Roasted veggies

Options
2»

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,119 Member
    Options
    Just log the raw weights under 'raw' entries in the database. The only thing they tend to lose in cooking is moisture, which won't affect the calorie count to any relevant amount.

This is what I do.

And a reasonable amount of my calories do come from veggies, so yes, I count them. :)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    keharty wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I love roasting veggies in the oven but am having a hard time figuring the calories out. I use onion, red pepper, carrots, zucchini and yellow squash. I can weigh everything by grams before cooking but they shrink down tremendously in the cooking process. Suggestions? I can't separate everything after cooking as I mix them all together when roasting.

To answer this, are you sharing it with others? If so, weigh the total and figure out your percentage of it, that you won't have exactly the same proportions isn't going to make that big a difference. In fact, since veg aren't that high cal, I would normally eyeball it -- half for me, half for him or some such. Then apply that percentage to your raw numbers.

If all for you, ignore cooked weight and use the raw weights.

They are all for me, lol, over the course of a couple days. What I have been doing is weighing them raw individually and adding them to the recipe builder. I then weigh the whole pan (empty pan and then full pan) to get the total weight of the veggies. Last night the total weight was 1225 grams. I edited the recipe to show 1225 1 gram servings. However once the veggies had all cooked down the finished weight was much less. I weighed out 400 grams of the finished product which was really about half of what I cooked (I don't use olive oil BTW). Just seems like the shrinkage would have some effect on the serving size if that makes sense.

If you know how many serves you'd have (say, 3 meals of vegies) input the raw weights, and make it for that many serves. Once you've baked it, reweigh and divide by the serves to find out how much weight per cooked serve.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I love roasting veggies in the oven but am having a hard time figuring the calories out. I use onion, red pepper, carrots, zucchini and yellow squash. I can weigh everything by grams before cooking but they shrink down tremendously in the cooking process. Suggestions? I can't separate everything after cooking as I mix them all together when roasting.

To answer this, are you sharing it with others? If so, weigh the total and figure out your percentage of it, that you won't have exactly the same proportions isn't going to make that big a difference. In fact, since veg aren't that high cal, I would normally eyeball it -- half for me, half for him or some such. Then apply that percentage to your raw numbers.

If all for you, ignore cooked weight and use the raw weights.

They are all for me, lol, over the course of a couple days. What I have been doing is weighing them raw individually and adding them to the recipe builder. I then weigh the whole pan (empty pan and then full pan) to get the total weight of the veggies. Last night the total weight was 1225 grams. I edited the recipe to show 1225 1 gram servings. However once the veggies had all cooked down the finished weight was much less. I weighed out 400 grams of the finished product which was really about half of what I cooked (I don't use olive oil BTW). Just seems like the shrinkage would have some effect on the serving size if that makes sense.

Since you are going to eat them all I'd say use the raw weights and just divide them into portions.

The entries (the good ones) should either specify raw or are for raw, cooked ones will say cooked.

Good source for good entries (https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list?qlookup=&qt=&manu=&SYNCHRONIZER_URI=/ndb/search/list&SYNCHRONIZER_TOKEN=d3cea83a-4136-495a-84be-b13b2fbea72e&ds=Standard+Reference): the same words are used to find the identical entries on MFP.
  • gettingreallyfedupnow
    Options
    I saved time by initially using the recipe builder to work out how many calories in a bowl full of various veg (roughly 200 for the bowls I have). I now assume every veg bowl is 200cals. I know it will vary from day to day, but averaged over a few weeks, it's accurate enough for me.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    FFeric wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    FFeric wrote: »

Okay, but that is false. If you eat clean meats and veggies and you're in an energy balance, you will not lose. If you eat them in a surplus, you will gain. Period.

If I understand what you are saying correctly, you are telling me that if I eat clean protein and veggies and the caloric intake is exactly what I burn per day, I won't lose any weight. But if I go out and stuff myself with an average of 100 more calories (then what I burn off) of the same foods per day at the end of the month I will be roughly a pound heavier?
    If you eat a calorie surplus above your TDEE, you will gain weight, regardless of what type of foods you are eating ("clean" or not). Do you believe otherwise?

I think if you trade crap foods for clean eats you will lose weight even if your net calories stay the same every day.

False. I've been eating low and no processed "clean foods" for years. I cook almost all of my food from scratch. The only thing that helped me lose weight was eating fewer calories. I changed nothing about my diet except the calorie load. Pounds dropped. If you "trade crap foods for clean eats", your health will surely benefit, but you have to reduce calorie intake or increase calorie burn in order to lose weight. Keeping calories the same will result in maintenance. It's physics... :)
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Weigh ingredients raw, add to recipe builder.
    Add other ingredients to recipe builder.
    Roast veggies.
    Weigh roasted veggies in grams.
    Edit recipe to show number of servings equal to weight in grams (e.g., if entire tray of veggies weighs 1000 grams, set recipe to show it makes 1000 servings.)
    Weigh out however much you want to eat, in grams.
    Log what you eat using your portion's gram weight as number of servings (e.g., 257 grams would be 257 servings.)

@keharty I hope you didn't miss this post. This is exactly how you would log any recipe you make.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Log them raw and enjoy. I did this today with an acorn squash - peeled it, chopped it, weighed it (exactly 1lb), logged 1lb raw acorn squash then roasted it on a pan with some seasoning. With a little bbq sauce, lunch. If I was sharing it as a side with someone, just log the percentage you do eat.
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I roast a lot of veggies also. I think it's worth it to measure the calories in the roasted version. Example cauliflower loses a lot of moisture and you then end up having a significant amount more of calories (and potassium) per gram of roasted product. Think you'd be surprised on the amt of moisture lost especially if you cut up the veggies into smaller pieces.

I need to do this with beets next as I think my raw data is way off compared to sliced then roasted.

Roasting things whole would likely result it a lot less moisture loss but obviously longer cook times and then have to do meal prep after by slicing etc.

At least try it once as you'll then have a general idea if it really ups the caloric/nutrient density per gram of roasted.

Also: I looked up my roasted cauliflower recipe with 1tbsp of avacado oil. Started with 1701g of raw contents and after roasting it was only 950g.
  • FLBeachluvr
    FLBeachluvr Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Weigh ingredients raw, add to recipe builder.
    Add other ingredients to recipe builder.
    Roast veggies.
    Weigh roasted veggies in grams.
    Edit recipe to show number of servings equal to weight in grams (e.g., if entire tray of veggies weighs 1000 grams, set recipe to show it makes 1000 servings.)
    Weigh out however much you want to eat, in grams.
    Log what you eat using your portion's gram weight as number of servings (e.g., 257 grams would be 257 servings.)

@keharty I hope you didn't miss this post. This is exactly how you would log any recipe you make.

I did almost all of that except for weighing again AFTER the veggies were cooked. That may be why my amounts seemed off.