Replies

• Rachael_789
    Rachael_789 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Oh am a fan of cauliflower rice.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    @lorrpb it is slightly different, but not much. I rice my cauliflower with a box grater for the best texture, but I buy this one occasionally when I'm lazy.
  • yogagirlT
    yogagirlT Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Why is it not called cauliflower crumbs?

Green Giant calls them crumbles. ax2712sr6bdd.png

The package states this is chopped cauliflower rather than riced. I don't know what difference that makes, but I'd bet there is a slightly different texture.

The crumbles are great for mashed Cauliflower but I think they are too big for rice. I have bought this brand before but only to make mashed.
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    bird's eye makes califlower rice, it rocks. 20 calories and 4 carbs!
  • reinventionave
    reinventionave Posts: 2 Member
    Options

does this item freeze/thaw well or does the texture change after freezing?
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options

I've not tried the Green Giant Cauliflower Crumbles, but I've had both frozen riced cauliflower and fresh and didn't notice any significant difference between the two.
  • ajaysharma316
    ajaysharma316 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Even I have freezed cauliflower rice many times. Its thaws quite well
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I freeze my homemade or store bought cauliflower rice - raw if I plan to cook it to serve - or seasoned and cooked in part of meal prep. Both are fine!
  • ajaysharma316
    Options
    I freeze my homemade or store bought cauliflower rice - raw if I plan to cook it to serve - or seasoned and cooked in part of meal prep. Both are fine!

great
  • FlippingFins
    FlippingFins Posts: 20 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I find that cauliflower rice makes a very easy pizza base. Mix it with two eggs, until it forms a dough of sorts. Flatten into a pizza base shape. Part bake. Remove. Add toppings. Return to oven. It can be a bit soggy, but with the right selection of toppings you can mask the cauliflower flavour quite a bit.
  • ajaysharma316
    Options
    I find that cauliflower rice makes a very easy pizza base. Mix it with two eggs, until it forms a dough of sorts. Flatten into a pizza base shape. Part bake. Remove. Add toppings. Return to oven. It can be a bit soggy, but with the right selection of toppings you can mask the cauliflower flavour quite a bit.

I love cauliflower Base Pizza...
  • tnunez1
    tnunez1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower rice looks amazing. Will definitely try it.
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Hey thanks for posting this! I was just going to post a thread about white rice replacements. I'm planning to make a big pot of vegetable dal tomorrow and I don't want to ruin it with white rice.

Another thing I've done, especially with family members who are eating white rice, is serve a quarter cup of rice, mix it with a tablespoon of ground flax seed flour (more vitamins, fiber, and texture than brown rice, and a good source of omega 3 fatty acids too) and then put it side by side with a heaping pile of lowfat cottage cheese. This lowers the glycemic index and also has waaaay more protein than just eating white rice.
  • ajaysharma316
    Options
    Hey thanks for posting this! I was just going to post a thread about white rice replacements. I'm planning to make a big pot of vegetable dal tomorrow and I don't want to ruin it with white rice.

Another thing I've done, especially with family members who are eating white rice, is serve a quarter cup of rice, mix it with a tablespoon of ground flax seed flour (more vitamins, fiber, and texture than brown rice, and a good source of omega 3 fatty acids too) and then put it side by side with a heaping pile of lowfat cottage cheese. This lowers the glycemic index and also has waaaay more protein than just eating white rice.

Thanks and thats a neat trick
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    keharty wrote: »
    And now Green Giant makes several different versions of riced cauliflower you can get in the freezer section. Super convenient!

I bought the frozen cauliflower fried rice, which I have not tried yet and the fresh cauliflower fried rice, which was pretty good. I just sauteed them in olive oil and added seasonings. I did not let it cook long enough because I was too hungry. The next day I added onion and cooked it a little longer. I was pretty impressed. I asked my mom for a food processor specifically to make cauliflower rice, but I have not done it yet.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I make Mexican cauliflower rice all the time. So good!
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options

Must be freezable as Green Giant also has frozen cauliflower crumbles in the freezer section now.
    They have veggie tots too, but I have not tried them.
  • sumrdream
    sumrdream Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I love it! I make a cilantro, lime rice that's good! Really good alternative for a low carb diet...
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,603 Member
    Options
    I was surprised by how much I liked this. I like the texture of blitzed cauliflower raw, though the hubby prefers to zap in the microwave for 2 minutes. I usually use a half and half mixture with normal cooked white rice. I freeze in portions too. But do be careful with the container you use for freezing. I notice that the cauliflower can take on a plastic taste in some containers.