Complete bed rest and calorie allotment

Options

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    One of the hospital midwives came by this morning. She seemed fairly knowledgeable about nutrition (especially since she is also a lactation expert). She said BMR plus the 500 sounds like a good place to start and can be increased if needed based on how baby is growing etc.

She completely understood why I won't eat any hospital food and have my SOs bringing me my own food. She also said she will look into if the kitchen staff can order individually wrapped Udis products for me. She was incredibly nice and helpfu.

I'm glad you got some reassuring input on your plan here, Elphie. Sounds like they sent you a good one. Best wishes to you.

So am I. While I absolutely hate being confined to a hospital bed, I have to say, the staff on the maternity floor are sweet and nice.
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    When are you due?

b92.gif

Aww thank you. I'm due March 16th, but may be induced early. *TMI warning* Went to the office yesterday because I was having more discharge than normal and it was different/thinner. Turns out, I'm leaking amniotic fluid (did even knot hat could happen). Stuck in the hospital on bedrest for now (they want to see how severe/how much I'm leaking. If it isn't too severe, I maybe allowed to go home on strict bed rest, but I might be stuck here for a while.
  • elphie754
    Options
    Elphie, I didn't realize that 'complete bed rest' also meant that you are now hospitalized. :(

Hang in there! <3

For now, yes :'( I'm hoping they say that the leak is small enough that I can do bed rest at home.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Elphie, I didn't realize that 'complete bed rest' also meant that you are now hospitalized. :(

Hang in there! <3

For now, yes :'( I'm hoping they say that the leak is small enough that I can do bed rest at home.

How much longer to term? Nevermind, just saw you answered in the post above. :)
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    If you were not pregnant, it would be easy to give you suggestions and let you figure out which works for you by trial and error. But because you're pregnant its a tricky area. Can your doctor refer you to a dietician?
    So I have just been put on complete bedrest at home for the remainder of my pregnancy. Up until now, I had been doing really well with not gaining huge amount of weight (have only gained 10 lbs). First trimester I just ate at TDEE, second and the beginning of the third, I started eating TDEE plus 300 calories. Now that I am ok completely bedrest, I know that my TDEE is significantly lower, but not sure how much lower.

I was thinking that since it is completely bedrest, I should just eat 500 calories over my BMR, since BMR is how many calories you would burn if bedridden.

Is this a good idea? If not, anyone have any other suggestions?

• snickerscharlie
    Options
    Well at least there is some good news today-disability claim was approved. Had been worrried about work for weeks so this is a huge relief.

Now you just need to relax and let others take care of you. :)
  • elphie754
    Options
    If you were not pregnant, it would be easy to give you suggestions and let you figure out which works for you by trial and error. But because you're pregnant its a tricky area. Can your doctor refer you to a dietician?
    So I have just been put on complete bedrest at home for the remainder of my pregnancy. Up until now, I had been doing really well with not gaining huge amount of weight (have only gained 10 lbs). First trimester I just ate at TDEE, second and the beginning of the third, I started eating TDEE plus 300 calories. Now that I am ok completely bedrest, I know that my TDEE is significantly lower, but not sure how much lower.

I was thinking that since it is completely bedrest, I should just eat 500 calories over my BMR, since BMR is how many calories you would burn if bedridden.

Read above-dietician was useless. I likely could have gotten better advice from our cat.
    Well at least there is some good news today-disability claim was approved. Had been worrried about work for weeks so this is a huge relief.

Ugh!!! I absolutely hate people taking care of me lol.
  • snickerscharlie
    edited January 2017
    Options

Read above-dietician was useless. I likely could have gotten better advice from our cat.

Ugh!!! I absolutely hate people taking care of me lol.

Me, too. Get used to it. ;)
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    @elphie754

What a difficult pregnancy this has been for you, poor love. I haven't anything to offer other than hugs and very best wishes for you, your baby and your family. I think you are a trooper, Elphie, you have handled so many obstacles and problems with grace and bravery. You are amazing.

<3
  • elphie754
    Options
    @elphie754

What a difficult pregnancy this has been for you, poor love. I haven't anything to offer other than hugs and very best wishes for you, your baby and your family. I think you are a trooper, Elphie, you have handled so many obstacles and problems with grace and bravery. You are amazing.

<3

No I'm not lol. There are times where I am cranky B that no one should have to deal with.

I'm really hoping they say the leak is enough that I can be let go from my jail cell. Staying here long term...ill freak out
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Aww thank you. I'm due March 16th, but may be induced early. *TMI warning* Went to the office yesterday because I was having more discharge than normal and it was different/thinner. Turns out, I'm leaking amniotic fluid (did even knot hat could happen). Stuck in the hospital on bedrest for now (they want to see how severe/how much I'm leaking. If it isn't too severe, I maybe allowed to go home on strict bed rest, but I might be stuck here for a while.

The good news is, it is really common for amniotic leaks to seal themselves up so there is a good chance that with bedrest and relaxing that this could happen with you. They will still likely keep you on bedrest at home even if it does seal up, but it does allow for you to go closer to full term which is better for baby. Yep. Time for some good hobbies (or a lot of hard puzzles). ;) You're almost done! Hang in there!
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    One of the hospital midwives came by this morning. She seemed fairly knowledgeable about nutrition (especially since she is also a lactation expert). She said BMR plus the 500 sounds like a good place to start and can be increased if needed based on how baby is growing etc.

She completely understood why I won't eat any hospital food and have my SOs bringing me my own food. She also said she will look into if the kitchen staff can order individually wrapped Udis products for me. She was incredibly nice and helpful.

I'm glad there's someone there who seems knowledgeable and is understanding of the situation, especially with your allergies.

I hadn't realized that you were actually hospitalized, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you'll get 'paroled' or at least a mitigated sentence with 'house arrest' :wink:

So in the meantime, let them take care of you (I know, I know easier said than done) and just worry about yourself and your little one.

*hugs*
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I too didn't realize this was bed rest at the hospital. I bet before long they will send you home on bed rest too. You really have been doing well overall with all the obstacles. Its getting closer everyday. Hugs to you .
  • elphie754
    Options

The good news is, it is really common for amniotic leaks to seal themselves up so there is a good chance that with bedrest and relaxing that this could happen with you. They will still likely keep you on bedrest at home even if it does seal up, but it does allow for you to go closer to full term which is better for baby. Yep. Time for some good hobbies (or a lot of hard puzzles). ;) You're almost done! Hang in there!

This is what I am hoping for, but today that's not happening and I am still held prisoner in L&D lol.

ladyreva78 wrote: »

She completely understood why I won't eat any hospital food and have my SOs bringing me my own food. She also said she will look into if the kitchen staff can order individually wrapped Udis products for me. She was incredibly nice and helpful.

I'm glad there's someone there who seems knowledgeable and is understanding of the situation, especially with your allergies.

I hadn't realized that you were actually hospitalized, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you'll get 'paroled' or at least a mitigated sentence with 'house arrest' :wink:

So in the meantime, let them take care of you (I know, I know easier said than done) and just worry about yourself and your little one.

*hugs*

I've been trying. Today I'm just exhausted though, so I've been sleeping pretty much all day. So waiting patiently for SOnto get here because I'm bored.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Home stretch!

cute-puppies29.gif
  • eugenia94102
    eugenia94102 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Cornell University has an online calculator for non ambulatory/ recovering people. Google it (sorry I'm on the mobile, I can post a link when I get to a real computer).
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Some good news today-tomorrow I will be able to go home, but on strict home bed rest. At least it will be less boring than here.

Yay!!!! So happy for some positive news. Going home will make the time pass so much more pleasantly. Good luck with finding all sorts of interesting things to keep your mind occupied.

....and despite you saying that you have been a B***** at times, I still think that you are amazing. Pregnancy is hard even when everything is 'perfect', you have really had it tough and being on 'best' behaviour always is just not feasible or reasonable. <3
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Some good news today-tomorrow I will be able to go home, but on strict home bed rest. At least it will be less boring than here.

Oh elphie I'm so happy for you!!!

I've been following all of the threads you've posted and I just want to say I'm super impressed with how well you've handled things. I can see it's been quite a struggle and you're doing great <3.

Do your best to relax at home - perhaps now is the time to find some good audiobooks and get a coloring book or some word searches/crosswords to work on!

You've got this.

~Lyssa
  • elphie754
    Options

Yay!!!! So happy for some positive news. Going home will make the time pass so much more pleasantly. Good luck with finding all sorts of interesting things to keep your mind occupied.

....and despite you saying that you have been a B***** at times, I still think that you are amazing. Pregnancy is hard even when everything is 'perfect', you have really had it tough and being on 'best' behaviour always is just not feasible or reasonable. <3

Awwwww thank you.
    macgurlnet wrote: »

Oh elphie I'm so happy for you!!!

I've been following all of the threads you've posted and I just want to say I'm super impressed with how well you've handled things. I can see it's been quite a struggle and you're doing great <3.

Do your best to relax at home - perhaps now is the time to find some good audiobooks and get a coloring book or some word searches/crosswords to work on!

You've got this.

~Lyssa

Thank you