Is eating strictly 800 calories a day bad for you

Options
2»

Replies

• ConnieT1030
    ConnieT1030 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    It says 1200 daily, most of the food I eat is fiber or protein and I stick to 2 300 calorie meals and banana and grapes to make up the 200. Believe me I want to eat more just afaid ill gain instead of lose just need healthy ideas

If the mfp app tells you 1200, then you will lose weight at that level, just it may or may not be as fast as you want, because if your calorie requirement is already low, it wont go lower than 1200. There's no magic number, you dont gain weight or lose at a certain number unless thats the one correct for YOU. It varies for everyone by their age, and height and current weight.

800 calorie diets are something for supermarket magazine fads, not reality. Its not healthy because any normal adult is going to burn more than that per day just being alive. Generally you should not be going less than 1000, although mfp will never recommend below 1200.
    If you regularly eat way too little, then your body will have to start taking it from your body itself- and it wont be just fat stores, it will also come from muscle, including critical muscle.

Really you can just eat normal food, but less of it than what you ate when you gained weight. You make pretty much what you cooked before if you want, just use the recipe calculator to determine a portion size that gives you a reasonable calorie amount, you want 300-350 for your three meals, which gives you room for some snacks, including the fruit you mentioned. It can be helpful to swap out some foods for more complex carb versions to keep the fiber up. Try cooking with less oils/fats/milks to bring down the calories per serving.

Water weight changes on a regular basis, shifting around a couple pounds worth, dont worry so much about the minor daily changes, just the trends over a longer period. Stay under the maintenance amount for your stats and you will lose, it just doesnt happen overnight.

There's so many places on the internet you can look up sample healthy meals you could spend all day looking through them. There's no certain special foods required. Just eat what you like, reasonably balanced (you know not to tell your kids they can eat candy and chips all day, right? so you know that's not right for you either) and look up the calories in the database on mfp, and log it. It will tell you as you go how much more you should eat that day.
  • iluvnufoods
    iluvnufoods Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm happy to hear you'll be increasing your intake! Not eating enough food puts you in danger of malnutrition which is something you probably want to avoid.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Why not eat some starchy things, bread, potatoes, pasta? These things are not unhealthy and will give you the extra energy you need to get up to your goal. Also fat, as others have mentioned. You can eat whatever you want as long as your track it accurately and stick to your goals.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Do you use a food scale, OP?
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Glad that you are upping your calories. 800 is definitely not sustainable long term.

You've gotten some good advice here, but I agree with nuts, avocado, and coconut oil.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
    avocado
    cheese
    full fat dairy
    Greek yogurt
    ice cream
    peanut butter (or other nut butters)
    dark chocolate
    less lean cuts of meat (including beef, pork, sausage, etc.)
    seeds (chia, flax, sunflower, etc.)
    nuts
    olive oil
    coconut oil
    butter
    beans and lentils
    protein shakes, bars, and smoothies
    hummus
    beef jerky
    cornbread
    tuna
    full calorie condiments
    full calorie sauces & dressings
    sour cream
    guacamole
    whole grain pasta
    rice
    bacon
    whole eggs
    quinoa
    fruit and fruit juices
    pretzels
    bananas
    scones
    muffins (bran, blueberry, banana nut, etc.)
    potatoes (sweet, red, gold, purple, white, etc.)
    dried fruit (raisins, apricots, plums, dates, etc.)
    granola
    coconut
    salmon
    edamame
    olives
    honey
    molasses

• savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    How to eat 1200 calories instead of 800?
    Add 400 calories to your current plan.

If you're not doing it already, eat enough fat that you can actually use all the vitamins you get with your meals. You could get close to the extra 400 easily with an ounce or two of nuts and adding a tablespoon of olive oil to one of your meals.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    It's important that you use a digital kitchen scale to weigh your food. That's the only real way to know the amount of calories you consume.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    It says 1200 daily, most of the food I eat is fiber or protein and I stick to two 300 calorie meals and banana and grapes to make up the 200. Believe me I want to eat more just afaid ill gain instead of lose just needhealthy ideas

800 calories a day is not healthy or sustainable. The reason MFP recommends 1200 calories minimum is because one can have difficulty getting all of the nutrients one needs under that amount without doctor's supervision. If you go too low you can become depleted at some point and get very tired. You need enough calories to care for your 5 children. Please take care of yourself.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    If you're 4'8", then 800 cal/day is reasonable.
    Otherwise, no.

You're probably eating more than you think.
    Weigh &/or measure your foods, until you have a good eye for estimating.
    Record everything. Make your diary private, but you have to be honest with yourself & have good data.

Include some healthy fats (nuts, avocado, salmon).
    Dip your baby carrots in hummus.
    You could pretty much have unlimited veggies, close to unlimited fruits, and a serving of whole grain & protein & still lose weight.

Play around with your diary, entering various foods you LIKE & seeing how they come out in calories.
    I love peanut butter, but it's got 100 cal/T, so I have some on toast for breakfast instead of 3 thick PBJ sandwiches for dinner.
    Make a big pot of vegetable barley soup. Throw in chopped-up leftover pot roast if you feel like it. Or a can of beans. Very healthy, very low-cal.

Here are some helpful posts. Definitely read sexypants.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10012907/logging-accuracy-consistency-and-youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819925/the-basics-dont-complicate-it/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/872212/youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/833026/important-posts-to-read/p1

Goal setting, including weight, calories, and macros
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-06-08-setting-goals-667045
  • farrell16
    farrell16 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Im new to the dieting and afraid to keep gaining, I started the 800 calories a day thing and in total I have lost 10 I need healthy ideas to get up to 1200 calories if 800 is not safe long term I have 5 kids so cooking healthy is sometimes a challenge really really need ideas please

Yes that is far too little for calorie intake and is not safe.
  • kelleemayling
    kelleemayling Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'11 and was just put on an 800 calorie a day diet plus prescribed phentermine today by my endroconolgist. If your short like me 800 is ideal to lose weight and 1200 to maintain after you reach your goal. If your average height id say 1200 is the lowest you should go.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'11 and was just put on an 800 calorie a day diet plus prescribed phentermine today by my endroconolgist. If your short like me 800 is ideal to lose weight and 1200 to maintain after you reach your goal. If your average height id say 1200 is the lowest you should go.

800 is not necessarily ideal to lose weight. it depends on your BMR/tdee and your activity level. there are some women here your height who eat more than that and lose weight. what may be ideal for you may not be for others
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
    avocado
    cheese
    full fat dairy
    Greek yogurt
    ice cream
    peanut butter (or other nut butters)
    dark chocolate
    less lean cuts of meat (including beef, pork, sausage, etc.)
    seeds (chia, flax, sunflower, etc.)
    nuts
    olive oil
    coconut oil
    butter
    beans and lentils
    protein shakes, bars, and smoothies
    hummus
    beef jerky
    cornbread
    tuna
    full calorie condiments
    full calorie sauces & dressings
    sour cream
    guacamole
    whole grain pasta
    rice
    bacon
    whole eggs
    quinoa
    fruit and fruit juices
    pretzels
    bananas
    scones
    muffins (bran, blueberry, banana nut, etc.)
    potatoes (sweet, red, gold, purple, white, etc.)
    dried fruit (raisins, apricots, plums, dates, etc.)
    granola
    coconut
    salmon
    edamame
    olives
    honey
    molasses

Gee, that's such a good list. I wish I'd thought of it.

You did. It was a quoting error on the posters behalf. I never posted the list or even had anything to do with it, nor did I claim I had anything to do with it @diannethegeek
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Yes, and you know that or you wouldn't be asking!
  • foojay
    foojay Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Michael Mosley says 800 cals per day is doable but only for 8 weeks. It is called (I think) The Fast Beach Diet. I do his 5:2 way of life and have lost 15kgs. I have 500 cals or less twice a week. I have lapsed now and again and sometimes had as much as 800 cals but I still call that a fast and have on occasions only done one fast a week so my weight loss has been slow. I, like most folk, love food, think food, dream food, find comfort in food grrrrr. But Im getting there thanks to the MFP app
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Bariatric patients stay on a diet under 800 calories a day for a few months. And "under a doctor's care" could just mean a visit once a month. I'm not commenting one way or another - just thinking out loud.