or who gets annoyed in the queue in the supermarket. You're seeing a tiny moment of response in their life, you're not seeing *them*. they're *being a jerk* right at that moment in time.
  • LadyIvysMom
    LadyIvysMom Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I belong to a lot of animal groups. Wanna see mean posts? Go look at a debate on dog food! I left one group due to so many people saying horrible things about rescue groups using pedigree. It's not a great food and I don't use it but I probably would if had 20 dogs to feed. Then they get into all the details and most don't understand how to read the ingredients anyway.

This.

I believe it. I belong to a lot of ferret rescue groups and if you think dog people go batpoop insane over food, you should see ferret people. It's sheer madness. Earlier today I got called every nasty name in the book because I bought a cheapo brand of food for my foster ferrets. I bought it as a last resort because they straight up refuse to eat anything else. Honestly, the way people reacted, you would have thought I posted that I skinned them alive and turned them into a hat instead of that I just fed them a lesser than ideal foodstuff.

The point is, people can be nasty over anything they have a strong opinion over.
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    A lot of people fall into the group think mentality and try to be the cool kid. I've noticed that a lot of members love to gang up on some people and it's really pathetic. Some people graduate high school, but stay there in spirit.

It's the same in every forum though. There are just some people who have nothing better in life than to prove to their virtual buddies that they are smart and funny. It's really a sad pathetic life when you think about it.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Oh and OP - seriously, you can't do wide eyed 'I'm not creating a drama' responses here. You've been here since May 2011. Not a day has gone by since you joined MFP that someone doesn't start this *identical* thread. Your bambie act ain't gonna play.