Large Calorie Deficit w/ Exercise

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    jtintx wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    The real tell will be how much weight you are losing per week. Starvation mode is not a thing in the short term - you would need to have a large deficit consistently over a long period of time, and all that would do is slow your metabolism, not stop you from losing weight.

If the info in your profile is correct, you have 35 lbs to go? You should be shooting for 1 lb per week. If you are consistently losing faster, you need to eat more. I think the healthy limit that is always mentioned is 1% of your body weight per week, but that would be the upper limit, fastest you should go. If you are prioritizing muscle-sparing, I think 1 lb would be the general advice.

Depending on how accurate your logging is, and how inflated your calorie burns are (both of which are likely, it happens all the time!), your deficit might not be as big as it seems.

Profile info is correct. Calorie logging is spot on based on nutrition labels and measuring/weighing food. Exercise calories are based on MFP and usually compared to other sites to verify caloric burn. Thing is I don't seem to be losing weight (other than the initial loss the first week back)...thus the hesitancy to eat back more of those exercise calories.

When did you last see a loss and how much was that loss? Is the exercise, particularly at the level it is, new or coming back after a break?
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    I appreciate the replies. But what I'm really trying to find out is will doing this a couple of times a week cause excessive muscle wasting? Or is that not really a concern?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    Calorie deficits in excess of 500 calories per day are known to draw your NEAT down. That happens because it reduces your muscle mass. There will always be some muscle loss as you lose a lot of weight. High, over 500, calorie deficits daily simply lose more than necessary.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    What you are describing could lead to Hypoglycemia. You can actually pass out or even go into a coma because of that. Besides which, you wouldn't be getting the full benefits of exercise if you don't provide your body with the building blocks it needs to repair itself.
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    I think it would depend on what calorie level you were eating at .. 1500 per day times three 4500 per week .. I have about 5250 per week trying for 1.5 per week loss .. .. so if your eating at maintaince every day and using this at calore reduction ??

Good luck
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    The answer is yes...and yes to the other comment that you're not eating enough to support your training. It just sounds like a big bunch of wrong.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    I appreciate the replies. But what I'm really trying to find out is will doing this a couple of times a week cause excessive muscle wasting? Or is that not really a concern?

What do you do on the other 4 days of the week? Are any of the 3 days consecutive?
  • carepear
    carepear Posts: 8 Member
    I haven't read all of the responsed but did read a bunch....so I apologize if this was asked. But how are you calculating your calorie burn? 1500 calories in one day is a lot to come from exercise.
  • jtintx
    red99ryder wrote: »
    I think it would depend on what calorie level you were eating at .. 1500 per day times three 4500 per week .. I have about 5250 per week trying for 1.5 per week loss .. .. so if your eating at maintaince every day and using this at calore reduction ??

Good luck

That's what I'm trying to get at. 4 days out of the week I'm not even 300 calories below maintenance. That's why I'm wondering if it really matters that on three days I have a big deficit. Some seem to think they are answering my question when they aren't. And others seem to get p.o.'d because I'd like more than one person's thought on the matter. Geez people, if it's such an inconvenience to give your input then don't! This is not toward you red99ryder.
    How is this NOT relevant to your question? Do you think you're going to keep building muscle while your hair falls out and your bones get brittle?
    I said his links (which where were about menstrual dysfunction) weren't relevant to my question.
  • jtintx
    What do you do on the other 4 days of the week? Are any of the 3 days consecutive?
    Other days are 200-300 calories below maintenance. The three days are not in a row...at least one or two days between them. Thank you for taking the time to try to figure out my question.

• jtintx
    carepear wrote: »
    I haven't read all of the responsed but did read a bunch....so I apologize if this was asked. But how are you calculating your calorie burn? 1500 calories in one day is a lot to come from exercise.

Yes, someone asked. It's usually from about 3 hours of competitive racquetball. Basing it on MFP and other sites to try to verify calorie burn. Granted that amount might not be accurate but it's the best info I have.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited January 2017
    How is this NOT relevant to your question? Do you think you're going to keep building muscle while your hair falls out and your bones get brittle?
    I said his links (which where were about menstrual dysfunction) weren't relevant to my question.[/quote]

The links are not about menstrual disorder. They are about low energy availability, which leads to low estrogen (lower than you have even now as a 50-something woman), which leads to an inability to regenerate bone tissue, which leads to osteoporosis. That adaptation happens within 2-5 days of the onset of low energy availability. How many calories do you eat all week long? How many calories do you burn via exercise all week long? Subtract the latter from the former and then divide by 7. Then multiply your lean mass in kg by 30 and compare the two numbers.

Also, if by "his" you mean mine, I am a woman.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    MFP tends to overestimate calorie burns. If MFP says 1500 calories burned, it's probably actually somewhere in the 750 to 1200 calorie range.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Other days are 200-300 calories below maintenance. The three days are not in a row...at least one or two days between them. Thank you for taking the time to try to figure out my question.

So over a week you have a 5300 - 5700 calorie deficit? I gotta be honest, that sounds dangerous. Why are you eating at a deficit on the other 4 days? Why not try to make some of those 1500 calories back up on the days you don't play racquetball?
  • carepear
    carepear Posts: 8 Member
    But I think if you are looking at weekly deficits and those are still within a non-crazy range, you should be fine even with big deficits on certain days.