smoking with asthma and exercise PLEASE HELP

Options
Now, I know you are reading this and prolly just gonna reply with "If you have asthma, why are you smoking, you should stop, its bad for you, etc. etc." If that is the case THEN PLEASE DO NOT REPLY. I have made choices in my life and they are mine. I can only fix one thing at a time.

My question is-

Is there anyone out there that has been able to lose weight with having limited lung capacity? what type of workouts did you do?

I just really need ideas. Please help!

Replies

• rmalanisv
    rmalanisv Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Start walking.

I am a smoker for many many years. I decided to start an exercise program for health and to lose weight. I started in March this year. Walking in a treadmill. 2 miles (in 36 minutes) for the first two weeks. Every time I hit the treadmill, I pushed myself to g either faster or longer. I got to walk up to 70 minutes (almost 5 miles). Today I run. Although I am a slow runner, I keep myself pushing harder every time. Out of my 60 minutes workouts, I run 4 series for 10 minutes each (no resting no walking). The other 20 minutes are for warming up and some walking rest during each series.

I still smoke. Maybe not 1 pack a day but very close to it. I lost 25 pounds in the process without any specific diet, just keeping the calories suggested here in MFP.

Is slow weight losing pace but I keep drinking my beers on the weekends and having pizza and burgers also.

You can do it. Start slow and build up your lung capacity.
  • rebeccalray5
    Options
    I used to smoke and smoked for ten years. I never had a weight problem before because I bought my cigarettes before my food (for myself) and I had a active job. I did have a period where I wanted to be more fit but I didn't quit smoking. I walked. I didn't run because I would have keeled over:) I still can't really run and it's been over two years since I quit but I'm trying.

You have asthma so I don't want to say anything that your doctor doesn't agree with because I don't know the severity of your asthma or what your doctor suggests. Have you tried talking with your doctor on what s/he suggests for an adequate and safe exercise considering?
  • VanillaBone
    VanillaBone Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I switched to en electronic cigarette and am now, (about six months later) able to run.

They're not for everybody, but it changed my life.
  • helyg
    helyg Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I don't smoke, but I am asthmatic. I am having a fairly good run at the moment, but a couple of years ago I was being hospitalised at least twice a year with it. I am still under the respiratory consultant, and take Singulair and Phyllocontin as well as Symbicort and Salamol inhalers.

I find that being asthmatic does limit what I can do, but I am hoping that if I build up gradually it will get better. I walk a lot, at a pace that gets me out of breath (eg walking 5k including up and down hills in about an hour). I also cycle. Long term I would like to try couch to 5k, but that depends on me having a really good stretch without any asthma attacks. I swim, and have booked a course of lessons to improve my technique. Swimming is good if you have asthma (as long as you can tolerate the chlorine) as the air is warm and moist. I do low impact aerobic workouts, but can only manage 15 mins at a time at the moment without getting wheezy.

I always take my inhaler before starting, and stop if I feel tight chested. Rome wasn't built in a day. But exercise is very good for asthma and gradually things should get better.

And if you want inspiration look at the Olympic athletes - Bradley Wiggins, Rebecca Adlington, Paula Radcliffe, Greg Rutherford, Tom James and Craig Bellamy are all asthmatic Team GB athletes. Bradley Wiggins smokes too :smile:
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    Bradley Wiggins smokes, are you sure? And an asthmatic, are you sure?

I say carry on smoking but the doctor should no longer prescribe you with asthma medications. Better to be fat than smoke, I am an ex-fat smoker and I know which is better. As for you making choices, no you do not make the choice to have an addiction you make the choice to ignore it.

However, weight lifting is a proven way for asthmatics to increase lung capacity. Numerous studies to support this and weight lifting is least likely to trigger an astma attack. back that up with plenty of evidence here that lifting is great for losing weight then you seem to have an answer.

But giving up smoking should be your number one concern. And don't stop trying to give up.

Give up smoking, not what you want to HEAR but TOUGH.

GIVE UP SMOKING
  • helyg
    Options
    Bradley Wiggins smokes, are you sure? And an asthmatic, are you sure?

I say carry on smoking but the doctor should no longer prescribe you with asthma medications. Better to be fat than smoke, I am an ex-fat smoker and I know which is better. As for you making choices, no you do not make the choice to have an addiction you make the choice to ignore it.

However, weight lifting is a proven way for asthmatics to increase lung capacity. Numerous studies to support this and weight lifting is least likely to trigger an astma attack. back that up with plenty of evidence here that lifting is great for losing weight then you seem to have an answer.

But giving up smoking should be your number one concern. And don't stop trying to give up.

Give up smoking, not what you want to HEAR but TOUGH.

GIVE UP SMOKING

Yes, I am sure:

http://www.asthma.org.uk/news-centre/latest-news/2012/07/bradley-wiggins-leads-the-british-olympic-hopefuls-who-are-flying-the-flag-for-asthma/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/cycling/9476594/Bradley-Wiggins-celebrates-Olympic-gold-with-wine-and-cigarette-in-Majorca.html

Now I'm not saying that smoking is ideal, but the list of asthmatic athletes is quite inspiring.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Being a smoker and smoking once in awhile is different in my book. I can have a beer every once in a while and not be a drinker too.

you may have made your life decision, but please think about how it impacts people around you. As someone who is directly effected from a family member who refused to stop smoking for decades and is now battling lung cancer, it isn't just about you.
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    Diagnosis of asthma compared to being an asthmatic. Just because the doc gives out steroid inhalers does not make you an asthmatic.

GIVE UP SMOKING, Get control of the life that GOD gave you. (as per profile info.)
  • aaronf289
    aaronf289 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You are right, it is your life and you can do what you want with it....who cares what others think. however, your question has an obvious answer....you just don't want to see it. Not being mean, just honest.
  • helyg
    Options
    Obviously I don't have indepth knowledge of Bradley Wiggins' medical history, I am just going by the report on the asthma uk website. Similar story on the BBC. And as an asthmatic I find it pretty inspiring, as does my 8 year old asthmatic son.

I also find two of my asthmatic friends, one of whom runs marathons and the other one who competes in triathlons, pretty inspiring.

If you don't try you won't get anywhere.
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Try an ecig. It worked for me. I don't sell them but I have done a lot of research and tried different types.PM me if you want more info.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm not a smoker but I do have asthma and have lung damage (BAD case of pneumonia with complications when I was younger). I start small and build up. Run before walking, do short circuit training before trying to do a full length cardio class, etc. Just build up to it and your lungs will adapt.

And, obviously, work on cutting back or quitting the smoking when you have the capacity to do so.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i had asthma and i smoked, and still did a little while i started exercising. but i quit, and it's the best thing i ever did for my asthma, and my exercising. over eight months now.

quit. quit now. just have the will power to make the change.
  • Asha0714
    Asha0714 Posts: 88
    Options
    Coming from a daughter who recently lost her mother, due to years of smoking, I think you already know the answer to this.
    Much luck to you.
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I've had very bad asthma all my life and I found that I was using it as an excuse not to push myself. Use your inhaler 30 min before exercise, and work on your cardio. The more you push yourself with your workouts, even something that doesn't strain your breathing like bike riding vs running is great to build yourself up. 2 years ago I started riding my bike daily, I rarely winded but I found after a couple months I could actually run without having an asthma attack.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 34 years before quitting in 2009 and joining MFP and a gym. I could not exercise at all, which is why I put on so much weight. A flight of stairs would have me reaching for my inhaler. I took bronchodilators and used a nebulizer. I smoked between 2-4 packs a day. :embarassed:

I smoked for so long because I didn't want to put on MORE weight from quitting.

But I decided to turn that around and do it MY way.

I figured that I would quit and THEN, I would be able to work out. I couldn't run next door when I started, but within 2 years, I had lost 40 pounds and can run/walk 5k.

So, I know you say you don't want to quit and you want to do just one thing at a time, but losing weight is SO much easier when you can work up a sweat and get out of breath without keeling over :smile: It's 4 days of hell and you're done (quitting, that is).

In any case, I wish you luck and feel free to add me if you decide to try it my way!
  • lynzyn
    lynzyn Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    In order to loose weight u have to change your lifestyle completely and part of that is giving up the things in life that u like doing that are bad for you so it's your choice...Loose wight feel great equals stop smoking, i did it and i am severely asthmatic i ride my bike everyday and my lungs r doing well along with the meds i am taking, so if u want a lifestyle change and b able to do your exercises and eat properly plain and simply stop doing what u r doing and do what u gotta do to be healthy. There are alot of programs to help with your situation, good luck
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I am a smoker and struggling with quitting so I know how bloody hard it is so no judgement from me on that.

I don't do much cardio partly because I don't enjoy it partly because of my breathing.

I use the weight machines at the gym to lift heavy and love it. It has really changed the compostion and shape of my body. Probably easier for you to do strength training as you can do it in your own time and take frequent breaks if you need them.

One thing that I am finding helpful is using an inhalator to try and quit the *kitten*, this gives me my shot of nicotine without the harmful smoke. If you can replace half your smoking that way then you will be doing your lungs a favour. Check with your doctor first though as I am not sure about it affecting your asthma but can't see that it would be any worse than smoking though.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    It depends on what type of asthma you have. I have asthma pretty bad asthma, and exercise (particularly running) actually helps it temporarily. A pulmonologist tech told me it's because the exercise endorphins help dilate your bronchial tube. If you do a really good warmup, you may experience this as well. But be careful, because it doesn't work for everyone. And obviously it doesn't work with exercise induced asthma.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    You are right, it is your life and you can do what you want with it....who cares what others think. however, your question has an obvious answer....you just don't want to see it. Not being mean, just honest.

Completely agree with this statement. Its like asking how can I be drunk 24/7 and still get my cardio in. I know its your life but you have to pick one or the other. Its either continue to smoke or live a healthy life. You can not have both.