I want to buy a treadmill

Options
I would like to puchase a treadmill for my house. It's hard to walk/run after the kids are in bed or before they wake up, when my husband is gone.

I want to find the best treadmill with a reasonable price. I know just a couple hundred gets a poor quality treadmill but I am alsoo not willing to spend a fortune. What are some good brands to stay with or stay away from? I have been checking Costco and ****'s thus far.

Also, one that would preferrably fit down our basement stairs for our family room down there.

Replies

• yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    My friend and my mom both got great deals on Craigslist. You may look there.
  • paradog
    paradog Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Why a treadmill? Have you looked into ellipticals. They can be better exercise and cheaper.
  • 1petewest
    1petewest Posts: 281
    Options
    I agree... Craigslist is the stuff. Look daily. I know I've purchased tons of stuff that I 'HAD' to have only to find it collecting dust months later. I buy and sell on CL often! Best of luck finding what you need!
  • mlanser08
    mlanser08 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I shall have to check there. I really don't care if it's used. Now to hear what brands to search for and avoid!
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I spent about $350 on a treadmill at Walmart. It's a good beginner's treadmill...it certainly does what it's supposed to but now I'm having buyer's remorse. I didn't get a treadmill with a good incline so I either have to learn how to run faster to get a better workout or I have to buy a replacement. I'm not at a weight that feels good to do hard core running but I do think I could tolerate a change in the incline.

My two cents....

Sharon:flowerforyou:
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    I got mine on craigslist. Just look up each one you find on google ... if it has a weight limit of 300 lbs, it will be a sturdy one. But read the reviews to be sure.
  • mlanser08
    Options
    Why a treadmill? Have you looked into ellipticals. They can be better exercise and cheaper.

I like to run mainly and I really don't care for ellipticals, feels odd to me. But I will use them when on vacation in their workout centers just to switch it up.
  • LPC020409
    LPC020409 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have a Proform in January at Sports Authority. Sorry, I don't remember the model. . I use it for running and/or walking about 3x a week and have been happy with it. The one I got was about $700 dollars or so. I looked at Craigslist but worried about transporting it.
  • anna_lisa
    anna_lisa Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    one tip for craigslist. Watch for awhile before you buy

#1 usually the quicker you respond once one is posted, the greater your chances of getting it
    #2 look and see what the prices are. If you watch and are vigilant you can get a good deal

(I got an eliptical, treadmill, and stationary bike) all only a couple years old in almost new quality and all Nice quality ) nFor a deal SOOOOO unbelieveable it is unbelievable
  • 1petewest
    1petewest Posts: 281
    Options
    agree... unbelievable.
  • mlanser08
    Options
    What brands are ones to stick with?
  • paradog
    paradog Posts: 378 Member
    Options

I like to run mainly and I really don't care for ellipticals, feels odd to me. But I will use them when on vacation in their workout centers just to switch it up.

I also prefer to run but for those times when the weather or time doesnt allow...the crosstraining that the elliptical provides is worth it. I found that to get a quality elliptical was about $500, getting a quality treadmill about $900.
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    i want a treadmill to love tham
  • ThumperWabbt
    ThumperWabbt Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have a Proform 10.0Z treadmill that's proven to be a really good buy. The deck is long enough for my stride and it's well cushioned for shock absorption. The model numbers change from year to year so it might be called something else now, but most of the Proform treadmills (except for the entry level cheap ones) are decent.

You can go into any major sports store and give them a try... look for a running deck that suits your stride--doesn't make you feel like you have to run close to the front or that you'll slide off the back--and one with really good shock absorption. You won't mimic the quality of the gym treadmills, but you can get close. I think I tried 4 different Proform models before settling on the one I did...what worked for me might make you cringe.

But, it's a brand to start with...