question for those who workout first thing in the morning...?

Options

Replies

• kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I mix up some whey protein, coffee and amino energy in a shaker cup and put it in the fridge the night before. I'll suck it down before I head to the gym.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I get my gym bag ready the night before then:
    4:30am alarm goes off
    -pee/wash my face/brush my teeth/drink water
    -put on gym clothes
    -make coffee/fill up water bottle and put ice pack and drink in son's lunch box (lunch prepared night before)
    -drive to gym while drinking coffee
    -arrive at gym around 5:35
    -work out till 6:15
    -get ready in locker room and arrive at work at 7.
    -drink more coffee
    -breakfast/food anywhere from 7:30 to 10 depending on the morning
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I'm out the door at at 4:00am, so I have a small breakfast shake (Carnations Breakfast Essentials; light and easy to digest), and 15 minutes later, I'm ready to run for about 90-120 minutes. After that, I'm pretty hungry and have my proper breakfast then.
  • noemorales1022
    noemorales1022 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    When it comes to working out in the morning, it really depends on how your nights are. If you can go to be consistently at 8PM or even 9PM, then you're golden. Your body will adjust and you'll have the best workout ever and feel super energetic the rest of the day. Plus, confident since you've already accomplished something big! However, of you have one late night, or a couple in a row, your morning workouts will suck. So before you commit to getting up early, develop a routine at night first. Good luck. I wake up at 4:30 AM, doing HIIT and then weights.
  • noemorales1022
    noemorales1022 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    And no food. As long as I start working out first thing I don't even think about food.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I only workout in the AM during the summer as it is a better alternative to cycling in 100*+ temps. I train fasted @ around 5:30 AM and eat my breakfast when I get to work.
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,255 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 4:00 every morning and at the gym by 4:55. I have a pre-workout drink. That's it. I usually have a greek yogurt in the locker room while I'm getting ready for work.
  • slinky_shaz
    slinky_shaz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    oh my gosh! you guys are all amazing getting up at 4am!!! i thought 6:30am was a good start.

only trouble is i don't go to bed at 8pm or 9pm. i've only just sat down now from my day and it's 9:15pm. i'll be up for at least another 2 hours.

i'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

thanks for all your tips and routines - it's really helpful.
  • andrea4736
    andrea4736 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Yes, I get up every morning at 4 to do my workout. I HAVE to work out on an empty stomach or I get super sick. I sometimes chug a pre-workout if I can't wake up or feel sluggish.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    oh my gosh! you guys are all amazing getting up at 4am!!! i thought 6:30am was a good start.

only trouble is i don't go to bed at 8pm or 9pm. i've only just sat down now from my day and it's 9:15pm. i'll be up for at least another 2 hours.

i'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

thanks for all your tips and routines - it's really helpful.

I only wake up at 4:30 because I have to and I only get 30 minutes work out, which I would do longer if I could but I can't. Sleep as long as you can!!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,599 Member
    Options
    My trainer told me that you can do cardio with an empty stomach but if you are doing weights, it's recommended to eat something before. I wake up and 6 to go running some days and I would only drink water but if I'm feeling hungry usually I would eat a bit of nuts or cheese and I'll be fine :)
    As a trainer in the industry, I'll disagree with your trainer. In fact, I personally workout fasted each morning lifting weights.
    Ask your trainer why it's okay to train cardio on an empty stomach. I bet they say it's to burn fat...........................and they would be wrong there too.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I typically get up around 4:45-5AM, drink coffee or a pre-workout drink (sometimes both) and stretch until 5:30. I then do a session of cardio on my elliptical/stairstepper for about 30-35 minutes as a warm-up then transition directly into body-weight circuit training for the next hour. I try not to rest at all between sets, I simply transition to a different muscle group. It's pretty intense and wears me out. But I do not eat before working out, I just drink coffee, a pre-workout drink, and drink water during my workout as needed (I sip on a bottle of water). After my workout I hit the shower and get ready for work, then it's breakfast and a protein shake. I do this about 5 days a week for recomp. The hardest part about getting up early to work out is getting to bed at night. I sometimes sneak off to bed around 8-8:30pm and for someone with kids that might be tough. I watch TV in bed until I get sleepy but generally am asleep by 10 at the very very latest. Gives me 6-7 hours of sleep on those 5 days.
  • Voltarik
    Voltarik Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Remember one Golden Rule of loosing weight.
    No food after 7 PM and before 7 AM.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything for breakfast before a run or swim. I'm afraid my uh hem..... Bowels will move. Then coffee coffee coffee!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    it's got a lot to do with what fits most comfortably with your schedule and life. personally, i'm not sure if morning workouts are all that efficient for me, as i have to add a fair bit more warmup and mobilization compared with the end of the day.
  • MagneticGanymede
    MagneticGanymede Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I prefer to workout fasting in the morning.
  • LuluIsLosing
    LuluIsLosing Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I get up just after 5, have some water only, then start my workout right away. Then I shower and get ready for work, then eat when the rest of the house is up.
    Like you, I was trying to workout once my boys were in bed and it was hard. I was exhausted and it felt like a chore. I now love my morning workouts! It energized me for the day and I don't have to think about it again until the next day
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    hi,
    i was just wondering how you do your morning.
    i usually workout at home after baby has gone to bed (6:30/7pm) and before i've cooked dinner for my husband and i. it's annoying to be honest so i'm thinking of doing it in the morning instead. i'm up at 6:30am so have window to do it before the house wakes up and i leave for work but do you eat or drink beforehand? the thought of exercise at 6:30 on an empty stomach makes wonder ....

thank you

Depends what your goals are. Cardio on an empty stomach is best (Fasted Cardio) as you're burning fat, not food in your stomach. I workout at 4:30 every morning but I eat carbs before as I'm trying to build muscle. Usually a bagel.
  • stephysd
    stephysd Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    I don't eat. I get up at 5am and drink 8 ounces of pre-workout drink to boost energy and then have 24 ounces bottle that I sip on during my 30-40 minute workout at home. After that I shower and by then my gradeschoolers are awake. I make breakfast for all of us, of which mine is typically two eggs and a cup worth of veggies. On weekends, I sleep in and will workout whenever I get up. I am much more hangry then and usually eat half a banana before working out. I find if I eat too much before working out I get sluggish...hence why I workout in the morning. When I try to do evening workouts I don't seem to have the mental stamina and way to many distractions from the littles.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Morning: Wake, pee, weigh, drink water, do cardio, drink water, cook breakfast, eat, shower, dress.

Even if I get up at 6 a.m. I prefer exercising in the morning. Anything to keep me busy and out of rush hour traffic.