Getting enough sleep?

Options
MzPix
MzPix Posts: 177 Member
I occasionally hear blurbs that getting a full 8 hours of sleep every night is beneficial to weight loss. Does anyone know if this is true or false? Or what the science behind the claim might be?
I would think calorie for calorie, a person would burn more calories if they spent less time sleeping.??

Ironically, I need to get to bed for tonight, but hopefully I'll awaken refreshed to all sorts of facts and opinions on this topic!
(Thanks in advance for replies.) :yawn:

Replies

• Bellum24
    Bellum24 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Your body definately needs down time to rest and recover, if not your body will go into stress mode and your cortisol levels will rise causing you to not lose weight!
  • AKeire
    AKeire Posts: 1
    Options
    A good friend of mine has the theory that when you are fatigued, you eat to stay awake and alert. I know that when I don't sleep enough my body asks for the quick carbs and stuff that gives quick energy. So, I do think that sleep helps in weight loss.
  • Paulette56
    Paulette56 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Lack of sleep creates stress on the body which in turn promotes the secretion of cortisol which encourages fat deposits--or so I hear.
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    i have SEVERE insomnia. like they are doing clinical tests on me now and we have been trying to treat my insomnia for almost 3 years now... so i am very passionate about the importance of sleep!!!

http://www.better-sleep-better-life.com/benefits-of-sleep.html
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I've heard that. But my problem is I have to get up early in order to get a workout in. So what is more important, sleep or working out??
  • anna_lisa
    anna_lisa Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Lack of sleep creates stress on the body which in turn promotes the secretion of cortisol which encourages fat deposits--or so I hear.

TRUE..........

TRUE ...... not only encourages fat desposits but tell the body to hang on to extra fat. and also throws off bodys clock and can send signals from the brain to eat more --> stimulating appetite and cravings............. This is very true.. especially women more so than in men.

A recent study follow two groups of women and the group that slept on average of 5-6 weighted on average 15 more lbs than the women that slept on average 7-closer to 8 hours a night (controlling for confounding factors)
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    less sleep I get, more junk I eat the next day. IDK if it's scientific, but there seems to be a pattern, so yes science, lol. . .
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    When I was getting my sleep study done, then getting fit for a CPAP machine, I was told that I would probably find that I did not need a full 8 hours of sleep. I might do just fine on 6 hours or even less of quality sleep. I was also told that a byproduct of quality sleep is increased metabolism and that I would probably lose 5-10 lbs over the next few months without even trying. Hard to tell if the last part is true because I have indeed been trying. But I feel better than ever and am getting 6.5 to 7 hours of really good, solid, deeeeeep sleep every night :)

If you have trouble sleeping, there's a reason. And there's people that can find it out for you. Can't recommend it enough!
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    sleep is more important.
    via my doctor.

to whoever posted about am workouts and sleep..... forgot to "quote" it :)