What Counts as Water?

Options
This is probably a dumb question, but what counts towards your daily water intake? I have been drinking a lot of homemade iced tea lately with Ideal sweetener. Would this count towards my water intake or would only water count?

Replies

• emciriaco
    emciriaco Posts: 41
    Options
    Only water counts. Iced tea is actually a diuretic (like coffee and some sodas) and signals the body to retain water.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Your gonna get alot of different opinions as this is a loaded question in these parts!! LOL :drinker:

For me, everything liquid unless it is super saturated with caffeine as this then tend to be a diruetic. It'll be your call in the end! There are several studies that do suggest that all liquid are fine unless they are SUPER concentrated with caffeine. Depends if you are a purest or not!

Good Luck!!
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Only water is water in my opinion.

I also log all my other drinks in a specially created 'drinks' section so I can see where I might want to make changes in the future. I don't drink tea or coffee though so it's not too much.
  • lilieslosinit
    lilieslosinit Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I might allow myself to count a glass or two of iced tea as water. I believe it is the caffeine that makes it be a diuretic, but in my opinion (not backed by anything), it is an ok way to hydrate.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    You're going to get different answers so I'll just answer how I log mine. I only count plain water (squeezed lime or lemon counts on the rare occasion I do) and nothing else. If I have carbonated water, tea, Club Soda, etc. I log that in my food diary, not my water consumption. This is just me though.
  • AlannaPie
    AlannaPie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! Does lemon water count?
  • chrisfnet
    chrisfnet Posts: 83
    Options
    I would count tea IF AND ONLY IF it is being consumed in moderation. Caffeine does not have a diuretic effect in typically-consumed amounts.

Also, diuretics actually prompt the kidney to release more fluid into the collecting ducts which actually serves to decrease blood volume (and therefore tissue perfusion).
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I personally only count pure water as water. I don't count water in protein shakes, teas, coffee, or even the water if I add flavor packets (like Crystal light).
  • Janelle_Teaches
    Options
    I also log all my other drinks in a specially created 'drinks' section so I can see where I might want to make changes in the future. I don't drink tea or coffee though so it's not too much.

i love the idea of creating a 'drinks' tab..i'm going to go do that now!! I bet it will be a big eye opener to see all those stats grouped together...i'll create a veggie tab too!!

Thank you for inspiring me :)
  • Kittyfeliz
    Kittyfeliz Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Don't forget fruit! Some people count melons since they have so much water and if you're drinking decaffeinated tea or herbal tea I would count it.
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    if you want a pure detox and the best skin you and hair you can get, then just water. Nothing else will do the trick. It is ok to drink other things just make sure to get in at least 8 cups of water on top of everything else.
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Yes, you're going to get lot of diff opinions. Let me just say this, I used to be of the mindset that diet sodas and iced tea counted as water. When I started counting just water as water, and therefore drinking 8 glasses or more a day, I noticed a HUGE difference in my energy and appearance (my face sorta glows now). I recommend counting just water as water if only for those reasons alone :smile:
  • SUNNY613
    SUNNY613 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    yea i think ony water should count as water...a little lemon or lime is ok(in my opinion)
  • babs23
    babs23 Posts: 86
    Options

This is what I do, too. I created a "meal name" (click on settings) called "drinks / snacks" so I can see exactly how many calories I'm drinking, and how any snacks impact my day, nutritionally. It helps a lot. :)
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I only count water as water. Anything else goes into my food log.

But, it's your decision. Try it different ways and see what works best for you.
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    "Eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day. Another approach to water intake is the "8 x 8 rule" — drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day (about 1.9 liters). The rule could also be stated, "Drink eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day," as all fluids count toward the daily total. Although the approach really isn't supported by scientific evidence, many people use this easy-to-remember rule as a guideline for how much water and other fluids to drink." Source Mayo Clinic http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283
  • karhaz123
    karhaz123 Posts: 35
    Options
    How does everyone else feel about the Crystal light packets? I put one in a bottle water today. The Green tea and peach one. I thought maybe I would count it as water but I don't know anymore!!
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I drink water and count it as water...the coffee or tea is logged so it makes it easier to monitor . The caffiene is a diuretic and you get none of the water benefits
  • red_hatorade
    red_hatorade Posts: 166
    Options
    I drink decaffeinated green tea and Tazo Passion and Wild Sweet Orange tea, which are both naturally caffeine free herbal infusions.
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options

I agree. When you add things to water, like tea (green or black, coffee, drink mix ..even sugar free..) it has to go through a different "filtering" process in your body, not doing the same job as plain water.