Is whey protein worth the investment?

Options
Catnipp_
Catnipp_ Posts: 27 Member
edited January 2017 in Food and Nutrition
I have started to incorporate weight training into my exercise routine, I'm following Jamie Easons plan and the plan recommends protein powder.. thing is I have no clue what to buy or where to start and I'm on a budget! Thoughts/input?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Do you manage to eat sufficient protein from food sources? If so, don't worry with a protein powder! If you struggle hitting at least the minimum amount of protein, it might be worth looking in to. A WPI is probably a good option as they contain very little carbs or fat, so the best option calorie wise for the amount of protein.

I prefer eating my calories, so rarely use any powder. I get enough through meat/fish, eggs, dairy, and other sources (the amounts in my vegies and nuts adds up, also grains/beans etc if I eat them). I sometimes add protein to yoghurt, or to pancake mix to bump up the protein content a little.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    You don't need to buy protein powder if you don't want to
    You can just eat foods rich in protein
  • FlufferCat
    FlufferCat Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    If you don't have much time after your workout it can be a convenience.You might not feel like eating a solid meal after working out really hard.
    I've also seen research suggesting that Whey Protein helps fat loss.
    And of course it's the best building substance for muscle gain.
    If you really don't care for though,you can do without.
    I do use Optimum whey,and a few other brands and really find it useful.I lift 5/6 days a week so it's helpful to get in the extra protein fast,and easy.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Whey protein is one of the cheapest sources (if not the cheapest source) of protein on a $/g basis.

Costco sells 6# of Muscle Milk Cytosport whey isolate for just $39.99 or just $6.67/# or 53 cents & 27g of protein/scoop. . This is about as cheap as it gets.

In comparison, 1/2# of chicken breast, which usually costs more but can be bought on sale for $1/# will yield about 29g of protein for 50 cents.

However, it is much easier to consume 1 scoop of protein powder mixed w/water (or w/milk for even more protein) than it is to consume a 1/2# of chicken breast, especially if you are doing it everyday for breakfast as I do.

So, if you cannot meet your protein needs w/"real" food only, your best choice is to supplement w/whey protein powder.

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    If you struggle to meet your protein requirement then yes it can be an option. Don't forget that it has calories and should be tracked as part of your intake. The number of people that start lifting, hear that they should be taking protein shakes and then stop losing weight is astounding.
  • malgamin
    malgamin Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I toyed with the same idea but opted for eating foods high in protein as already mentioned above.

For bread though I use burgen soya and linseed it's the highest protein I have seen so far but it is higher calories but it's a decent pay off for me

I know a few lads who use protein powder and either way is good but it will cost you more in powder as a yorkshire man I just can't bring myself to spend more money
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    malgamin wrote: »
    I toyed with the same idea but opted for eating foods high in protein as already mentioned above.

For bread though I use burgen soya and linseed it's the highest protein I have seen so far but it is higher calories but it's a decent pay off for me

I know a few lads who use protein powder and either way is good but it will cost you more in powder as a yorkshire man I just can't bring myself to spend more money

Whey protein is the cheapest way to get protein if you compare "grams of protein/£". Far cheaper than chicken, steak or any other foods.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2017
    Options
    malgamin wrote: »

Whey protein is the cheapest way to get protein if you compare "grams of protein/£". Far cheaper than chicken, steak or any other foods.

It will also have a higher leucine content, which stimulates protein synthesis. I do drink a protein shake (mixed in milk) prior to my workout, but that is mainly because my lunch is 4 hours prior and I get a bit hungry.
  • Catnipp_
    Catnipp_ Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the wonderful insight! I'm currently a full time student and I'm currently finding it difficult to meet my protons requirements on school days, I'll try it out and see if it works for me.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Catnipp_ wrote: »
    Thank you for the wonderful insight! I'm currently a full time student and I'm currently finding it difficult to meet my protons requirements on school days, I'll try it out and see if it works for me.

there's a site called labdoor which has analyzed some of the protein powders on the market, so you can get an independent third party's say-so on which ones give you the most actual value for what you're spending. if budget is a concern you might want to take a look.