Weight the same, thighs and glutes larger

Options
Hi, I have been doing strong lifts 5x5, hammer and chisel and insanity off and on for 4-5 months. I alternate the workouts around the 5x5. Problem is, my thighs and glutes are getting bigger, butt I'm fine with, thighs not so much. Could this be swelling from so much lower body exercise, I am constantly sore and am gonna probably take a week off of lower body to see if it helps. Any thoughts? I am 5'9 140 lbs

Replies

• jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Not so much swelling as it is increased muscle mass from lifting. It's near impossible to work out your glutes without activating your quads. Why are you upset about larger legs if it's muscle?
  • playadelcarmen2
    playadelcarmen2 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Because I'm going to Mexico for a month and none of my shorts fit right. I leave February 28th and am not sure if that's enough time to change things up. Thanx for your response.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you were recomping and gained some muscle.. that is awesome!

If none of your shorts fit, either buy a few more, or wear skirts or dresses... and by the looks of your photo I would probably spend all day in a bikini and throw on a dress or sarong when you go in for a bite if I were you ;)
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    ^ Yup...buy new shorts and show off your new muscular legs. Be proud of the fruits of your labor!
  • playadelcarmen2
    Options
    Thanx so much you guys.....the larger thighs have definitely been messing with my mind. Funny thing is, I have been doing a recomp, just never planned on my thighs getting bigger. I'll be grateful and deal with it.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Yes, focus on the positive and be proud! Just like you can't spot reduce fat, you can't spot reduce muscle.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi, I have been doing strong lifts 5x5, hammer and chisel and insanity off and on for 4-5 months. I alternate the workouts around the 5x5. Problem is, my thighs and glutes are getting bigger, butt I'm fine with, thighs not so much. Could this be swelling from so much lower body exercise, I am constantly sore and am gonna probably take a week off of lower body to see if it helps. Any thoughts? I am 5'9 140 lbs

Considering how leg intensive all those programs, i definitely wouldn't be surprised if there were swelling.
  • playadelcarmen2
    Options
    I also thought adding muscle would mean less mass but heavier on scale. I think I'll take a week off of the 5x5 squat and see what happens. Just for peace of mind, trying to figure it out is maddening
  • essexgirl1971
    essexgirl1971 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    wow you look amazing for 47 , im 45 and trying to lose 4 st. your an example that it can be done and age dosnt come into it
  • playadelcarmen2
    Options
    Thanx for the link Amyrebeccah, sounds like, it's what I need.
  • playadelcarmen2
    Options
    Thanx essexgirl1971, I've always worked out, so that has helped with the aging process. Quit smoking six months ago and perimenapause is making things a little more tricky. If you make you r health a hobby, it comes easier. Listen to ppl on here and don't give up the good fight. You'll do just fine. Good luck to you. Thanx for reminding me I'm 47.