WHY are some people jerks on mfp? (philosophically...)

Options

Replies

• kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Some people graduate high school, but stay there in spirit.

ooooo burn burn burn! hahaha I laughed reading this. Thanks :)
  • kater8er
    Options
    Oh and OP - seriously, you can't do wide eyed 'I'm not creating a drama' responses here. You've been here since May 2011. Not a day has gone by since you joined MFP that someone doesn't start this *identical* thread. Your bambie act ain't gonna play.

I'm not bambi....I am honestly wondering WHY people think there are jerks on here! Some people have responded to that question...

Yes, I know that drama is *possible*, but I did not start this thread to create drama. Promise.
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Usually I'm a jerk because I need to get laid.

That being said, I am really never ever a jerk. :)

well la dee freaking DA!!! :mad:
  • kater8er
    Options

The point is, people can be nasty over anything they have a strong opinion over.

I guess that's true...I went to school at a really opinionated place--and political things definitely got nasty. Also, it's really cool that you have ferrets!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    A lot of people are jerks because people get tired of the same topics over and over.

There is a **** ton of OMG I GAINED 2 POUNDS!!! WTF!!! HELP ME!!! then when people suggest why and try to help OP, OP goes NO! That is clearly not the case and you don't understand.. I'm doomed to be fat.. wah wah wah.

or
    I'm only eating 400 calories a day and I'm not losing... why do you think that is? Again, people come in, explain why and try to help and OP goes but it worked before! Why isn't it working now?! and if I eat more, then I'll gain.. You guys just don't understand!

and the list goes on and on.

Too many people have been told they are special snowflakes for far to long.. and then when reality comes in, they freak and can't handle it... and thus complain about how people are bullies
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I was a jerk today - am I a jerk everyday? Probably not. However, sometimes, there are these little life moments which make you a bit of a jerk in someone elses opinion.

There are jerks everywhere! Especially on the internet! Just like there are awesome people everywhere. Especially on MFP :) You just have to change who you're looking for.

Oh, and this thread now made me crave beef jerky. Thanks. Thanks a lot! /nojerk :flowerforyou:
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't notice that many jerks. No more than on any other forum. I think most people on MFP are more sensitive about the things that people say because it's all about weight and health on here, sensitive topics. It is easier to get offended when people disagree with your lifestyle choices than your decorative tastes or whatever other forums you visit. The parenting forums that I've seen are a lot uglier than these, because people are even more sensitive about the way they raise their children.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    A lot of people are jerks because people get tired of the same topics over and over.

yep.
  • kater8er
    Options

There is a **** ton of OMG I GAINED 2 POUNDS!!! WTF!!! HELP ME!!! then when people suggest why and try to help OP, OP goes NO! That is clearly not the case and you don't understand.. I'm doomed to be fat.. wah wah wah.

or
    I'm only eating 400 calories a day and I'm not losing... why do you think that is? Again, people come in, explain why and try to help and OP goes but it worked before! Why isn't it working now?! and if I eat more, then I'll gain.. You guys just don't understand!

and the list goes on and on.

Too many people have been told they are special snowflakes for far to long.. and then when reality comes in, they freak and can't handle it... and thus complain about how people are bullies

special snowflakes--hahaha I like that. Maybe you're right...Idk though, I'm not just talking about the obvious 400 cal threads...
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Oh and OP - seriously, you can't do wide eyed 'I'm not creating a drama' responses here. You've been here since May 2011. Not a day has gone by since you joined MFP that someone doesn't start this *identical* thread. Your bambie act ain't gonna play.

I'm not bambi....I am honestly wondering WHY people think there are jerks on here! Some people have responded to that question...

Yes, I know that drama is *possible*, but I did not start this thread to create drama. Promise.

And, having been here since May 2011, you can honestly say a) you've never read an *identical thread* (every single day.... ) and b) you've never seen such threads rapidly descend into drama... ?

Hang on. Someone's tugging my leg. I hear the sound of bells.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,791 Member
    Options
    I'm actually wondering. I'm not questioning their existence, or crying about some jerk who bullied me...I'm just wondering...Why do ya'll think there are so many?

Is there some kind of gene that we all have that makes people on MFP more likely to be overly assertive DBs?....Are we all control freaks because we count calories obsessively? Are the ones of us who *don't* count calories obsessively but use MFP as a general tool but then get riled up to be lumped into the same category as the rest of us just defensive naturally?

I'M WONDERING! Gimme your theories!

Sometimes a discussion needs an opposing view. A counterpoint. And sometimes, people post such inane, uninformed topics that they need to be called on it.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

wait - are you asking why there are so many jerks or are you asking why people think there are jerks?

you have changed your original question in a semi-backtracking type motion. youve also been here long enough to know what these threads do.

MFP doesnt work like boy scouts - you dont get a special badge when you make one of these threads. Unless its the - 'lots of people just lost respect for you!' badge.
  • stephanieb72
    stephanieb72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Stirring the pot burns calories??
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I’m British, and get 99% of the humour and cultural references. It’s because I’m widely read, I post on the Internet and 99% of the things I post people get upset about, mainly because they do not get the humour or gist of my post. I draw only one conclusion.
  • kater8er
    Options

And, having been here since May 2011, you can honestly say a) you've never read an *identical thread* (every single day.... ) and b) you've never seen such threads rapidly descend into drama... ?

Hang on. Someone's tugging my leg. I hear the sound of bells.

I haven't ever read a "why are people jerks" thread. Yes, I've read a "MFP people are so mean!" thread, multiple times. And I'm aware of how seemingly benign threads descend into drama....Why do they descend into drama--I perceive it to be because of jerks inciting inflammatory responses with poisonous statements which could be said in a much nicer, more effective way. I'm simply asking the question: WHY do people behave this way? If it descends into drama....That's just something that might happen!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    WHY are some people lazy complainers on mfp? (philosophically...)

I'm actually wondering. I'm not questioning their existence, or crying about some person who complained that I was being mean because I was trying to get her up off her couch ...I'm just wondering...Why do ya'll think there are so many?

Is there some kind of gene that we all have that makes people on MFP more likely to be overly passive whiners?....Are they all scared to take control because they use excuses obsessively? Are the ones of us who *don't* use excuses obsessively but use MFP as a general tool but then get a really long badly structured sentence that lost me?

I'M WONDERING! Gimme your theories!

If you took a massive slice of humanity - millions on this site right? And only look for the ones that are behaving a certain way - and you see 75 of them?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

75/1,000,000

yeah - there are way too many mean people on this site.

I can't tell if you're sarcastic or not with your last statement--whether you agree with me or not. If you do agree, ha ha. And sorry about my long sentence....If you don't, I honestly think its more than 75. But okay :)

OP don't respond to these posts--the poster is being a jerk. On purpose--gets off on it.

Oh hi person who has never had a conversation with me, declaring me a jerk, on the internet, who gets my jollies being awful to people.

I believe this makes you a jerk too!

:drinker: cheers *kitten*!
  • kater8er
    Options

wait - are you asking why there are so many jerks or are you asking why people think there are jerks?

you have changed your original question in a semi-backtracking type motion. youve also been here long enough to know what these threads do.

MFP doesnt work like boy scouts - you dont get a special badge when you make one of these threads. Unless its the - 'lots of people just lost respect for you!' badge.

Actually I haven't changed my question. You can read my original post, it hasn't been edited. The title of this thread is "WHY are some people jerks on mfp? (philosophically)" So I'm wondering, why, at the *heart* of the matter--are there so many jerks on mfp--and yes, I'm wondering what *other people* think on this topic. Sorry to be confusing...
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Gee, I've never seen this topic before...
  • Aleluya17
    Aleluya17 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    bundy.gif
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    People here don't generally know each other in person, so they say things on here that they would never say to someones face, or even on Facebook or Twitter. :noway: