6'4 360 lbs, how much water should I be drinking

Options
As the title says. I weight in at about 366 lbs with majority of my fat coming from my belly. I usually have no issue drinking water. But I decided to drink the recommended amount. I have been drinking 96 ounces. Do I need to drink more.

I have have also been seeing conflicting source stating I should drink half my body weight in ounces. Others say that it's very dangerous to consume way too much water.

Most articles don't address people who are morbidly obese like me. I also don't pee a lot as a result of water intake.

Info would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    As much as you are thirsty for?

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Not to be overly personal, but if your pee isn't clear or light straw color, definitely drink more. I think you'd have to drink A LOT for it to be a problem. It messes with the electrolytes. I've heard the half your body weight in ounces before, but I found that I was wanting to drink more. I shoot for 100 ounces, maybe a little more when I'm working out. If you eat fruits and veggies, you do get water from food too.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Drink when you're thirsty, have a glass before meals to help you feel full a little faster, drink more if you're sweating a lot.

When you're properly hydrated, your urine should be a very pale yellow: https://health.clevelandclinic.org/2013/10/what-the-color-of-your-urine-says-about-you-infographic/
  • branh0913
    branh0913 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Stella3838 wrote: »
    Not to be overly personal, but if your pee isn't clear or light straw color, definitely drink more. I think you'd have to drink A LOT for it to be a problem. It messes with the electrolytes. I've heard the half your body weight in ounces before, but I found that I was wanting to drink more. I shoot for 100 ounces, maybe a little more when I'm working out. If you eat fruits and veggies, you do get water from food too.

I eat a lot of salad. My pee is not super yellow, it's a very light yellow. So I think I'm fine there. But I find it odd that I don't go to the restroom that much.
  • Stella3838
    Options
    Yeah, I would think based on that alone you might want to up your intake. I go ALL the time. LOL
  • brandi8484
    brandi8484 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I was shocked at how much more water I drink since tracking it. I average 150-160 oz daily. 5'7" 386lbs.
  • _Justinian_
    _Justinian_ Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Half your body weight in ounces is a pretty good starting point. Adjust as you feel necessary.
  • Stella3838
    Options
    http://chemistry.about.com/cs/5/f/blwaterintox.htm

It's Not How Much You Drink, It's How Fast You Drink It!

The kidneys of a healthy adult can process fifteen liters of water a day! You are unlikely to suffer from water intoxication, even if you drink a lot of water, as long as you drink over time as opposed to imbibing an enormous volume at one time.

Water intoxication is possible but extremely rare. Just keep drinking through the day. There are a lot of benefits for doing it!
  • branh0913
    Options
    Thanks I think I'll up it. Half of my body weight is like 130 Oz. Which seems like a lot. But I do get the feeling my body is very dehydrated. And all of these water intoxication reports started scaring the crap out of me
  • Shawn_in_OKC
    Shawn_in_OKC Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My current goal is 200oz/day
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The interesting thing I've discovered about water during this year-long experience came to me just in December.
    I had learned how to make Neapolitan-style pizza dough and was having a 450-calorie thin crust pizza for dinner on alternate days. That was a 1700+ gram sodium blast late in the day. For several weeks I had observed my weight increase by 1 lb each day following a pizza, only to fall 1.4 lb on subsequent days. Clearly, my pizza was causing water retention. One day I finished my pizza, and then drank 40 oz of water before going to bed.
    That was a mistake, as I didn't sleep well for having to get up and piss. However, the next morning, I measured a weight loss. For my next pizza, I followed it by drinking 32 oz water before bed, slept well, and again measured a loss. For each pizza since then, I follow it by drinking 32 oz water before bed, sleep well, and have measured a loss the following day. The thing about water and salt is that you need water to maintain salt in solution inside your body. If you have too much salt, your body holds on to all available water. If you give your body more water than it needs to handle the salt you already gave it, your body will quickly get rid of the excess of salt and the excess of water. On recent non-pizza days I was having leftover Christmas ham, which was an even bigger sodium blast. On those days as well, I made sure to drink an extra 32 oz of water after my evening meal.

During my Christmas vacation, I ate too much of everything and packed on extra weight. From January 2, I've been back on my regular food plan, compensating for high sodium with more water, and have lost 9.8 lb of my vacation gains.
  • korny09
    korny09 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Depends on water loss. Do you sweat a lot? Also, I almost died once from drinking too much water. It is called hyponatremia. A low activity person should drink 6-8 8oz. Glasses of water a day. When you work up a sweat, drink more. Do watch urine color, albeit you may be diabetic which if that is true, you need to seek medical counsel.
  • branh0913
    Options
    korny09 wrote: »
    Depends on water loss. Do you sweat a lot? Also, I almost died once from drinking too much water. It is called hyponatremia. A low activity person should drink 6-8 8oz. Glasses of water a day. When you work up a sweat, drink more. Do watch urine color, albeit you may be diabetic which if that is true, you need to seek medical counsel.

I am not a diabetic. I'm usually mildly active in the gym but I've been slacking. I do plan to hit the gym regularly however.
  • shadowlike
    shadowlike Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Remember that not only plain water counts into your ,,water intake''. Tea, coffee, juices, sugarfree sodas, everything you drink except alcohol which has dehydrating effect. Of course water is understood as the healthiest of drinks, but as a former obese dude I can tell I was sweating a lot, especially in the summer. And water is not the best electrolyte you could ingest, if drank in excess it can lead to mineral deficiency. So if you drink a lot of fluids overally and you sweat a lot, I'd advise you to take some mineral supplement with magnesium, potassium and so on. I mean if you are really meaning that you'll hit the gym regularly. Even if you eat a lot of plants, you'll lose a lot of nutrients and gettings cramps is nasty feeling. So drink a lot, cause it milds hunger, but don't forget about minerals.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Experiment and see what feels good to you. I used to try for 1/2 of my body weight (in ounces), which was a general rule that I had read, but that's not enough for me (BW = 140, so this would mean 70 ounces).

I feel good at 120 ounces. My skin is not itchy and dry like it was for YEARS and I hardly every get congested.

Sounds like a lot, but it's 5 water bottles a day (at 24 oz). One in the morning, one for lunch, one in the afternoon, one for my workout, and one after. I'm in a rhythm at this point and don't even think about it anymore.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Water intoxication occurs in rare instances and it involves drinking way too much water too fast. Spread it out over the course of the day, and it'll be fine. 130 is not too much, especially if you sweat or exercise.