Which one do you pay the most attention to? Do you count calories, fat, carbs or sugars?

Options

Replies

• JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Calories first. Then I I make sure I get enough protein. Everything else generally falls into place on it's own when I get those two things in line.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    For me:
    1. carbs - I am prediabetic and need to keep this low to control BG. Low carbs also reduces my appetite which helps with....
    2. calories
    3. protein - I have to make an effort to hit y moderate protein macro
    4. sodium

I don't worry about fibre or fat. I get way more than the dietary minimum for fat, and I don't believe fibre is as helpful to health as people thought.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I don't count anything but I pay most attention to calories, fiber and protein, in that order.
  • beccahun1
    beccahun1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My priority focus is on calories.
    Secondary are carbs & sugar (I try to keep them low/in check)
    And my third is iron, I try to keep it up if possible (damn near impossible)

• bluebell67
    bluebell67 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

bluebell67 wrote: »
    This is my second day on here and have found it very interesting to read what everyone has said. This is probably a silly question but when I look at my good diary the carb column is showing two figures one with a bracket around it and one without. What do each mean?

HI there...was trying to help answer this question but maybe I'm not looking at the correct page or something. Are you maybe referring to your Totals (what you ate for the day), and your Daily Goal? I don't have brackets around anything, though...you said you're looking at your food diary page?

This is what I'm referring to:

cp8ysmfp92xi.jpg

Hi dragon_girl26

Thank you for trying to help. This is what I mean:-

2f0be1s3mwb5.jpg

I hope this message comes out ok. I'm new to all this. Fingers crossed I've attached a photo and this message gets to dragon_girl26 ok. :/

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Calories and protein. If I hit those, the carbs & fat take care of themselves.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    I focus on calories, and making sure I get enough protein. Everything else? Not a big deal for me.

This for sure!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    @bluebell67

Are you, by chance a premium member? I don't know if premium does this, but my guess - and this is just a guess - is the numbers in parentheses are net carbs? Because if you subtract the fiber listed from the total carbs, you get the number in parentheses - that number is also your net carbs.
  • bluebell67
    edited January 2017
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    @bluebell67

Are you, by chance a premium member? I don't know if premium does this, but my guess - and this is just a guess - is the numbers in parentheses are net carbs? Because if you subtract the fiber listed from the total carbs, you get the number in parentheses - that number is also your net carbs.

Hi, no I'm not a premium member. Ah yes I think you are spot on. Thank you. I feel a bit silly that I didn't notice this myself. I just decided to dive in and trying to take in so much on here. :blush:

Oh my goodness looking at my food diary now I'm try to eat a low carb diet which was recommended to me by a nutritionist. She told me to aim for about 20% net carbs but I'm struggling with how to work this out. I suppose it's early days. Any tips on this would be gratefully recieved.

Als I read somewhere today that if someone is following a keto diet their daily net carbs should be at 5%. I cannot get my head round this, I mean what can you eat to achieve just 5% net carbs. I think carbs are everywhere.. :blush:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    I focus on:

1. Calories to lose weight
    2. Increasing protein and lowering carbs, which helps with my satiety, which helps with # 1
  • HazyEyes93
    HazyEyes93 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    CALORIES. It doesn't matter if I'm getting 0 calories from carbs if I'm getting too many calories from other macro nutrients, I will still gain weight. However, I do try to keep a balanced diet. I pay special attention to protein, as I want to maintain as much muscle mass on a deficit as I can. I try to be reasonable with carbs, sugar, and fat (though f I'm a little over or under, I don't sweat it). Don't care too much about sodium, so long as I'm not thousands of mg over.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    @bluebell67

Hi, no I'm not a premium member. Ah yes I think you are spot on. Thank you. I feel a bit silly that I didn't notice this myself. I just decided to dive in and trying to take in so much on here. :blush:

Oh my goodness looking at my food diary now I'm try to eat a low carb diet which was recommended to me by a nutritionist. She told me to aim for about 20% net carbs but I'm struggling with how to work this out. I suppose it's early days. Any tips on this would be gratefully recieved.

Als I read somewhere today that if someone is following a keto diet their daily net carbs should be at 5%. I cannot get my head round this, I mean what can you eat to achieve just 5% net carbs. I think carbs are everywhere.. :blush:

The Low Carber Daily group, in their stickies /launch pad, has some instructions to set it up with net carbs.... I don't know if it is just for premium or not.

If you want 20% net carbs, set your carbs for 25 or 30%, using higher if you tend to eat a lot of high fibre foods.

As to the 5% carbs, I eat this way. If you skip most pre-prepared foods - foods you won't find in nature without a fair amount of processing and refining - then 5% is not too limiting. I tend to eat about 3 servings of veggies and nuts per day. I skip all sugar and grains. Nothing essential missed there.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Calories, calories, calories, with some attention to protein for satiety.
  • bluebell67
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    @bluebell67

The Low Carber Daily group, in their stickies /launch pad, has some instructions to set it up with net carbs.... I don't know if it is just for premium or not.

If you want 20% net carbs, set your carbs for 25 or 30%, using higher if you tend to eat a lot of high fibre foods.

As to the 5% carbs, I eat this way. If you skip most pre-prepared foods - foods you won't find in nature without a fair amount of processing and refining - then 5% is not too limiting. I tend to eat about 3 servings of veggies and nuts per day. I skip all sugar and grains. Nothing essential missed there.

Thank you so much nvmomketo. I've just asked to join The Low Carber Daily group. Hopefully they will accept me. I've also send you a friend request as I'd very much value any advice you can give me as this is only day 3 for me so need to start implementing changes and need to learn a lot. :blush:
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Priority for me:
    1) Calories
    2) Protein (make sure I'm getting enough)
    3) Fibre (same reason, plus I'm old!)
    4) Fats (make sure I'm in range)
    5) Sodium (make sure I'm not getting too much)
    6) Carbs/Sugar (meh, don't care.)

;)

This is pretty much me, too. I focused primarily on calories and try to meet or exceed my protein goal each day.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I pay attention to calories, protein, fat, fibre, and iron. I ditched the sugar tracking ages ago...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I know in order to maintain a brand new healthy lifestyle it's kinda important to take note of all these things (carbs, calories, sugar, fat ect..) but does anyone solely focus on just one more than the other? Lately I've been focusing a lot on my carbs, because the majority of the fat and sugar I consume come from meats like chicken or fruits like apples, banana's and such..so I don't think they are as the fat and sugar you find in candy bars, and and other sweets/fatty foods that are processed....anyone else do this?

I focus on calories for weight management...macros and micros for proper nutrition and fitness performance.

Also, carbs are more than just processed foods and candy bars...there are many nutritious, whole food sourced carbohydrates. Veggies are carbs, fruits are carbs, things like lentils and oats and legumes are carbs...whole food starches like potatoes and sweet potatoes and other root vegetables are carbs. These are all pretty good for you.
  • Libellue23
    Libellue23 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I do low carb so mine are;
    Calories, carbs (low), protein (high)
  • Fit_in_Folsom
    Fit_in_Folsom Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my macro ratio in line. If I am going to go low, I will go love on carbs. I do look at sugar.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Calories
    Carbs/sugar (If I keep carbs at 20-30% calories are easy!)
    Fiber: have had some tummy problems...enough fiber seems to help
    Fat: too much of a good thing is just too much!