I know I've been good...

Options
First weeks are about big losses right?

I know I've been SO good these past 8 days and other than the initial water-weight loss, I've barely seen the scale move!

I understand that this is a process and it will take time, but something has changed since I last dieted 2 years ago.

I counted calories a couple of years back and did a tedious hour of cardio every day and saw an amazing loss - but my body is holding on to its cushioning this time.

What's different? Is it my age? Then I was 32. Now I'm 34. Surely 2 years won't have changed my metabolism that much?!

Argh! I just wanted to see a decent loss this week (yes I am weighing my portions, tracking every single bite etc - being conservative with exercise calories). I just don't understand it. Could my body be warming up?!

Lol. I know your guess is as good as mine, but I'm curious. Anyone else had this and then go on to achieve their goals?

(I have at least 14-20lbs to lose)

Replies

• jdt242
    jdt242 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    alyssa0061 wrote: »
    You said you've 'barely' seen the scale move. What's barely? A pound? Half a pound?

With only 14 to 20 pounds to lose, half a pound a week is a decent loss.

I don't know what you mean by your body 'warming up'.

Hey, I mean is my body getting ready to lose 2lbs next week. As for the exact loss I'll be checking in tomorrow but it's good to hear half a pound is reasonable, as much as I'd hoped for more. Thanks
  • PJGirl91
    PJGirl91 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When I first started I was lifting weights, doing cardio and counting calories and I gained nine pounds but continued with what I was doing slowly adding in more healthy foods. Less sugar, more protein and then the weight started melting away! In the past three months I've lost 35 pounds.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    8 days is just not enough time. Perhaps you're retaining water (up to 3-5 pounds is possible) due to TOM, sodium, stress, sleep disruption, muscle soreness, etc.

It could be that 2 years ago when you started, your 'starting weight' was when you were ovulating/retaining water and thus a week later you saw a whoosh as that water retention melted away and you assumed you'd lost 4 pounds in a week.

Hang in there - and compare your weight last week to your weight at day 30. Assuming you have roughly a monthly 'cycle' then the hormonal water weight will at least be in balance so the difference would be your true weight loss.
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    It definitely can be like watching paint peel. I really like the messages here about giving it more time. Back when I was on WW, no matter how consistent my food intake and exercise was, there was a definite pattern of three weeks of loss and nothing on the fourth week. It was almost like clockwork. Frustrating! But this is a long haul, not short haul thing. It can be really hard to be patient and accept that.
  • jdt242
    jdt242 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Super advice and motivation - thank you all. Must keep at it. Long haul.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I really only show a loss on the scale one week a month, the week of my TOM. The other three weeks I fluctuate in a two to three pound range. Then my TOM starts and I go down, down, down every day until it ends. That's my whole loss for the month. It wasn't until I started using a daily weight tracking app that I realized that. If I hadn't begun logging my weight every day in the app, I probably would still be frustrated at not understanding my body's natural pattern.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Each woman's cycle/water impact is different. I gain 2-3 the day after I start, and it sticks around for a week at least.
    I really only show a loss on the scale one week a month, the week of my TOM. The other three weeks I fluctuate in a two to three pound range. Then my TOM starts and I go down, down, down every day until it ends. That's my whole loss for the month. It wasn't until I started using a daily weight tracking app that I realized that. If I hadn't begun logging my weight every day in the app, I probably would still be frustrated at not understanding my body's natural pattern.

• alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Each woman's cycle/water impact is different. I gain 2-3 the day after I start, and it sticks around for a week at least.

That's why I was sharing my experience and how beneficial a weight tracking app has been for me.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options

ANOTHER excellent point. My pattern is not the same as this, but there is a pattern, and you have to track carefully for at least two menstrual cycles (more better, obviously) to see the pattern. Me, I maintain (or gain a pound) 14 days starting TOM then lose 2 pounds (or more) in the 14 days following ovulation. It averages to 2 lb in 4 weeks. The daily scale weight fluctuation drives me crazy if I let it! Think patterns and trends, not isolated data points.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not moralistic - it's math. "Being good" means nothing as far as weight loss is concerned; ranks right up there with "eating clean". What specific behaviors have you done this time around, besides weighing all solids, measuring all liquids, and tracking your food? Have you started a new exercise routine? How much sodium are you eating? Also, if you only have 20 or so pounds to lose, you should be aiming for a loss of about half a pound per week; with not a lot to lose, you're not going to lose it very quickly.

(Lost 100 pounds. Being good had nothing to do with it.)

I'm glad you said it. I was scrolling down to state the same thing.

I'm neither "good" or "bad" and neither is my food. I'm either overeating or I'm not, but it doesn't define my "goodness".
  • incisron
    incisron Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I like your avatar. It reminds me of a Native American story.
  • melto1989
    melto1989 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm 12 days in and still waiting for something. Just keep enduring and refining your logging. Concentrate on other things than the scale.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    This is me pounding the drum for drinking more water, especially after your last meal of the day.