Costing a lot more money to eat healthier! :(

I'm buying two seperate shops, one for my family and then my own food shop which is a lot more healthier and low calorie/fat free things, it's costing a bomb todo this and it's draining my purse :( anyone else find this?

Replies

• Jayj180894
    Jayj180894 Posts: 286 Member
    To save money I go to the reduced section and freeze when I get home! Or buy the deals 2 for 1 etc and just freeze untill I need it! You can freeze lots of things! X
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    It is an absolute myth that healthy food = expensive.

That entirely depends on where you live, and there have been studies that prove it absolutely does cost more to eat healthy, particularly in food deserts. That being said, if someone has the time to prep and cook meals and doesn't live somewhere where healthy foods are out of reach, cost or distance-wise, then it is absolutely possible to eat healthy for less, particularly if you buy lots of things in bulk.

What does it matter where you live? You just eat what you have always eaten but eat less of it. That way you save money.

If your hungry buy seasonal local veg or ask at allotments, use this to bulk out your plate.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    My family eats what I eat, with the exception of a few of my gluten free foods. I have celiac, they don't. I spend $600-650/month for a family of six including toiletries, cleaning supplies and dog items. It also includes protein powder & protein bars.
    I eat less than I used to and they eat some things that are healthier than what they used to eat. So be it.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Clearly buying everything separately for your family is not working for you. Like others suggested, you and your family absolutely can eat the same meals. Just portion your meal (or snack) out appropriately for your calorie goals. For example, if you're having chicken, potatoes, and broccoli, portion yourself more broccoli and less potatoes than you might portion for another member of your family. Make sure you are weighing and measuring your foods as appropriate so you can figure out your portions.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    I don't find it to be any more expensive. I don't buy any junk food (except for occasional single servings after a run) anymore. I buy more (usually frozen) vegetables and a bit less meat. Mostly cutting down on the high-calorie-dense starchy foods - but much of this is cutting the portions of this cheap calorie source rather than replacing it with something more expensive. If I do a rice-based dish, I dilute with extra amount of frozen/canned veggies. I can get almost everything I buy from the cheap lower-cost grocery store (rather than the supermarket). I do a lot of egg salad/salmon salad/tuna salad/chicken salad. A lot of rice & beans (where the rice, beans, meat is largely 'diluted' by frozen veggies). I do everything in batches and pre-portion out into known calorie content.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited January 2017
    The easiest transition may be to just buy more vegetables to take up volume on the plate, so you can lower the portion of calorie-denser foods you already make. They don't have to be organic, fresh, etc. Frozen/canned is fine. And you'll get more servings out of the main dish.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Down 42lbs so far and 50 years old...
    I eat what my family eats. I weigh and measure, they don't. I exercise my wife doesn't (daughter is getting into it).
    I don't snack as much as they do so I've incurred very little extra expense. (protein bars, powder)