Probably a silly question.....

Options
This is going to sound silly, I'm sure. But, instead of eating a certain number of calories for weight loss, could I, instead, eat the number of calories needed to maintain my goal weight? Or is that the same thing? For example, I'd like to weigh 160 lbs, so according to my activity level (lightly active), height and age, I should consume 1750 calories a day to maintain that 160 lbs. I actually weigh 210, so, will I lose eating 1750 daily? Or should I eat the recommended 1200? I hope this makes a tiny bit of sense and doesn't make me look like a complete idiot, lol. Thank you.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    yes it's the same thing.

ETA: who or what recommended 1200???
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound silly, I'm sure. But, instead of eating a certain number of calories for weight loss, could I, instead, eat the number of calories needed to maintain my goal weight? Or is that the same thing? For example, I'd like to weigh 160 lbs, so according to my activity level (lightly active), height and age, I should consume 1750 calories a day to maintain that 160 lbs. I actually weigh 210, so, will I lose eating 1750 daily? Or should I eat the recommended 1200? I hope this makes a tiny bit of sense and doesn't make me look like a complete idiot, lol. Thank you.

Not silly at all. This is entirely possible. However.....it's to be of so s l o w.

Google your TDEE - total daily energy expenditure & put in your "future" weight
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

1200 is a default minimum BEFORE exercise. You could earn additional calories. This would be faster.....but pick something you can live with for awhile.
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    The way MFP is set up you set your goals (e.g. gain, maintain or lose 0.5-2lbs/week) you eat that amount of calories and as you lose weight you recalculate to get the new number of calories, i believe every 10lbs is the recommended recalculation timeframe.

For example you I can lose weight, at 230 eating 1700 cal per day, that is the minimum i should be eating based on my goals. But once i am down to 150 that number might be 1300 to maintain. but if you were to eat that 1300 right now, you'd be in a really high deficet, which isn't healthy.
  • fiveinthenest
    fiveinthenest Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    yes it's the same thing.

ETA: who or what recommended 1200???

Well, just different apps, they automatically set my intake at 1200. I'm not sure I could do it! Thank you for the reply! ;)

• mcouey84
    mcouey84 Posts: 31 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    You will lose weight eating 1750/day...1200/day is quite aggressive, depending on your age that could be 50% of the required calories to maintain your current weight. Where are you seeing that as your recommended intake? For that matter, what length of time have you given yourself to reach this goal?

I believe MFP's food diary/calculator will adjust your goal calories as you enter new "check-in" weights.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I have my calories set for my goal weight maintenance. It's working.
  • fiveinthenest
    fiveinthenest Posts: 5 Member
    Options

I didn't know I could do that! Thanks!!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

I didn't know I could do that! Thanks!!

I figure the transition into maintenance will be super easy. :p
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I lost 50 lbs over the course of 10 months by eating my goal maintenance calories. I went off course and regained, but I'm back and still 20 lbs less than when I first started. It works and is MUCH easier to do than the 1200.

PS: The 1200 recommendation is usually when we set our weekly weight loss too high. We'd all love to lose 2 lbs a week, but it isn't reasonable as time goes on.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    1200 sounds way too aggressive. Put your stats into MFP and tell it you want to lose 1 lb/week. If it still comes out 1200, something is amiss.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    That is what I'm doing. I calculated my calories from sedentary maintenance of the middle of a healthy BMI for my height. Much easier than readjusting every so many pounds and trying to figure out the appropriate loss rate.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I just calculated my TDEE at a healthy weight for my height at sedentary and it gave me 1680. I'm currently set on 1440. It seems like it might lead to a bit slower weight loss, but seems like a decent plan?