Soda

Options
So I am on day three of no soda and I feel like absolute crap! Headache, tummy ache, my body feels tired and my mind as well.
I asked my trainer about it and he told me I'm having what he calls a "sugar crash" and told me to eat something sweet.

Did anyone else experience this?
How long does it last?
Any tips on how to reduce the symptoms?

Replies

• 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Yes. It's technically a sugar withdrawal. For me it cleared up in about 3 days.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Could also be caffeine withdrawal since depending on the soda they also contain caffeine...
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    Could also be caffeine withdrawal since depending on the soda they also contain caffeine...

I had these exact symptoms when I went from drinking two pots of coffee a day to zero coffee. It wasn't even intentional. I just didn't feel like coffee. The headaches were awful.

Take a headache medicine that contains caffeine and you'll probably feel better.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I also wondered if it's the lack of caffeine. Iced tea will be your bestest friend ever if you're looking to cut sugar and calories but not caffeine.

If you're comfortable with eliminating caffeine, make that decision right now, otherwise you'll suffer like this when you don't get it.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Have you replaced the caffeine with something else? If not then that's why you feel like crap. Caffeine withdrawal can be pretty nasty, especially with the headaches. I've cut out diet soda before but I've always balanced the caffeine by drinking extra black tea. No problems then. Have more coffee/black tea and you'll start feeling human again :)
  • EmilyDawn1111
    EmilyDawn1111 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I am only cutting out soda right now. I'm still drinking my XL coffee every morning! :tongue: Trying to take things a bit slow so I don't overwhelm myself.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I am only cutting out soda right now. I'm still drinking my XL coffee every morning! :tongue: Trying to take things a bit slow so I don't overwhelm myself.

Try drinking more coffee and I bet it will make you feel a lot better!

• MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options

In that case, have a Snickers :-)
  • EmilyDawn1111
    Options

Try drinking more coffee and I bet it will make you feel a lot better!

I'll give it a try thanks! :smile:
  • EmilyDawn1111
    Options
    MsAmandaNJ wrote: »

In that case, have a Snickers :-)

haha! mmmmm chocolate!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    It's sugar withdrawal. Rejoice in it. Life awaits on the other side.
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    When I stop drinking soda, I miss the caffeine. Coffee makes me jittery, so I drink green tea instead. 0 calories & just the right amount of caffeine that I need.
  • jcraig10
    Options
    Also, sometimes...you just need a soda. I like to buy those little tiny 8oz cans for days that I need the extra caffeine/sugar/bubbles. 80ish calories I think
  • bpp23
    bpp23 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    It gets better. I just hit 6 months of no soda at the end of December. The first few days were the hardest despite drinking coffee in the am. Good luck!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »

Yeah. I'd assume it's either caffeine or you are doing more than cutting out soda, OP, as soda is not the only source of sugar for your body (it's in lots of things, including fruit, and your body easily breaks all carbs down basically the same way, so shouldn't differentiate between starchy carbs and sugar).

Cutting carbs way down can make you feel bad in the short term -- it's not withdrawal, it's your body transitioning to rely more on other fuel sources plus possibly due to dumping of sodium (in which case adding some in can help).
  • ajw101788
    ajw101788 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I went 4 months will no soda i never had the withdrawals. My problem was I picked it back up after loosing 15 pounds ):
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    My guess would be less caffeine than you're used to...
  • Kguz87
    Kguz87 Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Starbucks has Refreshers and they contain caffeine but no artificial sweeteners or chemicals. For a Grande it is only 90 calories.
  • dabeck62
    dabeck62 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've discussed this with my doctor and they're more in agreement with the caffeine withdrawal. When I tried to get rid of regular sodas, my sinus headaches lasted 3 days. Used a sinus headache medicine and that helped immensely. I've recently started watching my soda intake and am now on just 1-2 Diet Pepsi's a day. I want to eliminate them entirely but I need some sort of beverage replacement...I don't drink coffee or like teas of any sort. I tried the carbonated waters...ug. Need something other than plain water... Thanks, Becky
  • jcraig10
    Options
    dabeck62 wrote: »
    I've discussed this with my doctor and they're more in agreement with the caffeine withdrawal. When I tried to get rid of regular sodas, my sinus headaches lasted 3 days. Used a sinus headache medicine and that helped immensely. I've recently started watching my soda intake and am now on just 1-2 Diet Pepsi's a day. I want to eliminate them entirely but I need some sort of beverage replacement...I don't drink coffee or like teas of any sort. I tried the carbonated waters...ug. Need something other than plain water... Thanks, Becky

I like to add a True Lemon packet to my water...makes me drink it faster, and more of it. Have you adding fruit to your water to flavor it? You can add lemon, orange, berries, mint. Experiment!