Fit Through Fat

Options
Hi, I am new here and would like to let you know about my weight loss journey to come, and what I want to accomplish.

Basically I have been overweight from the age of 6 or 7, so basically as long as I can remember. I've previously tried losing weight following things like Weight Watchers, tried with the help of a Doctor but with no success.

So this time I am doing it all differently; I am starting to count calories which seems to be the most successful way of doing it for me so far and seems to be working thus far. I started on the 7th of January and weighed 319.6lbs I worked out that to maintain that weight I needed around 3200 calories a day, which I was exceeding previously with ease. I have decided to cut down my calories to 1500 a day maximum, this including breakfast, lunch and dinner (no snacks).

I thought I was going to be feeling hungry constantly with this new diet, but I have actually found the opposite, I'm feeling full for longer and feeling more energetic and better in myself already and seem to be giving my body a chance to clear itself out of all the crap.

In the 4 days I have been doing this 1500 calorie diet I have managed to drop to 314.5lbs which I think is a good start and I know will fluctuate greatly in the coming weeks and months but I'm happy with the results I'm getting already. It's giving me drive to improve myself further and to reach my goal; My goal by the way is to drop to 200lbs or less in 51 weeks, so by the 31st of December I want to be there. If I'm not quite there by then, then it will not be the end of the world, but I want to be fairly close so I can continue to improve myself.

That is my short term goal anyway, my long term goal (3-5 years) I want to manage to get down to 5-10% body fat and work on toning myself up.

Sorry for the long post, thought I'd share my goals with you and hopefully get some advice and guidance on the way through this challenge.

TLDR; FAT GUY WANTS TO STOP BEING FAT

Replies

• Savagedistraction
    Savagedistraction Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Keep it up. I'm blunt and mean at times but as long as you are making sincere effort and not making excuses you have my support.
  • tonyburkes
    tonyburkes Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Keep it up. I'm blunt and mean at times but as long as you are making sincere effort and not making excuses you have my support.

Thank you :D
  • helengetshealthy
    helengetshealthy Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    1500 calories per day is not sustainable for a man generally, let alone a man of your current size. If you do some research and use an online calculator, you will find lots of resources on how many calories a day you can have and lose weight. For a few days the 1500 might be fine but this kind of restriction could cause you do bounce back, so if you really want to address this as a long term issue, I would advise looking into a different way to structure your food and exercise.
    I know you can do it, and just keep up that motivation and drink lots of water! Good luck ^_^
  • tonyburkes
    Options
    1500 calories per day is not sustainable for a man generally, let alone a man of your current size. If you do some research and use an online calculator, you will find lots of resources on how many calories a day you can have and lose weight. For a few days the 1500 might be fine but this kind of restriction could cause you do bounce back, so if you really want to address this as a long term issue, I would advise looking into a different way to structure your food and exercise.
    I know you can do it, and just keep up that motivation and drink lots of water! Good luck ^_^

The plan I discussed with a personal trainer was to do 1500 calories a day for 6 weeks, drinking nothing but water, no snacking and just full meals. After this period has commenced it is then meant to be 1750 calories a day for a further 6 weeks again drinking nothing but water, no snacking and full meals and then after the 3 months, move onto a 2000 calories a day diet for a steady 2lb a week loss for the following 45 weeks drinking only water and squash, having healthy snacks between meals and having full meals, do you feel this is a realistic target from the trainer or should I re plan this all?
  • helengetshealthy
    helengetshealthy Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Well, since you've said it was a personal trainer, I can assume you're doing an exercise regime too? Then there's no way 1500 will be enough in my opinion! I definitely think you should spend a little time on the boards here and online, take into account the things that have worked for other people - mostly, when people have a realistic and sustainable calorie goal for each day, it helps. I don't want to discourage you at all, but just remember that if you're working out, you'll be burning calories so your body will need more than what your personal trainer appears to be recommending.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Been there ( 300+ lb), done that (1500 calories daily). Got the loose skin. My advice is that you begin your heavy lifting program now and eat at a deficit of no more than 250 calories per day.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    tonyburkes wrote: »

The plan I discussed with a personal trainer was to do 1500 calories a day for 6 weeks, drinking nothing but water, no snacking and just full meals. After this period has commenced it is then meant to be 1750 calories a day for a further 6 weeks again drinking nothing but water, no snacking and full meals and then after the 3 months, move onto a 2000 calories a day diet for a steady 2lb a week loss for the following 45 weeks drinking only water and squash, having healthy snacks between meals and having full meals, do you feel this is a realistic target from the trainer or should I re plan this all?

Sounds reasonable given your size, though losing 2lbs for the whole 45 weeks isn't realistic - as you get closer to 200lbs you'll want to reduce your deficit.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I started on the 7th of January and weighed 319.6lbs I worked out that to maintain that weight I needed around 3200 calories a day, which I was exceeding previously with ease. I have decided to cut down my calories to 1500 a day maximum, this including breakfast, lunch and dinner (no snacks).

TLDR; FAT GUY WANTS TO STOP BEING FAT[/quote]

That is an aggressive deficit. It will help to kickstart fat loss but you may need to increase calories.
  • tonyburkes
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback guys! I am not planning on exercise other than walking at the moment, but definitely given what you guys have mentioned it might be worth getting the opinion of another trainer/ dietician and maybe a doctor too.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    tonyburkes wrote: »
    Thanks for all the feedback guys! I am not planning on exercise other than walking at the moment, but definitely given what you guys have mentioned it might be worth getting the opinion of another trainer/ dietician and maybe a doctor too.

i presumed when you mentioned a trainer that you had a workout plan - if not, then you're using a very aggressive deficit and will lose a lot of muscle if you're not lifting to retain it.