apple cider vinegar

Options
has anyone tried incorporating apple cider vinegar into their diet? If so, can you tell me how you used it and if it worked? I'm trying the military diet this week and plan on adding a bit to my tea

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I use it on my salad. It works great as the vinegar part of salad dressing.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I see no reason to use it other than as a salad dressing component
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I use it to kill fruit flies in the summer. And it gets bad smells out of laundry - great for getting rid of cat pee smell. I guess that's not my diet though.... And the military diet is a total joke. Just a vlcd with zero nutrition.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Not sure about apple cider vinegar, but white vinegar is awesome for cleaning! Also, soothes minor burns. Next time you burn yourself, try it. You'll be amazed!
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    I just recently learned that you can use it as a rinse for your hair instead of normal conditioner. My hair has never been so soft.

But for weight-loss? If it makes you so nauseous from drinking it that you can't eat, I can see it having an impact, but otherwise? No.
  • karmatiger
    karmatiger Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's just the latest trend. The "one trick to health and weight loss" thing is popular as many people like the idea of a short cut. If there was a short cut that actually worked, it would have been common knowledge for centuries.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    karmatiger wrote: »
    It's just the latest trend. The "one trick to health and weight loss" thing is popular as many people like the idea of a short cut. If there was a short cut that actually worked, it would have been common knowledge for centuries.

It's not even a "latest" trend. ACV for weight loss was touted in the '70s. OP, if it worked, the American obesity epidemic would never have happened.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Apple cider vinegar and the military (not endorsed by the military at all) diet will do nothing for weight loss. The diet will only cause you to lose water weight and be miserable and hangry... been there, done that. No need for vlcd and heavy restriction for weight loss.

The only thing required for weight loss is a calorie deficit which is already built into your mfp calories. That's it. No need for kick starts, detoxes or heavy restriction. No need to cut foods out, either. Eat what you like and enjoy.

^^^^
    THIS!!!
  • jmeloe12013
    jmeloe12013 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Good for salad
  • rileysowner
    Options
  • lenette88
    lenette88 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies and knocking some sense into me, apple cider vinegar is out haha. The military diet I'm using more as a way to somewhat get ideas of what to have for some meals, but there's no way I'm having 5 saltine crackers for lunch.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    lenette88 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies and knocking some sense into me, apple cider vinegar is out haha. The military diet I'm using more as a way to somewhat get ideas of what to have for some meals, but there's no way I'm having 5 saltine crackers for lunch.

Eat what you normally eat, but less of it. Log it carefully, and make it fit your calories. Then start swapping out things that don't keep you feeling full for things that do, and things that have less nutrients for those that have more. Sticking to your calorie goal is what is important, not the type of foods you eat, at least for weight loss.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    The "military diet" looks so depressing it makes me want to cry just reading what it entails. I'd much rather eat normal foods and stay under my 1470 calories for the day. And eat normal stuff.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    lenette88 wrote: »

Then why use it at all? Simply plug your stats into mfp and let it calculate how many calories you need to be eating each day in order to lose the weight.

A scammy diet such as the Military Diet (which was only given that name so people would think it was something valid) teaches you nothing about nutrition, portion size or how to eat in a healthy and sustainable manner while still losing weight. :)
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    I think people fail when they try to make such drastic changes all at once. Ease you way into this and learn as you go. Forget gimmick diets and other nonsense. Eat what you normally eat and start counting calories. It will start to become obvious what is pushing you over and you can adjust from there.

BTW - Having been in the US military, I can tell you the 'military diet' probably won't help you lose. Of course the 'real' military diet consists of large quantities of beer every weekend and fast, greasy meals every day. It works OK for an 18 year old who is training all day. Probably not so good for everyone else.