120lbs lost

Options
her4g63
her4g63 Posts: 284 Member
edited January 2017 in Success Stories
It's long - sorry (:

I can almost still hear the whispers behind me, “She’d be so much prettier if she was skinny.” I can still see the two boys picking on each other and pointing at me saying, “That’s YOUR girlfriend!” I can remember the feeling of buying my first scale and stepping on it for the first time and seeing 256 pounds on that little screen.

Two-hundred and fifty-six pounds.

Me. All 5’2.5” of me.

I joined MFP sometime in September of 2011. I was determined to get this figured out and feel good about myself. I was under the assumption that if I hit a target weight, I would instantly love me.

I didn’t step foot into a gym, I was intimidated. I lost all of my weight by changing my diet. There was some cardio I added in here and there – walking a few miles a week if I could, parking in the furthest spot in lots, etc. Nothing too overly dramatic though.

In 2013, I hit my goal weight of 127 pounds. I thought to myself, this is it! I distinctly recall the thoughts I had when seeing myself without clothes on at my “ultimate goal weight.” Still not enough to go. Felt like I had to lose more. Everyone always made it seem like the number on the scale was the most important - nobody ever told me that it required a mindset change.

I found out I was pregnant in June 2013, had my second child in December. I was proud of the fact that I only gained 19 pounds in that pregnancy and was able to lose it quickly. Still logging my foods and keeping track the best I could.

Fast forward to today. A lot has happened since then. Previous relationships ended, new ones blossomed. Purchased and sold my first home. Started school again to work on my third bachelor’s degree. Diagnosed with kidney failure. Started a new job.

It took so much soul searching and deep thinking to understand that it’s not what the scale says – it’s a mental thing. Learning to love myself at face value was dependent on me, not my relationship with gravity. Being diagnosed wasn’t a punishment.

I’ve recently decided that I want to be strong. I want to be healthy. I want to be happy with myself. I’ve added in strength training (per my doctor’s orders at first and now because I want to) and am excited to see where this vessel known as my body takes me and how far I can push it.

I currently fluctuate between 133-136 pounds, depending on what time of the month it is, how much salt I’ve had, whether I ate too many tacos or not, etc. But honestly, none of that even matters anymore… It just feels good to finally start to be happy in the skin I’m in.

The best part about adding in strength training not too long ago was getting back the best bloodwork my body has had in well over a year. And that is a remarkable feeling.

Huge shoutout to four folks that have helped me out in ways I'll never be able to repay:
My incredible boyfriend, my two sweet girls, and my new mentor and friend, Alyssa (:

I don’t have many before photos because if there was one thing to avoid, it was the camera.
Before:
148me4a3j65p.png

After:
iy7ifxa1lntu.jpeg

After:
snjb81ja09d3.png

Replies

• majess1022
    majess1022 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You look beautiful! What a journey, and you have gained so much perspective along the way.
  • ItsSlimpossible12
    ItsSlimpossible12 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Absolutely AMAZING and SO inspiring. Thank you SO much for sharing with us!
  • 3293green
    3293green Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    WOW! You don't even look like the same person. Your honesty is incredibly brave, congratulations on all of your success.
  • RAxB
    RAxB Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You look amazing!
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    I'm happy you're happy. Big congrats!
  • Eash84
    Eash84 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    <3<3
  • her4g63
    Options
    Thanks, y'all (: (:
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your amazing success! (And btw - you were gorgeous before as well!) ❤️
  • jatdh1753
    jatdh1753 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Wow - congrats to you on all of your success. You look fantastic and sound so happy!
  • naomillion
    naomillion Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your so beautifully written story! What a heart-warming and inspiring transformation! So happy you found not only a loving boyfriend and children, but the love for your amazing, strong and gorgeous self too! All the best to you!
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Gorgeous!
    Congratulations on all of your successes!
  • her4g63
    Options
    The folks on MFP are super incredible (:
    Thank you, everyone!
  • woznube7
    woznube7 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU for sharing your story, @sschwark. You are BEAUTIFUL. This is what I need. To remind myself that I too, can do this! Congrats!!
  • starfruit132
    starfruit132 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Kudos! You were always pretty inside and out, now you can see your happiness!
  • rrichichi
    rrichichi Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    great story with just some fantastic will & success - well done - hope the future is bright!
  • dazaliah
    dazaliah Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! A lot of that resonated with me as I am short (5'2") and my weight has fluctuated over the years. I also have a new position at work, new apartment and new man. I want to be healthy and learn to take my self-worth from inside. It's hard though and one coping mechanism for me was always food.
  • smkondy
    smkondy Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Congratulations-you look great!!
  • melto1989
    melto1989 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    You did great. Plus you were pretty in your before pics also. Definately be happy in your skin you look good!
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    Well done! You look great!
  • Canadianmumof3
    Canadianmumof3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You are an inspiration. Well done!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!