250 eluding me

Options
Hello All,

I've been losing weight since the end of august. I started at 300 pounds and as of right now I am down to about 262. November and December were kind of challenging with Holidays and travel. Several times I have gotten to 260 or even 259, but it seems like my progress slows there and then I bounce up 5 or 10 pounds during a holiday or vacation. I still have along way to go, but id at least like to be bouncing around the 250-260 range instead of the 260-270 range. Should I just keep grinding or do I need to make some changes? Just seems like I cant break the 260 mark.

Replies

• Captain_Wobbles
    Captain_Wobbles Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Keep chipping away at it changing one variable at a time. Recalculate your bmr and go from there. Are you adding exercise into your total calorie consumption ? Drop down the percentage you eat back. Still not working add more activity to your day. The simple solution to the issue of stalling out is to eat less and move more but it's much easier said than done. Take it from me, I was also a 300lb bro at one point.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Lots of things can make your weight loss appear to stall. Sometimes it has stalled and sometimes it is a case of water or waste in your system. I can repeat all the things we have posted on these forums which are make sure you log everything you eat no matter how small, only eat back half your exercise calories, weigh your meat etc. to ensure you are using the right amounts. Check to make sure the items you are logging are the right ones. Sometimes the calorie amounts are wrong so use the green check mark items if at all possible.

I have had a stall lately so here's what worked for me. You may not agree but I decided to reduce my expectation for how much to lose weekly. I decided to go to half a pound a week which increased my calories which seems to have gotten the ball rolling again. I know I was holding water as my rings had gotten tight. So as they say calories in, calories out is true but the frustration of not seeing the numbers go down still plays with your head. I had also noticed that my clothes were getting looser even though my weight wasn't really changing. That's a hint that you're losing and it's not your calories.

Good luck and congratulations on the 40 pounds you have lost!
  • glubben
    glubben Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Keep chipping away at it changing one variable at a time. Recalculate your bmr and go from there. Are you adding exercise into your total calorie consumption ? Drop down the percentage you eat back. Still not working add more activity to your day. The simple solution to the issue of stalling out is to eat less and move more but it's much easier said than done. Take it from me, I was also a 300lb bro at one point.

Thanks for the advice. holiday were rough, but I stuck with it. Its crazy how fast it comes back and how slow it comes off again.

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    With MFP you need to have it reassess your calorie goal every 5-10lbs. You are probably still eating at the initial deficit you set when you were 300lbs.

Tighten up your logging. We nearly all get a little lax about weighing every single thing that goes into our mouths over time. A review of your entries may be needed too. I would get lazy and do generic fruit and veg entries if things were ticking along fine, but if I was having problems I would get a lot more exact with my entries.

If you are exercising log and eat back 50 or 75%, you need the fuel, for a month, then compare this against your loss and adjust up or down as needed. Don't do it arbirairally- you won't have a good knowledge base moving forward.

(When experimenting with your personal calorie burn through exercise it is a good idea to make notes in the note section of MFP then you can review the changes you made in the future if problems arise)

Another thing, make sure you are eating enough- too great a calorie deficit can make us lethargic and our everyday activity level will drop. This means our calorie needs drop too. This can happen too if one over exercises or doesn't eat back exercise calories.

Cheers, h.