Logging my exercise

Options
I'm new to this app been logging what I'm eating just wondered dose it matter if I don't log my exercises

Replies

• sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,801 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It depends on your goals. I don't log my exercise and figure anything I burn by exercising is a bonus. Some people like to "earn" more calories to eat by logging exercise. Others like to log a symbolic 1 calorie to keep track of what they're doing.

If you do want to log and "earn", just be careful - activity trackers and gym machines estimate how much you burn based on averages. If you're not the average the company has established (i.e. you're shorter, taller, younger, older, the wrong gender, etc.) the numbers could be way off. It might take a few weeks of logging to figure out whether your tracker/machine is accurate, and whether or not you need to adjust the settings of the device (i.e. your tracker) or adjust how much you log on MFP.
  • brdoyle8
    brdoyle8 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I log my exercise but so far I haven't eaten any of my exercise calories. It's just something I like to keep track of, and I find it rewarding to log it and see how I've done. I work hard not to eat those "bonus" calories. I have separate fitness goals to meet that don't include eating extra calories in my day.
  • mishcarroll
    mishcarroll Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I log my food but on days that I work out extensively I may log those exercises as a rule of thumb for what I'm eating to maintain. Example: we did a double gym day with lots of weights and lots of cardio. Day 1 was 4 1/2 hours. I was fine with only 1,450 calories to goal. Day 2 was five hours I needed more calories that day. I went over in allowance but by logging my additional calories burned I was actually in the positive on calories that could be allowed. It's a guideline. To make you realize what you are eating , it helps if you are staying super active and need more food to keep running. The best part for me personally is the link for " more " and I look into my nutrition to get a round about of what I'm taking in. I was waking up cramping in my legs and had like zero potassium . So this week I went to get foods with more of what I was lacking. Helps to keep me straight. If you are doing your food ! That is amazing in itself. Good job friend !
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'm new to this app been logging what I'm eating just wondered dose it matter if I don't log my exercises

Earning exercise calories is how My Fitness Pal is designed. You were given a calorie goal with zero exercise factored in. Not eating at least some of them back gives you a larger deficit than you signed up for.

If you have a modest weekly weight loss goal & don't workout much eating back calories is not such a big deal.

But never counting exercise when: you are closer to goal, or you exercising a lot, or you have an aggressive weekly weight loss goal isn't smart. It will result in "bonus" weight loss, but a larger % of that weight is going to be lean muscle mass.

Do you want fast weight loss or do you want a lower body fat %?

• markwebber_2012
    markwebber_2012 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sorry guys didn't see the replays I thought mfp would of sent me a notification tellinh me I had replays thanks for your messages.