Crazy food myth i heard at work

Options

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    I can almost see the thought behind it. You should be gentle with produce as it can bruise and potentially spoil earlier than it might have.

But not if you're going to eat it immediately after!

Yeah, this. I wonder if that's essentially what the co-worker heard/saw/read and misinterpreted/misapplied it.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Matahairi wrote: »
    This post really made my day. Laughing at all the comments as I type this. I hate Dr. Oz. Most other dietitians feel the same way. He's such a snake-potion charlatan and I'm constantly correcting people and their crazy logic. Don't get me started on alkaline water. Please!
    I'm saddened and amazed how gullible people can be when they're desperate. My coworker kept asking me to "make her a diet to lose weight". After many months of telling her to track her food and increase her activity, which she didn't accept or want to do, I finally made something up just to see her reaction.
    I told her she needs to eat only long, skinny things and she will be tall and thin (i.e. Chinese long beans, carrots cut into thin strips, chicken and turkey julienne style, etc). I told her not to eat grapes, or tomatoes, or melons because they are round and they will make HER round.
    She really thought I was serious, guys! OMG, really??? Of course I told her it was a joke, but she kept asking me if cantaloupe will make her rounder.
    I stopped giving her nutrition advice, even though I'm a Registered Dietitian. People want to believe what they want. The scary thing is when they start sharing this stupid info or have a nationwide tv show.

OMG!!! This is probably the best post of the day!!! LOL!!! :D
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    This thread made my day. Thanks for the giggles.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    DON'T GOOGLE SALAD TOSSER!!!!!!

It's not any worse than Googling tackle washer. 9s5qou38oeak.gif

LOL

I do get a bunch of fishing sites (which is what I mean by being a tacklewasher)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    If you didn't eat it for 2 days and all the bruise spots turned to yuk, it might be a problem. But eating it right away is fine!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Lol, I swear people listen to some of the most stupiest things without questioning it. Good thing the OP didn't fall for it and got some great feedback.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • karmatiger
    karmatiger Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I swear people are just getting more and more stupid...from a logic standpoint, it doesn't even make sense.

The other day I was bemoaning the lack of non fat free yogurt at the store and told my husband that fat is good for the brain and the rise in the number of stupid people is due to too many people eating fat free foods. I was joking at the time but now every time I read something stupid I wonder how much fat the person gets in his/her diet.

Interesting hypothesis. It would explain much!
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I laughed at that comment and just eat and walk
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    kejw08 wrote: »
    Yeah but as long as the container is closed they will stay contained and you can eat them like croutons.

Mmmmm, congealed nutrient croutons. They're the best.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    kejw08 wrote: »
    Yeah but as long as the container is closed they will stay contained and you can eat them like croutons.

Mmmmm, congealed nutrient croutons. They're the best.

I like to dip mine in ketones.
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'm sure the lettuce, carrots, tomatoes, cucumber, peppers, avocado, tomato, whatever arrived in the salad bar or lunch box entirely intact and were not cut into smaller pieces. I mean, if they bruise from shaking, the nutrients must evaporate when sliced.