Just discovered quinoa love it ,tips?

Options
Any tips recipes and the such its so good!

Replies

• brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Oh quinoa!! Love it! For a break on the price try finding it in the bulk bins at a health food store. Search Veggie Quinoa Pilaf on epicurious.com. It's the very best side, low fat and full of veggies! So delicious!
  • jolteon00
    jolteon00 Posts: 89
    Options
    I just discovered that you can make quinoa instead of oatmeal for breakfast. I don't know why I didn't think of it before! Try it with honey and fruit or nuts for a sweeter treat :)
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I love quinoa in the morning with a bit of honey, raisins, and skim milk. YUM! I need to get myself some more.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
  • plumpncurvy
    plumpncurvy Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I like to mix a little pesto in mine...Yumm!
  • mamastuck
    mamastuck Posts: 131
    Options
    Looks like I will try it in am with berry mixed dry fruit and a tad skim milk! Thanks all trucking away here
  • sarah829522
    sarah829522 Posts: 139
    Options
    i just made a batch today and normally would use chicken broth/stock instead of the water. i didn't have that so i used plain water, threw in a bay leaf a tsp or so of olive oil, a good shake of italian herbs, couple shakes of s&p and 1/2 tsp of turkey base (paste) that i had in the fridge.

for me that's enough to eat it as a side like rice.

i haven't tried it sweet or for breakfast - i'll have to do that soon.
  • mamastuck
    mamastuck Posts: 131
    Options
    Yes I made it this evening with onion and green peppers and red peppers and 2 spoons of corn omg i was in heaven! I didnt even use any oil or butter so proud
  • furrina
    furrina Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    This recipe is so amazingly delicious and summery and yummy you will want to make it again and again:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/13/health/nutrition/13recipehealth.html
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    As others have said it makes an awesome breakfast. I like it with almond milk and stevia. I also made o grilled veggie and quinoa salad, super delicious and can be served hot or cold.
  • daniey89
    daniey89 Posts: 23
    Options
    I love making this salad that has red quiona in it. It serves 4 as a side or can give you two healthy meals. Here is the recipe:
    2 cups of cooked red quiona
    4 generous handfuls of baby spinach
    generous handful of dried cranberries
    Salt and Pepper

Red Wine Vinigerette
    1 tbsp od red wine vinegar
    1 tbsp extra virgin olive oi
    or a good squeese of lemon juice is fine if you don't want the oil.
    Toss all the ingredients together in a big salad bowl and enjoy! Great as a healthy alternative at bbqs with grilled chicken breast :)
  • azingale
    azingale Posts: 74
    Options
    Bump, because I LOVE quinoa! My favorite is similar to the salad above, with spinach...But I am lazy, so I just do spinach, minced garlic, lemon juice and olive oil. :)
  • sonalily
    sonalily Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My potluck recipe using quinoa

quinoa - whatever amount cooked plain
    cut up tomatoes, green, yellow, red peppers
    onions - i carmelize mine to give a less harsh onion aftertaste
    feta cheese- crumbled
    balsamic vinegar - i add alot because i like the taste
  • jumcadam
    jumcadam Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    This recipe is so amazingly delicious and summery and yummy you will want to make it again and again:

That sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing! :)
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Last night I had some (leftover -- it reheats very well) with garlic evoo, sun dried tomatoes and seasoning. Simple and delicious.
  • kgagnon7779
    kgagnon7779 Posts: 216
    Options
    Oh quinoa!! Love it! For a break on the price try finding it in the bulk bins at a health food store. Search Veggie Quinoa Pilaf on epicurious.com. It's the very best side, low fat and full of veggies! So delicious!

They also sell a huge bag of it at Costco!
  • wisecat1
    wisecat1 Posts: 41
    Options
    I cut up tomatoes, green pepper, red pepper, scaillions, black olives and toasted garlic & pine nuts with red wine vinegar. LOVE!
  • GeekGirlOnAQuest
    GeekGirlOnAQuest Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    This looks fantastic!! Thanks for sharing! I've only had quinoa once and liked it but wasn't sure what else to do with it, all these ideas look great!