Which one do you pay the most attention to? Do you count calories, fat, carbs or sugars?

Options

Replies

• cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    A nutritionist once told me to pay attention to the protein and the carbs/fats would take care of themselves - and I've found that to be pretty accurate.

I don't really consider myself a calorie counter....but I do try to keep the number of calories a day around 1600-1900 range. It seems like according to Fitbit that I burn about 2100-2300 calories a day, and there's a chart that shows calories in vs calories out - so as long as I keep the calories in line below the out line - enough that I can tell there's a difference LOL - then I lose weight.

• tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I pay attention to carbs. When I do that, I find the rest takes care of itself (but I understand I'm the odd man out here).
  • mrramsey1969
    mrramsey1969 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I know in order to maintain a brand new healthy lifestyle it's kinda important to take note of all these things (carbs, calories, sugar, fat ect..) but does anyone solely focus on just one more than the other? Lately I've been focusing a lot on my carbs, because the majority of the fat and sugar I consume come from meats like chicken or fruits like apples, banana's and such..so I don't think they are as the fat and sugar you find in candy bars, and and other sweets/fatty foods that are processed....anyone else do this?

Personally I watch them all to a degree. Calories at the top but what a lot of people fail to consider is the quality of the calories that are consumed. I have looked at a lot of open diaries here and while yes, one can count the calories be under their goal and lose weight, when you look at what it is that they are consuming there is no way they will be able to sustain that long term. Things like soda, sugary snacks etc.

I by no stretch am a "clean" eater but I do try to make wise choices. The less processed the better.
  • NancyYale
    NancyYale Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I count calories only for weight loss. I eat lots of carbs, mostly whole grains and veggies, lots of lean proteins and dairy. I moderate sugar, but have no intention of cutting it out completely. Works for me.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    I focus on total calories and activities. (Keep moving!) I then focus on sticking primarily to a plant based (99% vegetarian) diet: veggies, grains, whole fruits, etc. By adopting this diet, I dont have to watch fats or sugars. And my last cholesterol test showed me at 117 total cholesterol.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I know in order to maintain a brand new healthy lifestyle it's kinda important to take note of all these things (carbs, calories, sugar, fat ect..) but does anyone solely focus on just one more than the other? Lately I've been focusing a lot on my carbs, because the majority of the fat and sugar I consume come from meats like chicken or fruits like apples, banana's and such..so I don't think they are as the fat and sugar you find in candy bars, and and other sweets/fatty foods that are processed....anyone else do this?

Personally I watch them all to a degree. Calories at the top but what a lot of people fail to consider is the quality of the calories that are consumed. I have looked at a lot of open diaries here and while yes, one can count the calories be under their goal and lose weight, when you look at what it is that they are consuming there is no way they will be able to sustain that long term. Things like soda, sugary snacks etc.

I by no stretch am a "clean" eater but I do try to make wise choices. The less processed the better.

Read this thread for a real eye-opener. OP was pretty meticulous about documenting his progress and it seems more than sustainable for him: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10348650/cico-still-skeptical-come-inside-for-a-meticulous-log-that-proves-it/p1

If we're talking sustainable, I find it much more sustainable to eat the things I like, with some of them in moderation and within the proper context in the diet, rather than trying to white-knuckle through an overly restrictive diet with ridiculous/nonsensical artificial limitations. I don't find that sustainable at all.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    If i was forced to choose one, it would be calories, purely because of weight loss/maintenance. But for me, Calories, protein and fibre are all number 1, followed by fat and then carbs.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Calories are king.... I try to meet or exceed fiber and protein and have some fats (try to get goal), for satiety and health. Carbs I dont really watch other than trying to choose complex or enriched varieties (typically have fiber and protein!!). I also try to keep sodium under 2300 or I can tell the next day (tight rings!)
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Maintenance days
    1. Calories

3. Fat
    4. Protein, it's close to fat, but I notice a lack of fat more
    5. I'll look at sodium and fiber to explain water weight

Fast days
    1. Calories
    2. Sodium. I started drinking beef broth on those days because I ended up with night cramps from too much water and not enough salt.
  • Michelle2622017
    Michelle2622017 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Calories only.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    For weight loss most important to me is calories and getting good enough protein, fiber and calcium.
  • eday79
    eday79 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I track my calories and focus on the macro content, protein, fats then carbs.
    I do this whether to lose body fat or gain lean mass
  • TheBetterBecky
    TheBetterBecky Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I count all of it. I noticed while trying to lose that if I eat all of my calories from carbs it doesn't budge. The sugar I eat comes mostly from veggies because even broccoli has a few grams of sugar. But even a white bagel can turn to sugar. Just aim for foods with lots of fiber because the fiber slows down the process and makes you feel fuller. I agree with snickerscharlie with the post right above mine :)
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Stay within calorie goal

Get all your protein

Try to get all your fiber

Try not to go over your sugar unless it's fruit that's putting you over your sugar limit that's fine

I'd focus on those, in that order.

I'd also try to get in some exercise, both strength training and cardio.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I focused only on the calories while losing....as I got closer to goal I started paying more attention to protein and that's the only macro I still keep an eye on.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    I focus on calories, and making sure I get enough protein. Everything else? Not a big deal for me.

This.
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar is sugar is sugar. Your body does not differentiate. They only reason to restrict or promote any macro is personal preference. For instance I prioritize protein and love dietary fat (apparently) so I fill up most of my CALORIE goal with those. Carbs naturally fall in at a lower percentage but I am not doing LCHF. I am simply eating at a macro split that my body likes and tends to keep me satiated. Don't micromanage. Experiment with different meals and see how long the calories last you in satiety. Eventually you will learn your body's preferences.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I focus on total calories and activities. (Keep moving!) I then focus on sticking primarily to a plant based (99% vegetarian) diet: veggies, grains, whole fruits, etc. By adopting this diet, I dont have to watch fats or sugars. And my last cholesterol test showed me at 117 total cholesterol.

Totally off topic here but are you concerned about your cholesterol number? My total cholesterol is 143 and doing some reading I found that there may be some negative health issues that can develop associated with having a lower number. My doctor still labeled me in the normal range but I'm a little uneasy about being on the lower end. Wondering if your doctor has said anything about your number?
  • eday79
    eday79 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Water intake is also important but is sometimes over looked. I find that when my water intake is higher, around 3litres, my body fat percentage is lowered.
    A well hydrated body can function how it is supposed to.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Calories.