Ramping sets vs Straight sets

Options
Hello. Which is your favorite for gaining muscle? Ramping sets or straight sets?
Thank you!

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Straight sets or straight sets + drop sets. Ramping sets seems silly to me, why would you fatigue yourself before your hardest sets?
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I prefer Reverse Pyramid Training or Modified Straight Sets to either of those options, personally. But I am by no means big so what do i know.
  • hamshor
    hamshor Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    Straight sets or straight sets + drop sets. Ramping sets seems silly to me, why would you fatigue yourself before your hardest sets?
    Mycophilia wrote: »

Straight sets + drop sets are a good choice. But i find straight sets boring :/
  • jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Agree with ryry; reverse pyramid training has helped me push through plateaus on all of my big lifts. Also enjoy the pump you get at the end from the higher volume.
  • hamshor
    Options
    ryry_ wrote: »
    I prefer Reverse Pyramid Training or Modified Straight Sets to either of those options, personally. But I am by no means big so what do i know.

Reverse pyramid sets are nice, anyway i prefer ramping sets :)
  • hamshor
    Options
    jmt08c wrote: »
    Agree with ryry; reverse pyramid training has helped me push through plateaus on all of my big lifts. Also enjoy the pump you get at the end from the higher volume.

Yes , it gives you a nice pump. But you should do a lot of warm up sets before jumping on first heavier set :/
  • ryry_
    Options
    hamshor wrote: »
    jmt08c wrote: »

Yes , it gives you a nice pump. But you should do a lot of warm up sets before jumping on first heavier set :/

You would definitely warm up before jumping into it. The idea is your first working set where you are theoretiically your freshest is going to be your heaviest set.
  • ryry_
    Options
    And bottom line if you are consistently adding weight to the bar with ramping and eating a diet to support building muscle then thats awesome. There is always some personal preference when it comes to those things as long as the few absolutes are being adhered there is a lot of wiggle room.
  • hamshor
    Options
    ryry_ wrote: »
    And bottom line if you are consistently adding weight to the bar with ramping and eating a diet to support building muscle then thats awesome. There is always some personal preference when it comes to those things as long as the few absolutes are being adhered there is a lot of wiggle room.

i'm considering to implement reverse pyramid sets to my routine. Thank you, well explained :smile:
  • ishmallow
    ishmallow Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Ramping. Just gives me something to do while cooling off and I'm slightly motivated by increasing the weights. Gives me a lil more drive
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    I do straight sets during hypertrophy training blocks. Usually during strength blocks too but also drop sets after 1 top heavy set.